[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is sRGB good for gaming? What color temperature do you use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: adobergbvssrgb.jpg (96 KB, 400x433) Image search: [Google]
adobergbvssrgb.jpg
96 KB, 400x433
Is sRGB good for gaming? What color temperature do you use?
>>
unless you are a professional that needs color accuracy and all that comes with it, it really won't matter.
>>
>>51744379
TN is good for gaming and TN is generally an even smaller colorspace than sRGB. To even get 100% sRGB coverage (let alone Adobe) you're going to spend probably 50% more money compared to a monitor that doesn't feature it's colorspace specs.
>>
>>51744379
sRGB is already too wide for gaming
sauce : I have a 100% sRGB screen and the colors are oversaturated by default
>>
>>51744379
pls stop, you don't know what you are talking about
>>
>>51745152
Yeah difficult to see dark parts of the map where you have no vision in DOTA/HoN with sRGB.
>>
>>51744379
For something that can Adobe RGB you're looking in this price range.
http://amzn.com/B00OKSEVTY
$1K
SOURCE: I use one for color grading previews and desktop space for Resolve.

For high accuracy you'll need one of these.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1015240-REG/sony_pvma170_17_professional_oled.html
$3-4K

Long story short, you won't see it on a samsung HDMI, and anything around 4000k temp will better help you sleep at night.
>>
>>51745303
>DOTA
fuck off
>>
>>51744379
Pretty much all content is made for (some approximation of) sRGB already so yes.

I use 5600 K during daytime and ~4000 K at night. Any more than that just causes eye strain in all but the edgiest grimdarkest applications.
>>
My shitty cheapass monitor gets all those colours lol I can see them on my screen suck it /g/
>>
>>51745152
Is it set to sRGB mode by default? It could also just be a shit panel, most "100% rgb" panels have poor factory calibration and a 10bit panel, and call it 100% sRGB.

If it's actually 100% sRGB, then I'm assuming what you're referring to as "over-saturated" is just a warmer color temperature because the blues have been lessened, because monitors tend to produce too much blue when un-calibrated. It's not as pleasant to look at initially when you're used to old blue spouting gaming TN panels, but your eyes will get used to it, and it is meant to be an accurate representation of color for production.

Anything less than a 10bit sRGB panel, such as common 8bit panels, are absolute pleb tier. You will have banding and dithering, because your panel can not display all of the colors of sRGB, which is the color space used almost everywhere in digital media.

Tldr: This has NOTHING to do with gaming really, but it still looks like ass. I use color temperature 5500.

Adobe RGB is usually used for high end printing and stuff. It has a wider color space. sRGB is used for internet stuff. sRGB was adopted when hardware was shittier, and internet was slower, and has less total color space. The two do not convert between each-other without quality loss. Even Adobe RGB only covers about 50% of visible light, so it would be preferable in a perfect world.

Imo we should switch to Adobe RGB for all new hardware being manufactured like monitors, and completely abandon .jpg, but hey, life isn't perfect.
>>
>>51745900
My impression is that a lot of gaming art is designed for a monitors with light-colored blacks. I find it hard to see dark-colored areas in games with a wide-gamut IPS.
>>
>>51746526
If you use a console you can change the range from full to limited making the darkest light again.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.