[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wdg/ - Web Dev General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 1449342190628.png (747 KB, 824x553) Image search: [Google]
1449342190628.png
747 KB, 824x553
Old Thread: >>51702492

>IRC Channel
#/g/wdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://www.rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.bento.io/
https://programming-motherfucker.com/
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
https://www.theodinproject.com/

>Frontend development
https://github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
https://pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/ (embed)
https://libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/ (embed)
>>
What are you guys working on?
>>
>>51737180
first
>>
Why should I use MongoDB over SQL?
>>
File: sql.png (40 KB, 1262x706) Image search: [Google]
sql.png
40 KB, 1262x706
I can't into MySQL. http://sqlfiddle.com/#!9/4ff22d/1

Given this scenario where creature 10 evolves to 11 and creature 11 evolves to 12, how would you search for all prior evolutions of creature 12 in one query?

Returning 11 is simple since it'd involve just searching 12 in 'evolves_to'. But returning 10 or both 10 and 11 would involve going through 12 to 11 to 10, which I'm not sure how to do with subqueries or joins. [spoiler]Sorry for the probably silly question.[/spoiler]
>>
>>51737712
http://mikehillyer.com/articles/managing-hierarchical-data-in-mysql/
>>
BTW anons if you are interested in easier and more technologically futuristic programming language you should check out clojure. It has a lot of future in the comings years. Companies started adopting it. And it's going to be the next /g/ lang
>>
>>51737600
you shouldn't
>>
>>51737180
>>51737163
still working on http://www.nask.co
please report suggestions, bugs and features!
I noticed that people distrust random links, so I have to say: this website does NOT use flash, NOR it does require javascript to use it. it only uses JS for the advanced features. these features make it much easier to use, though.

>>51732867
both, helping and advertising. the idea is to ask people for feedback, and, of course, attract users.
I've noticed that people make threads advertising websites that are still in development, so why not?

>>51734479
hey, thanks!
>>
If anyone knows angular js i need some serious help for a project im working on. I'm trying to create a chart data visualization. Please IM me on gmail. My gmail is [email protected]

Please anons
>>
>>51738755
no, fuck off
>>
New client got fucked over by their previous dev. Looking into the source for a custom wp plugin and there's little sprinklings of SQL queries that delete everything. Guys if you're going to shit on a client just delete some stuff so the new dev doesn't have to wade through your garbage. Also if you write code like this I hope that you'll get hit by a car in the near future.
>>
>>51739383
Are you getting paid by hour?
>>
>>51739550
>Are you getting paid by hour?

Uh.. yes
>>
>>51739383
>mysql_query
>2015

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this anon
>>
>>51739383

oh god, honestly I don't consider myself a good developer, but this is just terrible, looks like an inexperienced intern wrote this.
>>
File: 1449254597689.jpg (374 KB, 828x1403) Image search: [Google]
1449254597689.jpg
374 KB, 828x1403
>>51739729
Outsourced to Thailand. You have to deal with stuff like this from time to time. It's usually never this bad. I'm currently recreating a spreadsheet from this website that stores some content in a Drupal database and other content in a Wordpress database. They're both poorly organized but Drupal is a fucking nightmare. For example Drupal stores content types in `nodes` which have `node_ids`, the body of those `nodes` are stored in the `revision` table. For this particular site only a Recipe's tips are stored in the `revision` table. So now I have to search through this database for whatever table holds the actual recipe data.

The only upside of this kind of work is I can tell the client that they were fucked and charge for like 3 times the amount of actual work hours.
>>
>>51739383
HAHAHA, not even I, a shitty south american wanna-be webdev would do this shit
it's as if they didn't care about being responsible for their work...
>>
Cool
http://www.pocketjavascript.com/blog/2015/11/23/introducing-pokedex-org
>>
Which db should I use for data with no clearly defined shape, but some properties are shared?

For example, I may have a car (with properties like color, age) and a shirt (color, male/female).

I'm planning on using elastic for text search, could it perhaps be used as the main store?
>>
>>51740341

You're thinking about your database too much under a microscope. It is fine for a car to have a color and a shirt to have a color. They are two different things.
>>
>>51740424
You didn't understand.

My problem is that I may have 100 types of items with different properties. How should I store those if I want them to be query-able?

Elastic seems to be what I need but I've never heard of someone using it as their primary storage.
>>
>>51737600
Read and write inconsistency, a bloated binary JSON format, broken clustering model and strange looks from decent devs.
>>
>>51740558
Is the data relational or more atomic?
>>
>>51740959
Atomic. The only relational thing I can think of is each item having something like "owner".
>>
>>51741334
Oh, and belonging to a category.
>>
>>51741334
>>51741361
Try RethinkDB with secondary indexes.
>>
>>51741374
Thanks, I'll have to read up on RethinkDB, the only thing I know about it is that it supports realtime data streaming.

Any thoughts on using elasticsearch solo (since I will need text search, might as well kill two flies with one stone)?
>>
>>51741429
Never heard of using it as a data store, but know feeding realtime changefeeds into elasticsearch is a common pattern.
>>
>>51737600
Because you want to lose data?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs
>>
File: 1434864142206.jpg (306 KB, 629x800) Image search: [Google]
1434864142206.jpg
306 KB, 629x800
I started learning Python and was able to do a little bit, make super simple text adventures and stuff. I fell for the javascript meme and it caused me to lose all interest and I've actually gotten worse over the past month. Fuck you all im just gonna make dumbfuck useless shit forever now
>>
Holy shit, nginx blows apache out of the fucking water.
Can't wait to replace apache on my main server.
>>
>>51741889

In what ways?
>>
>>51742018
All ways.
Configuration for one, apache is just a disgusting mess of XML.
>>
File: 1440353111814.png (304 KB, 722x768) Image search: [Google]
1440353111814.png
304 KB, 722x768
>>51741470
I keep reading your name everywhere, and I tend to agree with most of your posts, which make me curious. I'm guessing you're developing something, would you mind explaining what?
>>
>>51742310
>name
Didn't notice. Sorry, I put it on once last week and somehow it keeps popping back. Hopefully it will be gone after closing all 4chan tabs.
Slowly learning Go and rewriting a realtime Node imageboard in it. Switching the data store from Redis (yes, I know) to RethinkDB and from mixed server/client rendering to static server-side page templates + dynamic client-side rendering.
>>
>>51741868
Javascript is not a meme. It powers the web. Unless you're an autist that has a completely static web site, you should keep learning Javascript.
>>
>>51743816
ES5 is painful to write. ES6 is big improvement, but I would not consider writing async code in it till ES7.
>>
>>51743816
most websites should not REQUIRE JS to work.
>>
>>51743816
JavaScript isn't a meme in itself, but the way node developers push a new fucking JS library every month is pretty disgusting.

>>51744075
I want to agree with you, but I think we lost that war a long ago. Now I'm just hoping that Web Assembly goes somewhere good.
>>
>>51744104
see >>51738534 . you don't need JS to use my website. in fact, for some forum software, JS only makes things worse. example: vbulletin 5
>>
So, yeah, I want to learn php/mysql and javascript so I can change my shit job, since I've been told it isn't that hard to get a decent one here in Argentina. Is there any way to start learning via mobile phone (android)? I spent too much time at my shit job (with no internet access) and wanted to be somewhat productive at least.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>51744172
Download some books at home and read them at work?
>>
>>51744172
>programming in your phone
dale guachin media pila

i landed a job after about 8 months of learning from literal scratch (i didn't even know basic html). i dont make a lot but i work in a fun office doing simple frontend tasks with some eventual backend fixes

the most important part is motivation. if you have some monies, go to educacion it (i believe the 10month program is about 10000 peronpesos), you won't learn a lot but it'll serve you as guidance and motivation
>>
>>51744331
But, mi amigo, I pay for rent, that's a lot of money for me. I'll be reading manuals at work and practicing shit at home, hopefully I'll be able to leave this 'customer service' shithole soon
>>
I'm using C# asp.net with MVC framework and on the default template I used the Owin.Security.Providers to add external login with Steam. It works perfectly on localhost (while debugging), but it fails randomly when trying to login when I publish it to IIS on the same machine. It fails on the ExternalLoginCallback, the function that gets called after Steam finishes with authentication.

var loginInfo = await AuthenticationManager.GetExternalLoginInfoAsync(); // this sometimes returns null randomly

In my Startup.Auth.cs, I just added this, everything else is default mvc template code (vs 2013).
app.UseSteamAuthentication(steamkey);
>>
>>51744331
>dale guachin media pila
che loco, como andas?
>>
>>51744652
todo piola vos?
>>
>>51744724
igual, piola. aca perdiendo el tiempo, como todos los dias.
>>
I built an E-commerce website from scratch (hand coded, no framework used - huge mistake that I only realized afterwards) for my final year CS college project. It's meant to be used by college students to buy/trade textbooks and other college related resources. It was written in PHP/MySQL. For sure it's miles better than the other ones like it that I've come across on there. The fact that I didn't use a framework to build it means maintaining it is a bitch, though. And there are a few security kinks that need to be sorted out over time.

I'm thinking about putting it on Github and making it free for anyone to use, do you guys think that's a good idea? On one hand I want to put it out there so I can add it to my portfolio as a reference point for something significant I've created, but on the other hand I fear that someone will take all the credit for my work. Has anyone here added anything to GitHub and how do you feel about this?
>>
File: stallman1.jpg (48 KB, 540x407) Image search: [Google]
stallman1.jpg
48 KB, 540x407
>>51745147
>>
>>51745147
I haven't heard of anyone using GitHub to steal credit, so you shouldn't really worry about that.

I've got a bunch of stuff up there. Good backup for code.
>>
>>51745496

Alright. I'll put it up later this week once I have time to remove the personal details and share it with /wdg/
>>
>>51745584
Double-check to make sure you aren't uploading any credentials. Blackhats scan all uploads and if you've included something like AWS keys, people will find it and spin up a bunch of Bitcoin miners on your credit card.
>>
>>51739383
Reminder that in web dev and web dev alone, people believing "it's working" is the full extent of their responsibilities.

That's selfish, and this poor man is realising that.

>>51741868
Being a good programmer means enjoying a challenge and even enjoying bugs: they're another challenge. The mediocre programmers only cares about the feeling of "it's finally finished".

I'm depressed as fuck: my website is done. I just need to upload to nuget, update my Github and that's it. I hate being finished.

>>51744075
>>51744125
How do you do ajax requests? Or do you retrieve data the user may not need?

JavaScript is essential. Beyond breaking data/presentation separation (core in all MVC, MVVM, MV* ideas), you need it in between your backend and HTML/CSS. The alternative is something like mixing php and html or asp and html, imo that should really be avoided.

>>51745496
>>51745147
Yeah... Maybe not the best idea to put your school work on your Github. I reserve my Github for things I'd feasibly expect people to want to use and want to modify, both are really key.

My web framework seems to be one of the fastest around for C#, that being said people who use it might want to change the headers or encoding, which is perfectly okay so long as they're not profiteering from my work, which I haven't even managed yet. They may want to take away features and make it even faster, if you lock it to json and either 200/404 codes and remove all processing after hitting user developers pages, you can get it to consistently respond in 300 microseconds.

The thing is, no one is going to want to use someone's school assignment for their ecommerce website (no offence), and in 5 years time you may really not want to show your immature work to your prospective employers, which is assuming hr look at code, but whatever.
>>
>>51739383
>mysql_real_escape_string
So PHP has fake SQL escapes too?
>>
>>51739383
Oh I just realized, this cunt didn't know how to use a for loop.

These people really exist in web dev huh? Glad to know the types that deserve jobs instead of me.
>>
Any node fags use nvm programmatically? Is there a package for that? I found one on npm, but it hasn't been updated in 2 years, and the repo behind it is dead. I'm fine with writing my own, but not if I'd be reinventing the wheel.
>>
>>51745812
>no one is going to want to use someone's school assignment for their ecommerce website

You're right, because Open Classifieds (not exactly tailored to college students like mine) is open source and available on GitHub so they would have no reason to use mine. But I'm thinking more along the lines of other college students who may want to do something similar. I'm not even looking to make money off it, because as mentioned before there are other vaguely similar e-commerce open source solutions available. I'll put it up anyways. Maybe it'll become something worthwhile someday with other people contributing to it.
>>
>>51746236
Helping other students is Admirable, but do you think they'll get more benefit out of copying your work or going through the same process you did? School work man, you might not want to enable cheaters.
>>
>>51746092
What are you trying to do?
>>
>>51747012
At work, we have many different node processes running on one box doing different automated tasks. It's managed by a server of sorts that lets us keep track of errors and logging. It's on fucking 0.10.x...

I'd like to throw nvm in the mix and have the node version as a config property of these tasks, but I need a way to make sure the version being asked for is availableat deploy time. Setting the interpreter for the tasks is already built in, so really this would just be for validation. I could see managing installed versions of node in the future too.

I just want to use nvm inside node like I can use npm inside node.
>>
>>51745812
>>How do you do ajax requests? Or do you retrieve data the user may not need?
>what are forms
do you even HTML, bro? you could have read the source code... you know, it's HTML5 + JS, and it's not even obfuscated
>>
>>51739383
welcome to php
>>
>>51747456
That's not necessarily PHP, just some guy who can't do control statements as simple as for. Quality control must be low in web dev, I bet whoever hired that person either felt so good about themselves for giving "opportunities" to developing worlds, or they felt so good about hiring on gender or racial grounds instead of by skill.

>>51747367
Still need JavaScript to do anything with forms, again, unless you're using PHP/ASP and fucking MV* up.
>>
>>51745947

Those functions were deprecated 2 full iterations ago of PHP. Besides, if you're interacting with a database using PHP, using any method other than PDO should get you fired on the spot.
>>
File: Despair.webm (1 MB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
Despair.webm
1 MB, 450x472
>>51739383
>>
>>51739383
I feel bad for you man
>>
File: k0VlAwQ.jpg (908 KB, 2131x2131) Image search: [Google]
k0VlAwQ.jpg
908 KB, 2131x2131
New personal site. Thoughts?

LowLevel.us
>>
>>51747892

Going to be difficult to maintain as you add more content
>>
File: DZE8fQG-1.jpg (63 KB, 242x321) Image search: [Google]
DZE8fQG-1.jpg
63 KB, 242x321
>>51747975
What do you mean? The javascript automatically resizes the body based on how many divs there are. As a personal site I also can't imagine there being too much stuff I could put in there
>>
>>51747892
up the font size a bit
besides that im digging it. a little bare but i assume you are going to add more to it over the years.
how did you make it?
>>
>>51747892
Cute.
You seem pretty chill but
>coding
really niqqa?
>>
clueless fuck here, I just finished learning python. what do next?
>>
File: 9axqGvk.png (586 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
9axqGvk.png
586 KB, 720x720
>>51748102
Font only scales in increments of 16. I used vim? Not sure what you mean by "how did you make it"

>>51748272
What word would you prefer. I honestly never talk about it irl so it sounded weird when I typed it also...
>>
File: No_fe1de6_977806.jpg (53 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
No_fe1de6_977806.jpg
53 KB, 600x480
>>51748338
Come up with a project and do it
>>
>>51748352
i mean like does github have like a website thing that hosts your own sites?
>>
>>51748695
Yes.
https://pages.github.com/
>>
>>51739383
>tfw you have to work on a codebase like this with strict short deadlines
>>
>>51748720
wow thats cool. i dont really know much about github so i guess i should learn more about it
>>
Can any macfags let me know if it's worth learning Safari's dev tools? Is there anything appealing you find in them?

I'm still using good old Firefox.
>>
sine waves in vanilla CSS how?
>>
>>51748841
just try it and see if you like it
chrome dev tools are really popular though
>>
>>51747193
Is throwing an error and exiting on wrong version good enough?
>>
File: 1441391213687.png (672 KB, 906x799) Image search: [Google]
1441391213687.png
672 KB, 906x799
>>51747822
Eh it only took 3.5 hours to fix. Charged the client for 6.5 and called it a day.
>>
>>51748841
Literally nothing beats Chrome's dev tools. Firefox fags will talk up Firebug but that's a dated POS nowadays.
>>
>>51747892
>* selector
>>
can someone tell me what i did wrong here?
im getting a null reference exception on the first one so i assume it would happen to all of them too
 //reservation.ArrivalDate = Convert.ToDateTime(txtArrivalDate.Text);
reservation.DepartureDate = reservation.ArrivalDate.AddDays(Convert.ToInt32(txtNights.Text));
reservation.ArrivalDate = Convert.ToDateTime(txtArrivalDate.Text);
reservation.NoOfAdults = Convert.ToInt32(ddlAdults.SelectedValue);
reservation.NoOfChildren = Convert.ToInt32(ddlChildren.SelectedValue);

the reservation class has the proper getter and setters and the txtNights and other things all exist
>>
>>51747548
>Still need JavaScript to do anything with forms
what the FUCK did I just read? do you faggots really don't know the most basic things about HTML?!?!
holy fucking shit, no wonder programmers say webdev is cancer...
>>
>>51747548
>Still need JavaScript to do anything with forms
educate you'reself fucking cancer

http://purecss.io/forms/
>>
File: lambdas.png (21 KB, 579x122) Image search: [Google]
lambdas.png
21 KB, 579x122
I've been programming in JavaScript so much lately that I started throwing lambdas into my code here and there

auto, stl and lambdas make C++ a lot more tolerable
>>
>>51749900
probably because your "reservation" is null?
>>
>>51750087
That is beautiful and I love how there's code examples right on the front page.

How would you compare and contrast that library to zurb's foundation?

Both let you highly stylize forms
>>
>>51750259
* or your strings
>>
>>51750231

That's an awful lot of 'auto' without any clear indication of WTF they're supposed to be.
>>
>>51750268
all i have for reservation is
private Reservation reservation;
is there supposed to be something after that?
i thought all the strings get filled by calling the class and the strings from the current page fill it?
>>
>>51750307
I don't know what language you're using but usually classes are null by default until you create a new instance
>>
>>51750348
im using c#, building some methods to send data to a database and to other pages
this method is part of a submit button that sends the data to another page. the method and button that sends the data to a database works fine.
so would i have to do something like 'new reservation = ______' ?
i have
reservation = (Reservation)Session["Reservation"];

in the page load right now.
sorry if this seems dumb ive never used c# before only java
>>
>>51750263
>library
u wot m8 you just write html+css and give it some parameters to style it, the fuck you need a library for
>>
>>51750407
Yes, you can either write "reservation = new Reservation();" (assuming the constructor doesn't need any parameters)
Or you can assign it to an already existing instance of your class

I don't know what "(Reservation)Session["Reservation"];" is but if it's something like a Dictionary then it can return null as well
>>
>>51750649
i think it does need parameters, the arrival date, departure date and a lot of other things are all things to get and set in the class, do i have to write them all out in the parameter like in a java method or is there another way?
>>
>>51750717
It doesn't make much sense for Reservation constructor to require parameters if you set all of those variables afterwards
"new Reservation();" should work

But in C# you can also write:
reservation = new Reservation()
{
DepartureDate = " ",
ArrivalDate = " ",
NoOfAdults = " ",
NoOfChildren = " "
};
>>
>>51751056
damn that worked!
thanks so much. i was really stressed about this last week and now it looks like ill be ok
thank you anon
>>
I clicked on this ad on /g/, do you think this is a legit course?

https://www.udemy.com/complete-web-development-course/?couponCode=EARLYLEARNERS09

I want to get into IoT shit and while i know a lot of the "things" side of it, i dont really know about the "internet" side of the thing.
>>
where do I find good projects that accept commits or contributors that I can throw on my resume?
>>
>>51749348
Yep, for now definitely.
>>
>>51739383
lol, I wrote this. you are just mad you don't have crazy hacking skills like me.

if you want I can help you..
>>
File: datsnew.jpg (26 KB, 479x350) Image search: [Google]
datsnew.jpg
26 KB, 479x350
>>51739383
> tab, space, tab, space

Is this shit for real? Is that just your editor being weird? What the actual fuck.
>>
>>51752019
You would actually admit to that? Holy fuck dude, how did you not learn what a for loop is?
>>
>>51751748
Oh, sorry. Misread your post. Nvm is just a bash script. Query it with child_process.exec() . And use process.version to check the running process from inside.
>>
>>51752398
That's exactly my plan, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something like that already available.

Thanks, anon
>>
>>51752019
If so, why aren't you using $wpdb to escape/run the queries?
mysql_* functions will not work anymore, starting from PHP 7.
>>
>>51752354
nothing wrong with being a pro hacker dude

>>51752645
who gives a if it breaks. I didn't get paid to make LTS code. If the guy wants me to fix it, he should hire me again :)
>>
File: 1448413261415.jpg (45 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1448413261415.jpg
45 KB, 480x480
Hey guys, do you know any good C# book for someone who just started?
>>
>>51753307
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
>>
File: 1432337752788.jpg (65 KB, 635x665) Image search: [Google]
1432337752788.jpg
65 KB, 635x665
>>51753328
>https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
Thanks anon!
>>
>>51747892
I surprised that someone like you will probably get a job easier than I can (since your eduction), while I'm better at programming than you will ever be.
>>
>>51747892
Also, stop racemixing.
>>
does anyone know of a good alternative to google maps that will allow me to mark / label certain locations based on user input throuh my web app?
>>
>>51754296
Why do you want an alternative?
>>
>>51754296
Leaftlet.js?
>>
>>51754296
openlayers
>>
>>51754343
>>51754372
both nice, thanks
>>
>>51754206
>tfw kids born in '95 have jobs but you don't
>>
>>51754418
>tfw born in '88 and gov makes me go through a training where I'm optimizing my resume, while I could be focusing on a portfolio
>>
>>51754206

Not that guy, but if you are as good as you claim to be you should be able to get a job. No one at my company finished a degree and they are some of the best developers I know. The fact you are surprised that someone who isn't an autistic shut-in is able to get a job easier than you is pretty alarming. Also I doubt you are talented at all and you spelled education wrong, dickhead.
>>
>>51739383
This is my life every day thanks to offshore
>>
>>51754489
"education" is a valid word, meaning: "The removal of education by a fascist regime, usually orchestrated by an Islamic influence".

And yes, I'm a good programmer; however, my previous employer is being a massive dickhead and is actively trying to block my chances of another job. Don't worry, I've got something in the works, it just takes a bit of time.

Also, please don't call me a dickhead, I get really sad when someone uses that word.
>>
>>51754823
*eduction

ffs
>>
>webdevs that don't know how forms work
>>you NEED JS!
top fucking kek
>>
File: 1447409535931.png (374 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1447409535931.png
374 KB, 576x432
>>51754999
>in job interview
>employer telling me js validation is more important than backend validation
>i am now working for that company
>>
>>51754823
You just used that word about your employer in the same post
>>
>>51755044
I'm sorry m8
perhaps you could take advantage of that...
>>
>>51755057
Yeah, well, he's a right dickhead though and I'm not.
>>
So, I've started with HTML and CSS today and I feel like I can make some shit. A friend just told me to "leave" HTML and start working on PHP.

Should I go blind or what?
>>
>>51756042
ks
>>
>>51756042
First learn HTML+CSS before jumping into PHP.
>>
>>51756042
php is an actual programming language, it's nothing like html so it does make sense to start learning it even if you don't even know html fully
>>
>>51739383
>PHP devs
Every time.
>>
>>51741620
>I'm dead soon but it's a welcome relief. I will never have to witness the collapse of world economy because NoSQL radicals talked financial institutions into abandoning perfectly good data stores because they didn't support distributed fucking MapReduce
>tfw working for a bank
>tfw we're already running Mongo in production
Gets me every single time.
>>
>>51756082
>>51756190
I already know some HTML, made some stuff and played with it and CSS.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Hello world!</title>
<body>
<?php
echo "Hello world!";
?>
</body>
<html>

I'm a web dev yet?

Should I use the html stuff or only php?
>>
>>51756192
We're not all like that, it's mostly Eastern Europeans that code like that. Western Europeans are incredibly autistic when it comes to code.

>>51756243
The thing is, you can learn PHP and if Back-End coding is more your thing, go ahead; but if you want to be a bit more all-round, I'd start with at least getting HTML and CSS in your system (CSS is the devil btw).

If you feel like doing something meaningful and worthwhile where you can manipulate the outcome of data, sure go ahead with PHP, but knowing CSS will definitely help you become a better webdev in general.

Well, just my two cents.
>>
>>51755304
Anon... maybe sometimes you are wrong.
>>51756042
Learn HTML5, is not that difficult.
>>
File: 1418038203614.png (422 KB, 490x546) Image search: [Google]
1418038203614.png
422 KB, 490x546
>>51756243
>I'm a web dev yet?
Absolutely. You can start applying for 100k+/yr jobs

>Should I use the html stuff or only php?
You'll use them combined. I could tell you right now that you'll use PHP to output nothing more than variables inside HTML tags, and never the HTML tags themselves. However this is nothing you should worry about right now, you MUST write shitty code the way that comes to your head. After some time, you yourself will automatically understand why the way were programming is wrong.

It is a step you have to make to truly learn how to program. So again, program the way that comes to your head, leave the "is this the right way?" thoughts for later. And no, you won't impose bad habits on yourself just because you did it wrong for a month.
>>
>>51756316
But I've got a general understanding of CSS.

p {
color: white;
font-family: Verdana;
background-color: #CC0000
}

a {
text-decoration: none;
}

and stuff. Is there anything else to it?
>>
>>51756330
Nah, I'm an alright lad. I basically worked with 3 'idea guys' that kept pushing me around to have me work on 5 projects, switching between Wordpress and outdated versions of CakePHP. I wasn't allowed to upgrade anything either.

Also, can we stop calling it 'HTML5'? I mean, in the end it's just HTML. I personally always thought the HTML5 name was only given to it because of the easy Javascript manipulation and video shit.
>>
>>51756387
If you feel comfy enough with CSS (like the one you've shown), sure, move to PHP. I mean, in the end most people either specialize in front-end or back-end development anyway, you hardly see both. I'm more of a back-end guy myself. CSS is my personal little demon.
>>
>>51756424
Thanks, I wanted to know if I was heading the right path.

>>51756380
Ok, I'll trust in myself, then. Thanks for the insight, anyways!
>>
>>51756450
Can I ask what your primary source will be for learning PHP?
>>
>>51756469
I have no idea yet, I'm just playing with it, just using the echo command. This friend that told me to go do some PHP is giving me some insight, but I'll probably need something else. What do you recommend?

(I've learnt HTML/CSS with codecademy)
>>
>>51756533
>(I've learnt HTML/CSS with codecademy)

They also offer a PHP course that is quite nice for beginners.
>>
>>51756533
I've learned PHP a long ass time ago, so my 'newbie' sources aren't probably around anymore, but I've found these:

>>Zend is basically the PHP authority and although it might look dull, the content is good.
http://devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/

>>W3 Schools is generally 'all right', but maybe you like their approach
http://www.w3schools.com/php/

What >>51756612 said.

There really are lots of tutorials out there and I wouldn't be able to recommend you a quick one right now. When you're ready to learn OOP I've got some good ones for you though.

Also, just found this.. I've downloaded tons of ebooks from this site and also contains good PHP books:
http://www.allitebooks.com/web-development/php/
>>
>>51756612
>>51756655

Mk, thanks! I'll post here when I get to OOP. Thanks for the resources!
>>
can I get a webdev job without a degree
>>
>>51756759
Move to Argentina, you only need the knowledge, and maybe a portfolio.
>>
>>51756759
I have one without a degree.

Though I'm a thesis short from finishing my degree. Should really do that at some point.
>>
>>51756759
I did.
>>51756779
Goddammit the truth hurts.
>>
>>51756759
Yes, you can. Over here, Western Europe, all you have to have is a good portfolio where you show off your code and you can more than easily get a job.
>>
>>51756779
>>51756788
>>51756791
>>51756812
what about in burgerland
>>
>PHP
seriously people, learn Go.
>>
>>51756849
Yes, no one cares about your education. It's all about your personality and skills.
>>
>>51756849
Not sure about PHP, I think burgerland is more NodeJS and Ruby from what I've gathered; but I'm not sure.
>>
>>51756849
Sure you can. It's web development, not rocket science.
>>
>>51756849
If they demand a degree to work at then you don't even want to work there in the first place. It might help but isn't necessary.
>>
>>51756759
Yes, many people who work in the field don't have a degree, including myself (though I'm still in Uni).
>>
>>51756779
hay mucho trabajo en argentina? cuanto pagan, y alcanza para vivir y algo mas? escuche que en argentina esta cada vez mas caro todo... encima macri va a ser presidente, y probablemente va a devaluar la moneda apenas entre.
soy argentino-chileno, btw
>>
>>51756887
>>51756884
>>51756876
>>51756873
thanks guys. I've had this shit ( http://www. theodinproject. com/ courses? ref=home ) open in another window for months now and never started because I wasn't sure if I could get a job without going back to school.
>>
>>51756910
Fuck Macri about that. De todas maneras, me da la sensación que laburos de web dev/programación van a tener más prestigio, debido a toda la bola que corrió el PRO sobre eso cuando Macri gobernó la ciudad.

Yo todavía no me puse a buscar laburo del tema, ya que estoy aprendiendo, pero me imagino que pagarían más de lo que estoy cobrando ahora, en mi laburo actual (6.1k p/ mes).

A lo sumo, andá a bumeran o páginas del estilo y entrá a tirar CV, a ver que ofertas te hacen.
>>
>>51737163
Do I need to know how to program before being able to web dev?
>>
File: 1447874244308.jpg (575 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447874244308.jpg
575 KB, 1920x1080
>>51756910
no soy el que quoteaste pero si, hay laburo a cagarse

yo consegui hace poco de junior, hago tareas basicas tanto frontend como backend, me pagan 6k (muy poco) y en unos meses me aumentan (supongo que a 8k)

los laburos senior se pagaban bastante bien, vi algunos de 20k
>>
>>51756957
cuántas hora por día y cuántos días?
>>
>>51757050
9 horas (8 de trabajo, 1 para comer) lunes a viernes
no trabajo ningun feriado (ayer y hoy fue feriado asi que tuve 4 dias, si tuviera guita me podria haber ido unos dias a la patagonia)
>>
>>51757085
>>51757050
>>51756957
>>51756932
>>51756910

let's keep this conversation here >>/int/51840237 so we don't mexicanize the thread
>>
File: 1437997634.jpg (27 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1437997634.jpg
27 KB, 900x900
>making site for client, his name starting with c
>registering domain
>suggest unique domain with his name an business field, hisname-business field.com
>he wants c-c-business field.com, when there are domains that almost look like the one he suggested
WHY
I mean he's the one paying me but how can he be so retarded
>>
Why do websites say "Your password needs 2 uppercase and 2 symbols"?

I can think of no reason why they would be worried about my password unless they are not salting its hash.
>>
>>51757485
And the funny thing is that any and all requirements for a password make all password weaker.

There can be multiple reasons for it however.
>not storing them properly
>someone high enough in the company said we need to do it because x does it and doesn't take no for an answer
>trying to retard proof their site
Except for the case of not storing them properly it's usually done in a effort to make sure the customer is safe, maybe even to make them feel safe.

I'm of the belief that if a user is stupid enough to use 123456 or password as their password they deserve everything happens to them or they simply don't care what happens if someone gets access to an one time account they have to register just to get access to something. If they can see information about other users that should stay between those individuals then 2FA is the only way to go. And if you don't want to bother users with 2FA all the time, even though it really isn't that much of a trouble, you can implement weak and strong authentication system where password and username authenticate you and let you use some of the site but to get access to everything would require 2FA.
>>
File: Richard-Stallman.jpg (41 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
Richard-Stallman.jpg
41 KB, 800x534
I got tasked with creating a single page application by some scientists after I made one for my school project. The thing they don't know is that I fucking spaggettied that shit like a madman as I don't know shit about good web development practices.

I don't want to fuck this up so I'd like to get a good grip on how to build a single page website which visualizes (but also manipulates) some data using python flask and javascript. Any tips anons??
>>
>>51757692
I'm building a single-page-webapp in reactjs at the moment, liking it a lot so far

if you don't know a lot of js it might be a bit weird to learn
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-08-20-03-36.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-08-20-03-36.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
What book is this and why do I want it?
>>
>>51757785
http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Kids-Playful-Introduction-Programming/dp/1593274084

>>51757734
It looks neat
>>
>>51757785
Wait have you tried http://knockoutjs.com/
It seems excellent
>>
>>51756908
how much do you make? Sorry if too personal
>>
So, I've problems with flexbox in my speed dial.

Is there any way to make these rows (together) 100% of the page?
>pic related

related html:
<div class="flexbox">
<div class="pages">
<a class="page im1" href=""></a>
<a class="page im1" href=""></a>
<a class="page im2" href=""></a>
</div>
</div>

and related scss:
.flexbox {
display:flex;
flex-direction:column;
flex-wrap:wrap;
.pages {
display:inherit;
flex-wrap:inherit;
flex-pack:center;
align-content:stretch;
justify-content: space-around;
> * {
width:100%;
align-content:center;
justify-content: center;
align-items:center;
font-size: 2em;
}
> .page {
min-width: 200px;
height:100%;
background-color:#616624;
flex:1 0 0;
}
> .im1 {
min-width: 400px;
background-color:#B5BD42;
flex:2 0 0;
}
}
}

Does anyone know solution?
>>
I'm looking for a sweet design for like 6 people's bios on a page. Any ideas or examples you guys can think of?
>>
>>51760178
one page sites with css3 (:target)?
>>
>>51756042

You will be expected to know HTML and CSS for pretty much any PHP job
>>
>>51760178

Honestly, there are so many ways of doing bios that I couldn't think of any one example.That question makes for instant writers block.

Have a look at other designs or general website themes, pick one you like, build on or tweak it.
>>
>>51759843

I honestly think SCSS is the most un-necessary scripting language that exists.
>>
Just had an interview for front-end developer with a place in Denver. Currently working in Texas and wanting to get out of this state. How are the womens there?
>>
>>51761241
idk, i like nesting
>>
>>51761173
I'm basically making a bio page template generator so I need like 6-8 designs
>>
>>51761241
>>51761330
plus i did it another way i like
>>
>>51761241
>adds variables to css
>useless
>meanwhile haml exists
>>
>>51761241
>>51761424
all template engines are trash to be honest family
>>
>>51761486
no one would use sass if css had variables...
>>
>>51761533

I guess I've never really had the need to use variables (or functions for that matter) that are used in SCSS/SASS. Normally I use an external CSS (like bootstrap min) and then whatever else I need to do I write custom code (usually less than ~100 lines) in another CSS file.

Btw, fuck LESS. If you're going to pick one of the three to learn, choose SASS.
>>
File: inverted ghost blowjob.png (277 KB, 428x400) Image search: [Google]
inverted ghost blowjob.png
277 KB, 428x400
Hey /webdevgen/, how long do you think someone with programming knowledge and basic knowledge of sql qould need to learn the stuff needed to make a functional website?
I got a job offer from a friend and want to be honest and tell him if I can do the learning and the job in the timeframe he gave me.
I won't be handling frontend development, I think.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>51759843
hey man , i`m new to this shit of web dev. and programming but i dig it so i`ll try to help BUT I CAN`T GUARANTEE RESULTS

i`d say try to wrap those <a> on a <nav> and not on a <div> nav stands for basically a list of links so yeh ...is it doesn`t work try using CSS : layout:inline-block or something similar to that ...

hope i could help, if i`m totally wrong don`t hate pls.
>>
>>51761972
let`s say u would ONLY need to learn:

-PHP
-JavaScript
-HTML
-CSS

HTML/CSS- in a week or less u can get it desu
PHP-not that hard
JavaScript- yeh that`s where it complicates .... idk man it depends on how fast can u learn
>>
>>51761972

Most languages used in web dev follow the same general principles found in languages used elsewhere. It would have been great if you mentioned what languages you already know, because a lot of them that you probably don't expect can be used in web development (Python, Ruby, C#, etc)
>>
>>51759843
try this:
.flexbox {
display: flex;
/* replace f'lex-direction' with 'flex-flow' */
flex-flow: column nowrap;
/* And... get rid of 'flex-wrap' */
/*Your code goes below*/

}
>>
>>51762159
>>51762197
Thanks for the replies.

I work mostly with C/C++ for big projects, Lua for small experiments, and Delphi (I'm sorry) at work. However, I've used Ruby and Java for a few projects where they seemed more suited to the job, and I used Actionscript back in the flash days (which I think is similar to js unless i'm terribly wrong)

I'm also worried about choosing stuff. I understand there's several languages one could use for frontend/backend dev, and I don't want to pick something that will hinder my progress.

Sorry if I sound like a dumb newbie. I'm willing to learn, I just want to know if I'll have time to deliver a working website before committing to the learning and working.
>>
>>51757692
Sounds like you need a build system in your life.
Try Yeomna along with GruntJS or GulpJS. You will not be disappointed.
>>
>>51762412
*Yeoman
>>
>>51762398

Well, for Ruby you can check out Ruby on Rails (a framework). Java(script) based web development is done using Node.js for the back-end and has many advantages (I'll let you look into that for yourself). Most notable advantage is that you can use JS for both front and back end coding. I don't have much experience with either so I won't say much more about them. Since you're already experienced in Java I'd recommend looking into Node.js.

Now, for the controversial choice on /wdg/; PHP. It's the most widely used language and was recently updated to a new version. Many on here hate it, but formulate your own opinion if you wish. It took me 2 months to learn PHP from scratch to make a simple online movie store website in college last year. If you have more time to dedicate to learning PHP than I did, you should have no problems learning a fuck ton in the space of ~2/3 weeks. If you decide to go with PHP, Laravel is the recommended framework (there are many others, so pick one that suits you).
>>
>>51762598
Thank you very much, anon. I'll read a bit and pick what to use, but you've given me a good starting point.
>>
'sup G.
I've been trying to web scrape. I'm using node.js with Cheerio as that seems a good balance of technologies for the task, and also it's all I know. And I don't even know that. I've been in IT for fifteen years as a consultant for Infrastructure security and started to code about a year ago. (Started with Ruby and Express, moved on to HTML / JS / JQuery, then junked the Ruby bit because I was mad impressed with Jquery which meant hitting Javascript a bit harder which led me to server side JS, also I like the asynch model, big community etc, and it seems a great fit for web scraping which I want to do a lot of for a fair while...)

Anyway, I could really use some help in getting together a workflow for teaching myself web scraping. I've got myself up to speed on Cheerio and sizzle selectors, but where I am feeling the pain is that when trying to scrape from websites the trial and error is killing me. I'd really like to know what approach Gtards would use in my situation. I just want to confirm that I am hitting certain elements within a page, but often times I get nothing echoed back. I'm doing this on pretty complex websites, which I thought would be a good baptism by fire, but now I just want to sandbox this and work through DOMs quickly. Should I download some static code and traverse that? Are there any tricks programmatically to traversing the DOM on public sites that I can use. I am currently using the "Jquery Unique Selector" browser plugin for Chrome, and the developer tools to inspect elements, but yeah... I feel I am getting in too hardcore. Any thoughts on how to methodically build up web scraping skills? Node and Cheerio seem pretty bare bones and ideal but I am really struggling to get even that working with simple, procedural (load page, load DOM with Cheerio, pass static selector, console.log the output) Any thoughts on how I can approach this like the big dummy I am and build up my gainz?
>>
>>51756243
Mixing html and php like that is bad form. Your php and html should be in separate files. So should your JavaScript and html.

The only time I'm okay with mixing JavaScript and html is when you're heavily relying on append, but even then a better developer would use templated html code of some sort. Personally, I like having hidden elements and then copying them with jQuery, my html remains in the html file and I can work on it in JavaScript, as nature intended.

With that in mind, that you shouldn't mix code, php has literally no advantages over any other language. Being brutally honest, pick your favourite language and write your backend in that. Alternatively, find a trade off between speed and lines of code needed for a full backend, spoiler, you're going to end up in Go, Java and C#, maybe node.js if you're not doing much more than returning strings (it connects fast, but how fast does it execute?).

>>51756316
Some of the best devs I've seen are eastern European. You're thinking about "hard working" Indians and Asians who don't get that "hard working" isn't a virtue in programming.

>>51756387
No.

Ignore hipsters who talk about extraneous css (its all cached) and just copy paste a lot. My CSS is ugly, but has zero contribution on how fast the page loads because that's just not how css works.

>>51756759
Depends on the country. Places with almost no tech industry, no. Places with decent tech but high standards, maybe. Places with tech but no standards, absolutely.

Try getting a tech job in Australia without a degree or 10+ years experience.

>>51756884
Irrelevant when HR control the process, do you think they know web dev is easy? This kind of scares me, why did I do a relatively impressive foss project when HR can't read code?

>>51761533
Why do you need variables? Does the replace function not work in your text editor? CSS isn't a scripting language.
>>
>>51763311
>Your php and html should be in separate files

No, if you do this you'll end up with a fucking lot of .php files. Are you really going to create a separate php file every time you need to output something within some HTML? That's flawed logic.
>>
Am I doing good anons? I'm 16 I know
-HTML/CSS
-JavaScript
>>
>>51763375
found the php shitter
>>
>>51763375
Keep all your php in a single file and keep all your html in a single file? Mixing the two is messy as fuck.

If what I'm saying is impossible, php just might qualify for the worst language in the world.

>>51763422
Can you advise me? Can you contain all your php in a single file (or a limited number of files)?

This is why I use C# for webdev.
>>
Here is the code I currently have for checking a selector... (It's the petition website for Zoolander2 ;-) )

request('http://www.thepetitionsite.com/549/222/494/', function (error, response, html) {
if (!error && response.statusCode == 200) {
console.log('- - - - - - - - loaded page u dumbfuck- - - - - - - ');
// PARSE INTO OBJECT
var $ = cheerio.load(html);
fukkit = $('.name_location div:nth-child(9)>div:nth-child(1)>div:nth-child(1)');
fukkit2 = fukkit.text();
console.log(fukkit2);
console.log(fukkit);

All i get back for this is...

{ options:
{ withDomLvl1: true,
normalizeWhitespace: false,
xmlMode: false,
decodeEntities: true },
_root:
{ '0':
{ type: 'root',
name: 'root',
attribs: {},
children: [Object],
next: null,
prev: null,
parent: null },
options:
length: 1,
_root: [Circular] },
length: 0,
prevObject:
{ '0':
{ type: 'root',
name: 'root',
attribs: {},
children: [Object],
next: null,
prev: null,
parent: null },
options:
length: 1,
_root: [Circular] } }

Stumped. According to the selector I used, it should be the name of one of the signees, but it looks like it's returning.., well what? The root of the doc?
>>
>>51763453

With PHP that is not practical. You have two options:

1. Write the HTML within PHP echo tags. That way you can output PHP variables and functions wherever you want and use a single
<?php ?>

2. Write the HTML like you normally would, but you will end up with multiple
<?php ?>
tags embedded within your HTML just like >>51756243

If you went with option one, then this >>51756243 would look more like this

<?php

echo "<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Hello world!</title>
<body>
Hello World
</body>
</head>
<html>";
?>
>>
>>51763584
And keep your code away from front-end guys and designers.
>>
>>51763584
Practical or not, can you use php to return (or "echo") just data? Like, just json or just variables? It might seem like more work, hell it actually might be more work, but it's a much better practice (if possible). You can build html with JavaScript if you really must, but backend languages ideally should remain just data shifting (or "glue" with a database).

I don't use php, I don't like php and the more I see of it the more I hate it.

>>51763655
This is one of the reasons, yes. One of many reasons.

If you're making work harder for your co-workers, you are a bad developer completely despite if it "works" or not.
>>
>>51763699
You can pass data to a JSON from PHP if you wish then pull that data into your HTML. Hell, you could even pass data to an XML and read from it. It's more work but it's not necessarily better in all aspects.

Check this out:
 <tr>
<td><b>Registered</b></td>
<td><?php echo '<abbr class="timeago" title="'.$registered.'"></abbr>'; ?></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Email</b></td>
<td><?php echo $email; ?></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Address</b></td>
<td><?php echo $address; ?></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Phone</b></td>
<td><?php echo $phone; ?></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Institution</b></td>
<td><?php echo $institution; ?></td>
</tr>

That's some old code I found from something I did last year. What I did was pull data from the database associated with that user account and stored them in variables. Then I outputted the information in different parts of a table.
It looks like shit having multiple PHP tags everywhere for when I want to output some variable, but it works. As mentioned in my last post you could eliminate the need to have multiple tags by outputting everything including the HMTL in a single echo with the variables embedded, but that's a bitch to read.
>>
Does wdg have something like those programming challenges dpt had?
>>
>>51764163
Well, fuck. Sorry about the formatting of that code block.
>>
I need to create an autofill.

I have all of the cities and states in a table.

Am I going to have to query every time the value of the textbox changes or is there a better way?

Alternatively, should I just say "fuck the user" and minimize resource consumption?
>>
>>51764180
Nope. I think it would be cool if we did some open source stuff together.
>>
www.imagehex.com

I'm looking for CSS bugs. Can you guys find any?
>>
Hello people of the internet...i know html,css on decent level...what now? css frameworks? javascripts? im pretty dumb faggot so how long is gonna take to learn js on decent level?
>>
>>51766504
also...how do i get more experiences about making webs? should i take some jobs for small amount of money only for getting into business?
>>
>>51765662
Just wrap some form tags around it

>>51766551
Do you have your own website? Have you written a meme web framework?

Btw everyone here who uses c# should totally download FAP.dll with nuget.
>>
>>51766592
I have one ready for my portfolio and i wrote some css frameworks just for my usage but i want to learn bootstrap...is that good choice?
>>
I'm trying to find an efficient way to stream a query in Node with postgres, and then set up an observer on that set of data
>>
>>51766636
Bootstrap makes really obvious sites, also it's not really necessary. Have you experimented with jQuery? it gets really funky when you start appending elements with onclick functions.
>>
>>51766669
I just edited some jQuery before..but doesn't even know how to write javascript not even js libs =/ but can edit that shit from other people :D
>>
Is getting a bachelors worth it? Ill have my associates done next year for under 30% of what Id pay for going to finish a bachelors.

Im 23 and just want to do some front end stuff and work my way into being a well payed dev. So is the bachelora worth it?
>>
>>51766996
nope. It's not worth the debt.
>>
>>51766636
I guess it's good if you're completely useless at css but if you know what you're doing it will just get in your way.
>>
>>51766996
Where do you live?

There are a lot of places that won't hire you unless you have a degree. If it's more common you send resumes to HR than to the lead developer, you need a degree.

>>51767049
I think he's Australian, meaning no interest student loans.
>>
>>51767354
>There are a lot of places that won't hire you unless you have a degree.
The same can be said for the contrary as well.
>>
>>51767354
>you send resumes to HR than to the lead developer
>implying i can convince either of them to hire me
>>
>>51767354
Im from the US, debt isnt a huge issue because my parents can help, just took a longer path with education/figuring out what I want etc..

The listings for jr devs seem really split between required bachelors and having no preference for education. Its just at this point I will be ~25 with no real experience if I go the bachelors route
>>
>>51767396
Yes, that's true, but not everywhere has that sort of startup culture, especially when plenty of American startup founders are deliberately anti intellectual and a degree but not portfolio would actually make them less likely to hire someone.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, HR don't read code, don't care about portfolios and see a degree and X number of jobs, which is hilarious when you consider job hoppers are notoriously bad employees who completely lack commitment.

>>51767418
If you're a fairly decent developer and it shows in your code on your Github, lots of other fairly decent developers would prefer you over guys with masters who still churn out shit like:>>51739383

Meanwhile HR don't read code.
>>
>>51767465
>your code on your Github
>implying i finish anything and put up on github
>>
>>51767520
You absolutely should.
>>
>>51767548
>implying employers also don't demand your stackoverflow, quora and yahoo answers profiles
>>
inb4 404
>>
File: Screenshot - 091215 - 12:54:43.png (168 KB, 1364x746) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 091215 - 12:54:43.png
168 KB, 1364x746
bump
>>
how do you churn out maximum code in minimum time without thinking much?
>>
What are the best Sublime Text 3 plugins?

Please no suggestions for a different editor.
>>
>>51763482
Your selector is garbage, what are you even trying to select?
>>
>>51769825
It depends. Find a framework for what you need to do, learn it, then you'll be able to code in a fraction of the time it takes without a framework.
>>51770682
What languages are you working with?
>>
If I want to serve a site consisting of two or three pages, the content of which will change maybe once per day, is there any reason to use some sort of framework rather than generating the pages using a cron scheduled script and serving them with Apache or Nginx?
>>
>>51771431
No.
>>
File: why.jpg (52 KB, 321x460) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
52 KB, 321x460
>tfw trying to get freelance jobs
>tfw I realise I'm going to need to learn Node
>>
>>51771547
why?

what do you guys think of my portfolio?

http://andev.me
>>
>>51771567
>2015
>frameset
>>
>>51771567
Well, it certainly is minimalist.Looks like to took a stock template and added some icons to it. Surely you can do better than that because if I'm an employer I wouldn't hire you based on first impressions. The link to where you work is dead, I assume that means you don't actually work there?
>>
>>51771591
>what is cloaking

>>51771659
lol nice catch man, still work there gonna fix it asap.

it is based on skeljs, which is like bootstrap, but the rest is made by me
>>
>>51771690
>what is cloaking
Not what you apparently think it is. Seriously, drop the frames. There is no excuse for them at all.

As for the other elements, it's not awful. I'm assuming you're looking for full-time employment and not for freelance projects.

There are spelling and grammar errors, but these are forgivable since English doesn't seem to be your native language. I'd still suggest getting a native speaker to look over and fix it.

It's odd that you've written the Python snippet like an ad for Python; you need to focus on how good you are at it and (most of all) what you've achieved with it.
>>
>>51771567
>why?
Because there seem to be lot of projects for it, it's still a hot tool. And a couple of previous clients seem interested in hiring me to do Node stuff.
>>
>>51771989
Try using it with Bluebird, coroutines in particular. Makes async a hell less of pain.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.