[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me move to FOSS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: ytsD4bm.png (689 KB, 797x734) Image search: [Google]
ytsD4bm.png
689 KB, 797x734
Alright g, I need a hand. I've been in IT for going on 18 years. I've been primarily a user of propriatary hardware and software. For the most part I've supported Windows environments going as far back as NT4. I held an MCSE back when they meant something in the early 2000s. As I've progressed in my career I've added other propriatary technologies like NetApp, Netbackup, Cisco, F5, Palo Alto, VMware, Exchange etc. I'm far from a linux/unix noob but I'm nowhere near ready to call myself a proper linux admin. I've been toying with it since before there were package managers and have been a regular user since 2009 or so.

I have a pretty significant homelab where I run a bunch of these technologies. It's mostly a lab but I do have a few paying tenants to which I provide what are essentially cloud hosting services. There is a small cost associated with keeping my lab software licensed every year. It's under $1000 and I usually get it comped by my employer. The licensing to run my tenant offerings are getting out of hand so I'm looking to find the best way to replace all my propriatary components with FOSS alternatives. Here is my stack so far.

Firewall -> Was Palo Alto 2050 -> now pfSense
L3 Switching -> is currently Avaya, no plans to change.
L2 Storage Switching -> is currently Gnodal, no plans to change.
Storage -> was NetApp -> now FreeNAS, will probably be CEPH by Q1 2017.
DNS -> 2008r2 Domain -> Need to select replacement, probably BIND.
LDAP -> 2008r2 Domain -> Need to select replacement.
Email -> Exchange 2010 -> Need to find a replacement that manages Email, contacts, calendar.
Update -> WSUS -> Need to find a replacement, will probably be puppet or chef.
Monitoring -> Was Splunk and Tripwire -> Now OSSIM, may try SEXI log and ELK.
File storage -> Was secured Windows shares -> Need to select replacment.
Hypervisor -> Is currently VMware 5.5, no plans to change in the near future. Will probably move to KVM Q3 2016.
>>
>>51735930

My plan is to create a new isolated tenant and replicate the features of my current lab space using FOSS software. Once I understand how to use and manage the new software I'll start migrating paying tenants to it. What software would you use to replicate each of the features I've identified as needing a replacement above? The only thing that's completely off the table is Zentyal. I've tried using it as far back as version 3.0 and it's been a shit since then.
>>
I wish you luck in getting your answers, but nu-/g/'s experience doesn't extend much beyond ricing wm's in gentoo on ancient ThinkPads with broken backlight inverters.
>>
>>51735962
All of this
>>
>>51736035
Yeah sorry OP but you're out of this board's league
>>
>>51735962
>>51736035
>>51736109

I kinda figured as much but I figured I'd try for old times sake. Old g is why I'm doing as well as I am.
>>
>>51735930
>DNS -> 2008r2 Domain -> Need to select replacement, probably BIND.
>LDAP -> 2008r2 Domain -> Need to select replacement
>File storage -> Was secured Windows shares -> Need to select replacment..
Samba 4 with BIND and OpenLDAP

>>51735930
>Email -> Exchange 2010 -> Need to find a replacement that manages Email, contacts, calendar.
Kolab
>>
>>51735962
>>51736035
>>51736109
Stop projecting and speak for yourself.
>>
>>51735930
Out of all the things you wrote about the only one I've ever heard about is VMware, KVM and Exchange.
>>
>>51735930
Honestly OP, reddit would be a better place for such questions.
>>
>>51736319
>that's too advanced for /g/
m8...
>>
>>51735962
My ThinkPad is LED backlit, you piece of shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 KB, 300x57
>>51735930
You probably won't find a good replacement to Exchange.
>>
>>51737298
That sucks. Zentyal looks like a good replacement but it's not a working system yet.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.