[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the crap are you supposed to mount a new drive as C after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (451 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
451 KB, 1366x768
How the crap are you supposed to mount a new drive as C after cloning the os drive?
>>
>>51731251
your bootcfg selects what drive is c: so i'd suggest starting there
>>
>>51731275
tried, disables hard drive and set ssd as bood, screen just flashed.
>>
>>51731251
whatever drive you boot that has windows will be the C drive. clone the drive, then boot to the new cloned drive. boom, C. the old drive will appear as some other letter (feel free to change this to say X: or even remove the drive letter to hide the drive). each windows install keeps track of the drive letters.
>>
>>51731326
Tried this.
Don't you fist have to assign the ssd a drive letter?
>>
>>51731299
i'm not talking about your BIOS's boot order. windows creates a "system partition" on drive 0 in your SATA controller, you will always need to boot from this drive to boot into the system. that partition contains the bootcfg, which selects where your root partition is (C:).
maybe you should be spending your time installing gentoo
>>
>>51731690
>incapable of booting from an ssd
i don't think he's anywhere near ready for gentoo, friend
>>
>>51731738
not a pc noob.
>>
>>51731786
evidently
>>
>>51731251
something is weird in that picture. when you 'upgrade' to 10, it puts an extra 500MB partition at the end of the drive (it's the windows repair disk I think). so your cloned drive should have the 100MB boot at start, 930GB in the middle, and the 500MB recovery environment at the end.

try cloning the drive again, and when it's done, unplug the original drive and boot from the clone. if the cloning software worked, then it should boot just like the original, don't fuck around changing stuff on the new clone drive, you cloned it for a reason.

if the new drive is smaller, you'll have to resize the windows partition so that it'll fit on the new drive. then once copied over, expand it to fill the drive.
>>
>>51731899
additional 10 info: upgrade puts the 500MB recovery partition. if you wipe and install fresh, don't enter a serial, the 500MB partition won't be there on a fresh install, and it'll activate over the internet if you've already upgraded.
>>
>>51731251
The drive you boot will generally always be C: and there's no way around it. Way too much shit depends on C being the system drive.

If you were to image it onto the SSD and boot from that, the SSD would be C:.
>>
>>51731899
>>51731911
500MB partition is for BitLocker information, was 100MB in 7 and didn't need one in Vista.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.