[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HR from Hell - Please Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1413154207236.jpg (34 KB, 471x350) Image search: [Google]
1413154207236.jpg
34 KB, 471x350
HR is breathing down my neck and threatening to fire me over web surfing I haven't done. They're using hearsay from "other developers" to make this claim.

How should I capture my screen every five minutes and store them read-only somewhere? I want cryptographically secure proof HR is lying. I don't think I'll get a lawyer involved, but at the least I want to prove they're firing me over "culture fit," not something that'll bite me if a future employer starts calling.

PS: I'm looking for another job, but I need to cover my ass with self-surveillance. What do?

PPS: Only using a trip because I'm about to switch machines and hope to reply.
>>
>>51729083
Jesus Christ, I'd fire you just for your whinging.
>>
You need to get proof from them. You cant have evidence for something you haven't done, so if they don't have proof then you should be in the clear
>>
One of my coworkers once claimed I was stealing supplies. It was hearsay and they had zero evidence, but after I quit everyone thought I had been fired for theft. It didn't matter that neither of these things were true. Once people start gossiping you're already fucked. Just quit gracefully and find something else.
>>
File: 700px-Gender_Chart.png (247 KB, 700x569) Image search: [Google]
700px-Gender_Chart.png
247 KB, 700x569
Go into work tomorrow and say that you identify as a random combination of animals with one of these sexualities. You will have total job security afterwards.
>>
>>51729177
I thought so too, but the "informal meeting" used "conversations held with other developers." It's still counted as a formal strike, and my one strike before firing.

HR at the company is one person, and I think they're trying to suck up to the new owners by "trimming the fat." We have at most 40 people. I'm the newest.

>>51729203
That's my general plan, but I refuse to quit until I have at least a solid lead.

Until then, I want to cover my ass as well as I can.

>>51729226
I'd use that dodge once a lifetime, and not for this position.
>>
So just to be clear, the general advice is "don't even bother, just quit and move on"?
>>
>>51729244
>>51729357
It's probably a women firing you.
>>
God I love watching Millennial special snowflakes faceplant when they come in contact with reality.
>>
>>51729357
Tell them you absolutely did not do what they claim and give them your two weeks notice. You're not going to get a fair shake.
>>
>>51729408
I see someone else hates Millennials as much as I do.
>>
>>51729366
Yes. From previous experience, the men in this market would have concrete examples of tickets that failed or times and days that people reported goofing off.

It took a lot of effort to not call "bullshit" on everything and instead guardedly apologized for nonspecific events.

I should have been an electrical engineer. I don't hear my friends in that field dealing with half this shit.

>>51729392
I'm 30 and this is terrible bait.
>>
>>51729451
>I'm 30
Holy Peter Pan syndrome!
>>
>>51729442
>>51729392
First they came for the Millenials and I said nothing.
Then they came for the special snowflakes and I laughed.
Then they came for the cis. That's when I laughed harder.
>>
>>51729226
Literally this. Come in with a rainbow equality shirt or tie or something.
On the off chance that you do get fired, you'd have one hell of a lawsuit in your hands
>>
>>51729495
>Y..you can't fire me! I'm WHITE!
>>
>>51729523
Nah. The pay isn't good enough to pretend to be gay for any length of time. I think I'll draw on this advice:
>>51729408

That being said, I'd still like some evidence on my side if I'm called to the back office before I can get another position lined up. It may not account for much in an at-will state, but anything's better than wishing and praying.

I have a script written for taking a screen grab every five minutes. I'm just not certain how to submit these files to a location I can certifiably say is write-once, read-only. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51729646
>anything's better than wishing and praying.

Try growing up. It tends to be a big help in job retention. People don't like being around prickly, defensive little children.
>>
>>51729715
You're not in HR by any chance are you? You're definitely a woman and sound pretty worthless with your constant whining throughout this thread.
>>
>>51729646
I know you're in a pretty tight situation but the screenshots thing isn't going to help. If you're running that script you probably aren't going to look at any suspicious websites (and would just conveniently not be running the script when you are doing something suspicious). Also, if you put those files on anything but company property then you might be committing copyright infringement by stealing code (or would be seen as trying to), which is much worse than the situation you are in right now. On top of all of this, HR could also complain about you wasting company resources (your time) to write the script, even if you did it at home or if it only took 10 minutes to write. You'll also look like a vindictive asshole to everyone else.

In my experience companies do not say anything about the employee when asked except to verify that he actually worked there, because they don't want to get sued.

The best way to approach this is to get that other job and calmly give them your two weeks notice. Good luck on finding your new job.
>>
>>51729861
I'm not a child.

Let's summarize this:
You want to install unauthorized software on your employer's machine to somehow "prove" to them that they -- the owners of the company -- do not posses the right to exercise free agency over their own company and fire you. If that doesn't work, you want to have it to use it to tell another employer how they can't NOT hire you because your firing was only a "culture fit" issue.
And you don't understand how any employer is going to have a big problem with you telling them what they can and cannot do.
>>
>>51729715
I don't know if you're trolling or speaking in earnest, but I'm not an intern. I've been at this five-some years, but I took this position for the promise of an interesting product and a full commercial release under my belt. HR suddenly stabbing me in the back left me reeling.

In retrospect maybe it's not out of the blue. Scuttlebutt has been the new owners are looking to really cut to the bone. At one point they explicitly asked for a 50% cut in labor on a major contract. This little kangaroo court indicates they're willing to make up reasons not to pay out severance, too.

The shitty part: In context it was clear if I objected at any point to these proceedings, I'd be fired anyway. I detected more than a few baiting phrases made in hopes I'd fly off the handle, too. Really classy people!

Even with all that, I'd rather have my job on eggshells and search for a new position to keep the lights on.

>>51729881
Thanks, Anon. Those are all good points. I planned to use a device that would never leave the building, but that could have been "conversion of company property."

Best I can do is keep checking Dice and respond to some LinkedIn messages. Not looking forward to those.

Thanks again.
>>
>>51730039
I'm a bit curious about what you meant by "culture fit". What kind of person are you, and what kind of people are they?

Are you a kind of filterless, no nonsense person and they are "tolerant and accepting and hip"?

Because I'm gonna be getting my first real job soon, and I want to know how much I need to cover my tracks and pretend.
>>
Lie. Tell them they are wrong, then ask them to prove it. And when they have evidence say "it wasn't me".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_x6QmuJdms

Look for another job. Drink a couple pints at lunch everyday and collect a check until they fire you.
>>
>>51730036
> you
That's not me, though you bring up some good points if I were taking this to my NEXT employer with screenshots full of subnet information and screenshots about an unreleased product.

That would be pants-on-head retarded.

It seems like a pretty poor idea in retrospect for the reasons outlined here:
>>51729881
Not that it's technically unfeasible to prove a certain file was written at a certain time or that a script was constantly on, but because bad faith actors have enormous ammunition and little reason to listen.

I'm not bucking them for their ability to choose someone to be fired, but it's transparently bullshit.

>>51730130
It varies wildly. In this case I came from a more relaxed startup environment, but pulled my laces pretty tight and played ball. They were not "tolerant ant accepting and hip" after the first few weeks exactly; the majority are 40-something and seemed to bristle that anything was changing, let alone a buyout, and there was a lot of catty comments. Time and again they'd claim it really came from a place of respect, but this was dialed to 11 when mentioning anyone who left the company for any reason. "Crab-in-the-pot" comes to mind. One crab tries to get out, the other crabs draw them back in, even if the water's boiling.

My friends on the West Coast cite that "culture fit" is often used as a catchall term to describe "it's just not working out." Sometimes it's real cultures clashing, like a stoner showing up to an 1980s-style corporation. Other times it's someone who's upset the niche or "family" this company has fostered, and instead of converting to a new standard, they'd sooner keep the "family" after the "trial period" is over.

In my case, I don't trust the HR person to stick to "they were hired here." The best I can do is walk and say or do nothing, no shenanigans.

This was a company in transition, and playing on a hunch really went poorly. If nothing else, trust those Glassdoor and other reviews. Seriously.
>>
>>51729451
>It took a lot of effort to not call "bullshit" on everything and instead guardedly apologized for nonspecific events.

I would of called bullshit and demanded evidence.
>>
>>51730036
I'm not OP, but I've seen gossip and the popularity game firsthand in an office environment. If someone has it out against you, you're fucked anyway you look at it. It's best to give them your 2 weeks notice and leave quietly.
>>
>>51730275
Fun as that sounds, the tech sector in this town can be pretty incestuous, so I can't burn bridges. I have a coworker in another department who's a mutual friend of half of my friends, so I surely can't raise a huge fuss.

... Not that the team really collaborated. They seemed to spend a lot of time making snippy comments about one team veteran's sweaters and not a lot of time responding to major customer requests. Thinking back on the product road-map, they're in serious trouble.

Leaving might be a blessing.
>>
Demand them to show you the logs of all the websites you visited.
>>
>>51730393
Another special snowflake, I see. "Could it be me? Heavens no! Everyone else must be the problem! You see, when I hate others, it's a 100% correct and valid judgement of their character. When others hate me, they're just bitter!"

Oh, and it's hilarious that OP doesn't know they have firewall logs of his surfing.
>>
File: 140822_stallman2.jpg (19 KB, 300x219) Image search: [Google]
140822_stallman2.jpg
19 KB, 300x219
>>51729083
If they want to fire you they will fire you, there's no point in trying to cover your ass unless you are planning on taking them to court for unfair dismissal. In which case there 95% of the time you'll just lose, so start saving your paychecks and stop being such a whiney bitch.
>>
File: eQ56MaC.webm (140 KB, 644x540) Image search: [Google]
eQ56MaC.webm
140 KB, 644x540
>>51729366
Womyn*
>>
>>51729451
>implying 30 isn't part of millenials
>>
>>51731366
>muh gaymergate
I want neo-/g/ to leave.
>>
innocent until proven guilty. if you're in north america that is. if so, you're in luck. just deny it and tell them that you will need proof of this. also report this shit to your labour board or whatever organization you are permitted to complain to.
>>
>>51731856
I want neo-/g/ to leave
>>
File: 1448006815509.png (588 KB, 640x641) Image search: [Google]
1448006815509.png
588 KB, 640x641
>>51729083
>HR is breathing down my neck and threatening to fire me over web surfing I haven't done
ok so where are the logs that prove that I did it?
there are none?
I think I would like to formally complain about someone lying to get me fired (in email with cc to higher ups).

wow that was hard. I’m more surprised you have a job as a dev being this inept in such simple situation.
>>
>>51729083
The only people I know of that tend to get 'HR breathing down their necks' are the people that are shit employees, and HR needs any excuse to get rid of your ass.

Every coworker I've had that's had issues with HR has been a lazy piece of shit, or simply sucked at your job.

The fact that your coworkers are complaining about you confirms this.
>>
>>51729646
>I can certifiably say is write-once, read-only. Any suggestions?

Windows records the last modified time in the files. This should be enough.
>>
>>51732076
Note how he ran as soon as it was pointed out they'd have logs.
"They caught me surfing, I lied, and they didn't believe my lie? WAAAH! I know, I'm gonna go to 4chan and lie to them! If they believe me, that proves that HR should have believed my lies!"
Fucking Millennials.
>>
>>51732182
Yeah. I'm a millennial, and holy shit I am constantly amazed by how lazy and uncaring my coworkers are. I have coworkers that I see surfing youtube, facebook, twitter, amazon, and steam-chat -and they say "I'm on break" or "I'm just listening to it, not watching." Like it matters? If your boss or CEO walks by your desk and sees you doing anything but work, he/she's going to wonder why the fuck you work there.

Get to work at 8am, leave at 5pm. For 8 fucking hours can you just do what is asked of you?

And then they'll say "I have nothing to do." Then better yourself and learn a skill related to your job.

ugh /rant
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.