[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many times did you have to type commands this year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: t.jpg (290 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
t.jpg
290 KB, 600x900
How often did you have to type commands to fix problems or just get around your operating system this year? I use Windows 10 (upgraded for free from Windows 8.1) and never opened the terminal/command prompt.
>>
>>51728460
>I use Windows

Sure, if all you do is facebook, you wont need to.
Ask a winblows programmer though, you'll get a different story.

Source: Am a programmer.
>>
>>51728538
Do they take illiterate idiots as programmers nowadays?

>to fix problems or just get around your operating system
>>
>>51728460
hmm been running Xubuntu full time since Februrary, no issues so far. I usually use the CL to update and upgrade, but that's my own preference. I could easily use the software center.

shitty attempt at troll thread.
sage/10
>>
yes, countless

a lot of good windows tools are cli only
>>
>>51728460
Is programming included? Or installing stuff?
Then yes.

Didn't have to fix problems in the CL as everything went pretty based. And what do you mean by 'get around your OS'?
>>
>>51728460
I can't think of a year where I HAVEN'T had to open the command line in Windows to run chkdsk or some other repair utility because something fucks up.
>>
>>51728460
I have scripts to automate a lot of things I do in my OS. So, many times, and each time I did in seconds what would have taken minutes or hours in a GUI.
>>
>>51728729
>tfw you can't use the GUI anymore in Windows to forget wireless networks
>tfw you have to use CLI to remove previously "remembered" wireless networks

lel
>>
i installed gentoo on 3 machines. how many do you think scrub?
>>
>>51728460

Fix problems? None. Installing wifi drivers was the only real problem and running "additional drivers" solved it in three clicks.

Installing optional things? Many times. There were GUI tools (synaptic package manager, software center) available for 99% of these but why waste a minute clicking shit when it takes 5 seconds to type a line into the terminal?

>winbabby trying to justify muh gaems botnet
>>
>>51728460
When i was younger, I used to get the weirdest boner when she would get eaten by the lizard.
>>
>>51728460
constantly. i use glorious slackware.

also just installed linux from scratch.
>>
Ha ha, you got the Free Microsoft® Windows® 10 update too? Not surprising considering Microsoft®™ is the best company ever, and the Microsoft™® Windows™® operating system is way better than that stupid Linux shit. Man, my life has gotten so much better and simpler since I started using Microsoft® Windows® 10, the Microsoft® Bing™ search engine, and of course the great Microsoft® Edge™ web browser, available only on Windows® 10! High five for software superiority bro!
>>
0 times.
I'm glad I use Windows and I don't need to learn arcane terminal commands like it's 1985.
>>
i've spent 198 hours in terminal since the start of september according to rescuetime

i literally just spend all day in it
>>
>>51729301
Using W10, this is not an exaggeration at all..

Fuck
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.