[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pcb/ - PC Building General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: 1435594283606.jpg (37 KB, 660x486) Image search: [Google]
1435594283606.jpg
37 KB, 660x486
Post your future builds, post advice, insult other people's choices.

Here is the computer I'm currently building:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PhKFvK

I've already purchased the blu-ray drive, monitor, keyboard/mouse, PSU, hard drive and CPU cooler. Was wondering if the rest of the build is the best for what I have.
>>
My build

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Teh_reaper112/saved/shrbt6

I know the case is pricey but from its ncix video it looks very roomy and easy to work inside of with all that space to expand into.
>>
>>51728103
build is good
try to find a cheaper case option and go for this card instead:
www.amazon.com/XFX-990MHZ-2XDVI-Graphics-R9-380X-F24M/dp/B017WMD1Z4/
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rM4TQ7
Hate on anything. My goal is to stay under 2000$ but build something kickass. Looking for tips on a better reference card, if there's a better bang for buck Mobo, and hopefully figure out some fucking way to cool the cpu but I've gone so back and forth on it. Help appreciated am new
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RBfKvK

Thoughts? This is a build for a cousin who isn't very knowledgeable about PCs or electronics, but some day will be.

Note:
>psu is overwatted to allow for a crossfire'd 380X in the future
>cpu/mobo are oc enabled, but I'm not going to bother ocing hence the stock cooler. I just want him to be able to in the future.
>ram is 1x8 rather than 2x4 for futureproofing but I'm not sure if I should change that for the immediate dual channel performance increase
>>
I don't know if I want to build a completely new PC or just upgrade.

My sound fucks right up when I open programs up and I'm thinking about just purging the old entirely.
>>
I own a company where we custom design/build PCs for consumer and business use.

I don't mind taking questions for the next half an hour or so.
>>
>>51731138
do you install pirated windows on the pcs?

at what point in your life did you become a c͏uckold?
>>
>>51731151

Nope, we pay for bulk copies. We typically only install 7 unless special requested by austimos to install 8/10.

And no, I started this company myself and quite literally did everything myself, working 20-30 hour binges for weeks to get off the ground. I'm relatively young and own my own house, have a girlfriend, car, etc.
>>
>>51731207
look we're all small business owners with active dating lives here, but you're dodging the question. how frequent are your c͏uckolding sessions?
>>
>>51731225

To be honest, my girl and I do everything together. We usually are home, we do some social shit here and there but we're very busy and not able to afford spending frivolously.
>>
>>51730672
The 850 psu is a good bit larger than you actually need. Consider a high quality 650 like the SSR-650RM instead.

This is more subjective, but you're spending $350 on that 1440p monitor when you could get 2 1080s for $50 less. I'd definitely get a dual setup instead.

Your case looks like it's cramped and ugly and cheap. Check out the Define S (no >optical bay), or any other mid tower honestly.

If you're dropping $1.8k on this build I assume you play a lot of the newest hyper-graphics meme games with 50gb installs. If that's the case you might not be satisfied with a 120gb ssd, since bloat will take that over quickly.
>>
Is this aight?
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Scales101/saved/VDWv6h
>>
File: LAWspecs.png (23 KB, 572x514) Image search: [Google]
LAWspecs.png
23 KB, 572x514
>>51731608

You could do so much better for so much less.
>>
>>51731608
Looks good.

It's extremely important that you get the black version of that case though. Also note that the cheaper cases tend to scratch very easily, if you weren't aware.

Don't fall for the AMD cpu meme.
>>
The definitive guide to identifying a /g/oy:

- 80+ Silver/Gold/Platinum PSU
- 'K' processor
- Motherboard that costs over $60
- Case fans
- High frequency RAM
- Pre-built/Genuine Windows copy
- i7
- Water cooling
- $500+ GPU
>>
>>51731764
Bronze PSUs literally fail within a year every time, regardless of manufacturer, and set an electrical fire that is guaranteed to cause at least $10k in damages when they do.
>>
>>51731764
What's wrong with i7?
>>
>>51731764

Stop spending your shekels on new onaholes and maybe you could afford to have nice things.
>>
File: i5_vs_i7.png (5 KB, 819x241) Image search: [Google]
i5_vs_i7.png
5 KB, 819x241
>>51731843

The improvement for gaming is marginal at best, non-existent at worst. It's not value-for-money for other applications either.

inb4 some 1337 'video editor' takes exception

>>51731865

Most of those things such as high-speed RAM or Windows or 'Gold'-rated PSUs or ULTRA-QUAD-QUADFIRE memeboards literally do nothing for performance or can be had for free.
>>
File: who could it be.png (11 KB, 274x290) Image search: [Google]
who could it be.png
11 KB, 274x290
>>51731785
>>
>>51731962
Fuck off you antisem- I mean- shitposter. If your board and supply don't have milspec sniper grade solid capacitors you're probably just a bitter poorfag.
>>
>>51731932

Yeah, it's too bad I get those memeboards for shit cheap with a business merchant account. Same goes for the RAM.

$10 extra dollars for the MSI 970? Count me in.
>>
>>51731932

Though I will agree with you on the i7, but either way, we manufacture plenty of video editing boxes with them.
>>
Running i3 2120 and a 7770, gaymen @1600x900
Would the i3 bottleneck the 960? And does it use more power than the 7770?
>>
>>51732051
>gaymen @1600x900
oh god why
>>
File: ram_speed_benchmark.png (94 KB, 893x621) Image search: [Google]
ram_speed_benchmark.png
94 KB, 893x621
>>51731996

Should have used your 'merchant' account to get discounts on the cheaper motherboards/RAM

Also
>3.5GB
>>
>>51732059
Because i dont have money for a full gaymen 1080p
>>
>>51732125
i'd invest in a 1080p monitor before i bought a new gpu. up until recently i had a 6850 which i believe is similar to your card, and it worked fine.
>>
>>51732059
You think that's bad, just built a new pc for a friend of mine who uses it to game on a shitty 768p tv from 2007. What's even dumber is that he has a 22" 1680x1050 monitor as well but likes the TV more so he doesn't use it anymore.
>>
>>51731378
Thanks, appreciate all the input, personally I'd like to stick with the 1440p, I enjoy my meme-games, but really wasn't planning on putting them on the SSD. I would be willing to change the case except that I liked how cheap this one was, and I like having an optical drive. I've measured everything and it seemed to be snug but nothing too tight.

Any advice on the mobo or cpu cooler though? Sorry to be so new. I want to learn
>>
>>51732273
The mobo is a great price for a Z chipset. If you read the reviews, you'll see people complain about issues OCing and shit quality pins but those don't appear to be universal and if they're the biggest issues you're fine.

Your cooler is the definitive budget cooler and has a really great price/performance, but it'll be the limiting factor if you want to oc the 4790 past 4.5ish ghz. If you want to do that (you probably don't care that much) then you'll need a bigger cooler that'll be more in the $60 price range.
>>
>>51732329
Okay. Is it bad to have giant fans like that hanging off/onto the cpu? I'm trying to make a good system but make sure I'm not hurting shit by being PC-build retarded. Not confident to Fuck with liquid cooling tho
>>
>>51732399
The fans are supported by the mobo with 4 screws, the CPU shouldn't take any of the load.

All-in-one liquid cooling is retard-proof though so don't rule it out because of difficulty.
>>
>>51732067

That's the problem - companies that I buy from tend to overstock the msi 970 mobo and end up selling it for $75.00 when the month's end rolls around. Same isn't said about cheaper mobos where only 10 of them sit in stock for eternity until it's dumpster time.

Same with the RAM. It's a matter of what's being frantically pushed out the door by third party retailers.
>>
What PC can I build with a 350 buck budget?
Just the machine, no monitor or keyboard.

It's going to replace my 7 year old laptop and it's for daily use without anything too intensive.
>>
>>51732449
Can you elaborate on "too intensive"? It matters.
>>
>>51732417
tard-proof is good. but fans sound easier maintenance wise. Which is better cooling for the price? AIO or fans that is. I can't imagine ever wanting to OC past 4.5 but I'd like to keep the cpu colder if I can right? I'd be willing to spend probably about 60-70 on AIO
>>
>>51732490
How intensive is shitposting on /g/ and hoarding anime?

Basic stuff really, no games besides some roguelikes and Super Nintendo emulation.
>>
>>51732449

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rcMG99
>>
>>51732492
Fans are easier maintenance-wise. AIOs have fans on them anyway. I don't know if the $60 liquid coolers are any better than the $60 fans, but either should be fine. The 212 you've got is fucking big though and higher TDP rated coolers will only be bigger, so AIO liquid will save space.
>>
>>51732550
Okay. Well suppose I go AIO when all is done. I've read mixed shit there too as to what's good and what's trash. Cooler master? Corsair? NZXT? I really am trying to prioritize performance over aesthetics. The case I have seemed like it had decent airflow. I don't want meme-y glowing shit if that's what I'm paying more for on AIO
>>
>>51732449

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YQGmwP
how much anime do you hoard? seems like storage is the only thing you need to care about, aside from having the minimum to run windows/web browser/mpchd.

save $100 for neetbux and touhou doujin music cds.
>>
Are Sandisk SSDs good? I can get a Sandisk Plus 120 gb for 45 yuros or a Samsung 850 EVO 120 gb for 61, which one should I get? €16 doesn't seem like a big deal but I'm already over my budget for the whole build here
>>
is a seasonic s12ii 520W enough for an i5 4460 and a 280x?
>>
>>51732807
there's not a particularly big difference. sandisk is fine. the difference between the sandisk and the samsung is marginal compared to the difference between either and an hdd.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.