[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to do with a eee pc 701 4g? I tried playing netflix on it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: eeepc_full.jpg (474 KB, 1000x1272) Image search: [Google]
eeepc_full.jpg
474 KB, 1000x1272
What to do with a eee pc 701 4g? I tried playing netflix on it on windows xp but failed miserably, too slow.
Any way to play netflix on it faster?
>>
Download movies from torrent and play them with MPHC.
>>
>winbdows on a netbook
AHAHAHHHHAHHAHAHHAA.

GNU/Linux with a lightweight desktop/WM.
>>
>>51726799
throw in trash and buy a proper laptop
even an iPhone 4 could outperform that shit
>>
OP here
I know its really weak. Just wondering if I can put it to good use.. I was trying to watch some netflix at my mom's house.
>>
>>51726799
I have one, only use for it is a low power web server. it's like a rasberry pi with a screen and keyboard but less powerfull.
>>
>>51727300

>buy Iphone with shitty small screen for 200$
>buy netbook, install a distro on it
>choose latter and enjoy your small browsing experience
>>
>>51727424
its cpu is better than the pi

the pi just has the advantage of a better gpu, especially with the inclusion of a 1080p h264 video decoder in hardware

the eeepc would make a better web server beacuse;
a. the cpu is better
b. it has a proper, pci-connected ethernet chipset
c. it's possible to add more high-speed storage as it has 2 (i think, at least 1 though) mini pci-express connectors internally
>>
>>51726799
Choose software to maximize the battery life and use it as an actual portable system.
>>
I like netbooks too. Just not that one.

Sell it and buy a Dell mini 910, similar price range (~$25 - 50 depending on config), same physical size, comes with 8, 16, or 32 gb hard drives.

Also the 1015 family of eee pcs are nice, I picked up a 1015pem for $50 and a 1015pn for $80. They're both dual cores and the 1015 actually has a discrete GPU in it so you can play minecraft with a decent view distance.

No idea on netflix performance (I'm fedora and don't like passive entertainment) but even the 910 can play 240p youtube just fine.

4 gigs of storage is fucking retarded, even most (noob friendly) linux distros won't fit in that out of the box. You'll have to use a minimal install and fuck around installing packages and shit, or else use something super minimal like Puppy or Slitaz. These are a bit unsatisfying to use as daily drivers and are unlikely to include the DRM drivers you need for kuckflix. You could try installing everything to an 8+ GiB USB drive you leave in the system, but again, sort of a hassle, not newb friendly.

Just put a bunch of NES and DMG games on it and buy yourself a different $50 netbook.
>>
>>51728282

*1015pn has a discrete GPU in it. Haven't been able to get the HDMI out to work in either windows or linux, but the nVidia ION works in both so that's nice
>>
File: scratch.jpg (23 KB, 542x419) Image search: [Google]
scratch.jpg
23 KB, 542x419
>>51728282
>calling gameboy dmg
>>
>>51726799
Install silverlight and netflix should work fine.
>>
I once had a netbook, threw the internal pcie wifi card out because broken and replaced it with a Broadcom crystalHD thingy to enable hardware h264 decoding.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.