[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does somebody even consider C a decent language? It is just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 79Jva0K.jpg (836 KB, 2408x3728) Image search: [Google]
79Jva0K.jpg
836 KB, 2408x3728
Why does somebody even consider C a decent language? It is just a fucking relic from another time and not usable at all in the current time.

It is deprecated and should not be used anymore.
>>
>>51723380
I write firmware and driver support (Windows and Linux) for a living. C is lingua franca in this area, and that's not going to change any time soon in near future.
>>
>>51723380
>Let's just run everything on a VM or in an interpreter! That'll make things safer!
they tried that with Java, look how it turned out
>>
>>51723380
If you do open source contributions, there are several desktop utilities reliant on it.
>>
>>51723380
Try doing embedded development and running a train/car/plane in Java or Python with the same safety standards...
Yeah no.
>>
>>51723380
what about the zombie deathworms? the can burrow straight through those flimsy steel walls.
>>
>>51723380
Programmers use a plethora of language for different purposes, see >>51723921 and >>51723412
No actual programmer give a fuck about language worship because they're just tools.
>>
Try to write a kernel with Java or Python.

Protip: you can't
>>
>>51723380
>shipping your sewage against gravity to a sceptic tank several floors above you
>>
>>51724200
That was the first thing I thought of as well.
>>
>>51723380
Just wanna say that when the endless horde of zombies starts to fart into the ventilation vent you're finished.
>>
>>51724200
>>51724498

I agree, the treatment should be on the same level or below, only excess should be pumped up. The only benefit I see is to flood the security levels to drown intruders
>>
It still offers the best performance of any language really, due to being relatively low level.
The people who hate C are the ones that write shit C and hate that the language doesn't hold their hand at all.
>>
>>51723380
You're still relying on the surface
dead/10

you need nuclear power with a way to generate your own oxygen
>>
that's why we have c#/c++
>>
>>51724071
Yes you can unfortunately, but if it's worth the brainfuck absolutely fucking not.
It actually was a fucking microkernel for booting into 32bit mode with very basic memory management written in assembly with a java interpreter on top for everything else.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.