[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come most CS majors don't know shit about CS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: 49902064.jpg (121 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
49902064.jpg
121 KB, 500x500
How come most CS majors don't know shit about CS?
>>
ooga booga wea da java inheritance at
>>
File: 307343-ct_large.jpg (25 KB, 300x531) Image search: [Google]
307343-ct_large.jpg
25 KB, 300x531
they don't have time for video games
>>
>>51722324
because most CS majors are smug fucks that think they're 1337 h4x0rs and all they do is find ways to cheat in their tests, rather than to solve a problem. They think that the internet has everything, so they don't have to learn the material right now and that when they get hired, they can just google it and learn it.
>>
>>51722324
Because CS programs are glorified Java programming vocational schools.

One of the seniors at my school seriously considered FizzBuzz to be an actual challenge. Like it's a test of your problem-solving skills, and not a way to weed out liars who are literally not programmers. He seemed to be really proud when he figured out how to programmatically print a pyramid using C++... What are people like this going to do when they try to actually get a job in software?
>>
>>51722532
Web dev
>>
>>51722324
A lot of schools have a really bad CS curriculum. They learn enough to throw buzzwords around, but not enough to actually do anything.
If I didn't do my own reading and work outside of school, I'd also be a fizzbuzz tier programmer.
>>
>>51722376
>They think that the internet has everything, so they don't have to learn the material right now and that when they get hired, they can just google it and learn it.
And they are totally right.
>>
>>51722376
>They think that the internet has everything, so they don't have to learn the material right now and that when they get hired, they can just google it and learn it.

Pretty much correct matey.
>>
>>51722376
But that's not wrong
>>
File: k-man.jpg (213 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
k-man.jpg
213 KB, 1024x685
>>51722576
Are you trying to make me cry? Don't denounce the only skill I have in this cruel life.
>>
I was a CompSci undergraduate and I can tell you from experience the vast majority of students were there because they felt it was an impressive path to take. Their former teachers were proud, their parents were proud, and they could avoid real-life momentarily by continuing education. They didn't have a true vested interest, they were just pressed by societal pressures.

In my opinion if you get all the way to a university CompSci course and you're not at least slightly profficient with a language, then you're kidding yourself. You're completely lost and only a miracle will save you.
>>
>>51722324
Because some people complained about the math so it was dumbed-down
>>
who gives a fuck about cs lol. My employer doesnt give a fuck if i know CS or not
>>
File: 0084 - lZKwhd4.png (908 KB, 700x775) Image search: [Google]
0084 - lZKwhd4.png
908 KB, 700x775
>>51723468
are you self employed?
>>
>>51722324
most X majors don't know shit about X
>>
File: 1448992286705.jpg (20 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1448992286705.jpg
20 KB, 170x170
>>51722376

But I am trying to learn it now, I don't want to waste anyone's time if I ever find a job in this field after college. Hell we don't have groups in our classes so we are basically forced to work alone and learn it.

At least that's how they did it in the first year to weed out the people who weren't committed
>>
File: 1446099110139.jpg (61 KB, 828x766) Image search: [Google]
1446099110139.jpg
61 KB, 828x766
>>51722365
underrated
>>
>>51723950
> I spent $60,000 on my degree and anyone who hasn't made their own Lisp is a useless faggot.
> I hack ruby and it runs like shit
>>
retards go into compsci, smart people go into mathematics
>>
>>51727805
At UChicago, the computer science professors are all math professors. The first language they teach you is Haskell.
>>
>>51727805
Have fun teaching math at schools
>>
>>51727877
sploosh
>>
>>51722324
Because most people think CS == programming.
>>
>>51723468
Enjoying your 25k plus tip?
>>
>>51723468
Does your employer happen to be your mommy
>>
>>51728171
worst part is when employers think that
>>
>>51722324

My CS program is basically software engineering which I'm ok with, it'll help me get a job so I can probably fund myself to get into AI/Robotics
>>
>>51722906
don't listen to him bud
>>
>>51729965
Unless you do lots of math getting into AI will be hard
>>
Really demoralizing to see people who can't think logically, can't program, can't understand even basic data structures, etc, being churned out of my alma mater.

I'm pretty sure my degree is worthless by now.
>>
>>51729965
hope you like statistics bub :^) CS major doing AI and it's fun.
>>
at 95% of colleges computer science is just another word for software engineering, and doesn't even require calculus to take
>>
>advanced memorization institution
That's why. Schools/colleges/universities are fucking worthless for actual knowledge. They just teach people how to memorize shit for an exam and that's it.
>>
>>51722906
mate he's right, all the code monkeys that are too stupid to get hired as an actual dev go into web dev, it's literally the easiest thing in the world
>>
>>51729965
>so I can probably fund myself to get into AI/Robotics
Pray tell. I'm interested.
>>
>>51731884
your degree is only one factor though, just make sure you have a nice portfolio by the time you apply somewhere.
>>
>>51732636
Well, I do, but I spent 3 years getting that degree, so I don't like to see it devalued to trash.
>>
>>51722324
>How come most CS majors don't know shit about CS?

Because most "CS" isn't CS. All of CS falls under mathematics. But most CS programs are a mishmash of basic mathematics (some graph theory, some logic), then a bunch of "practical" stuff that's actually vastly more important for the huge majority of future software makers.

Aside from a relatively small portion of software engineers, you'll never have any need of any of your CS degree. So long as you can recognize painfully obvious code (like nested for loops), and pause to even think about it for a moment, maybe do some Googling, you will meet the majority of actual job requirements.

Honestly, the most important (and lacking) abilities in software engineers I've seen have been the following: 1) Getting shit done. An amazing number of people just can't fucking finish anything. Whether they just can't wrap their head around it, can't focus, can't avoid premature optimization rabbit holes, etc, whatever, they can't fucking GET. SHIT. DONE. 2) Write software that they'll understand a year from now. Most people write horrid godawful shit that nobody -- including themselves -- will understand in the future. 3) Being consistent. People want to jump ship for something to save them from the perceived drudgery before they've even learned the prior technology to a reasonable degree. They have depressive episodes and just don't show up. They comment thoroughly in one place, and completely neglect another. They're painfully inconsistent.

By the way, a CRITICAL skill that people mysteriously discount is Googling ability. Honestly, it's an actual skill in and of itself. You don't just have to find your way to Stackoverflow, you have to understand the problem enough to come up with search terms, you have to process information and throw out the incorrect results, and you have to integrate the solution reasonably well.
>>
>>51722369
Underrated post
>>
>>51732655
well did you learn useful stuff there?

I've been doing something alike CS here in Europe and the place is littered with gaymers and slackers and in some sense that might devalue the degree but as long as I learn useful and interesting stuff every day that's fine by me.

I've also noticed that most of these gaymers don't take any interest in technology outside of school. When I go home I browse tech sites and board, and just soak up knowledge all evening. Since you're here I imagine you do the same and that gives you a big edge over all the other people that work in IT.
>>
>>51722576
>>51732566
eh! i wouldn't completely agree desu. the pain induced by poorly implemented and at times intentionally crippled 'standards' far outweighs any other kind of development i've ever done.

style bugs, display bugs, layout bugs, event handling bugs, object modelling bugs, ie6. and you have to accommodate all of them. ALL OF THEM.

there are fucks out there with shit so old it's unbelievable; and they are your target. i imagine the ie6 problem isn't as bad anymore with the banishment of xp, but i'm guessing that void is filled with a slew of various mobile platforms nowadays.
>>
>>51733777
yes that's true, web dev has developed to a point where it actually isn't that easy anymore

there's still plenty of room for bad developers though, especially at companies that cater small companies that need static websites
>>
Because most schools are shit and have the same view of CS that many of the autists on here does ("its about programman")

Go to a top tier university and you won't have this problem.
>>
>>51733986
>yes that's true, web dev has developed to a point where it actually isn't that easy anymore
nah it's gotten easier imo. ever since ie7 their standards compliance has been pretty good when using the strict doctype.

css3 allows for less hackish layout markup and transitions wipe away the need for a large bulk of javascript.
all desktop rendering engines have built in debug tools.
asynchronous transfers are becoming a proper thing now as well.
backend stuff was usually the easy part. controlled, documented, predictable. client side was the wild fucking west

>there's still plenty of room for bad developers though, especially at companies that cater small companies that need static websites
static or dynamic, you can still commit absolute atrocities with both of them. the real issue with web dev is that even when you do something wrong, it'll still output something. usually with a flavoured bug from whatever browser it's tested in
>>
>>51732484
Why is /g/ always saying this? Name me one school with a CS degree that doesn't require calc (Community College & Meme Schools don't count)
>>
>>51734649
Exactly. Even my crappy school requires calc 2, matrices/linear algebra/stats. And most cs majors end up doing a minor in mathmatics, which is my plan.
>>
>>51722576
I think this is a meme, at least of you intend to be a full stack web dev.

Sure html + css is a joke.

Sure php is shit easy to pick up.

And yes, python is an easy lang and w django or flask youre all set.

But actually making the above work together in a presentable functioning fashion? Takes some time
>>
>>51732506

Well thats not too far off from schooling in general. We teach kids what to think, not how to think
>>
>>51734649
My schools CS program is nothing special, and they need up to calc 3, linear alg, and stats along with discrete 1 and 2

Im in the IT program which has a lot of CS focus and even I have to take calc 1, stats as well as discrete 1.

Then again my school is one of 30 in the nation to offer an ABET accredited IT program
>>
>>51735031
Discrete 1 and 2*
>>
>>51722532

This

I've learned more when I was 14 ripping into tossed electronics than I have in the past 2 years
>>
>all these assumptions based on interactions with 1st or 2nd year CS majors
By the time we graduate, we know a lot of useless shit about CS, trust me.
>>
>>51733777

>IE6
Who says you have to support it? Just display an error message telling them to fuck off and get a browser that isn't fucking ancient.
>>
>>51722324
Yet they have a higher chance of getting a job than someone with out a degree
>>
>>51731816

Yea I'm currently a junior right now studying Math on the side

>>51731920

Nice! just curious, what books would recommend for learning Stats?

>>51732616

Plan is to get a good paying job after graduation and save up enough for a good grad school for either AI or Robotics
>>
>>51722532
>Because CS programs are glorified Java programming vocational schools.
Not if you go to a real school nerd
>>
Well if you want to go uphill with c++ all your life to get over $100k when you're 50, then have fun. That's why people go into web dev. It's a low hanging fruit
>>
>>51722365
kek
>>
Second year CS major at a SUNY school. Brand new data structures professor that had us make a javascript engine and now he has us parsing language to find rhymes and shit. It's a fucking hard class, no doubt, and working with classmates is forbidden (dude has a tendency of too many false-positive "YOU CHEATED!"). But it's fun as fuck and I really enjoy it. There still are CS programs that actually teach CS, not just some shit code monkey-tier programming
>>
>>51734931

PHP is easy to pick up, but is probably the hardest to master because of the cluster fuck of poor design choices.

Building webpage with form using PHP is easy. Doing anything of significance becomes an exercise in frustration compared to Java or Node.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.