[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Ubuntu with Unity so hated? - Based on Debian, so you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1436146555332.jpg (171 KB, 995x765) Image search: [Google]
1436146555332.jpg
171 KB, 995x765
Why is Ubuntu with Unity so hated?

- Based on Debian, so you know it's good

- Best font rendering out of any distro, Infinality won't save you

- Fast and stable, with a ton of programs and a very polished package manager

- Developed and maintained by an actual company that's working towards improving Linux, not a handful of people who do it as a hobby

- Supported by large companies like Valve and is used as the only distribution that Valve tests, ports and plays it's games on. Also has the largest number of video card driver options as well as the best drivers available out of the box.
>>
>>51722077
Because everyone in here needs something to complain about.
Ubuntu is fine.
>>
>>51722077
>Based on Debian, so you know it's good
Has nothing to do with Unity

>Best font rendering out of any distro, Infinality won't save you

>Fast and stable, with a ton of programs and a very polished package manager

>Developed and maintained by an actual company that's working towards improving Linux, not a handful of people who do it as a hobby

>Supported by large companies like Valve and is used as the only distribution that Valve tests, ports and plays it's games on. Also has the largest number of video card driver options as well as the best drivers available out of the box.
Has nothing to do with Unity.

So to summarise for you:
>Why is Ubuntu with Unity so hated?
Because Unity is evil as in a soul sucking demon in software form.
>>
>>51722077
Ubuntu is fine if you like it. However, I prefer Fedora so that's what I use.
>>
>>51722188
B-But anon, Unity is maintained and developed by the company that makes Ubuntu.

Also, there is a difference in font-rendering between the official flavor of Ubuntu and it's variants.

I saw a difference when I used Xubuntu.
>>
>>51722188
The solution:

> It's simple. We KILL the Unity

Just install a WM / DE and purge Unity. There ya go.
>>
>>51722077
>Based on Debian
Aptitude is a trash package manager, and Ubuntu repos are pretty terrible.

>Best font rendering out of any distro
Ootb. A decent font config file on any distro will fix that, and fonts are open source too nerdo

>Fast and stable
As is any other well designed distro. Ubuntu repos are mediocre, again, aptitude belongs in the trash.

>Developed and maintained by an actual company
All the more reason why you can't trust it to stay good, because there's little to no mindset behind it. Companies break. Circlejerks don't.

Ubuntu has nothing to do with drivers lol, it's just the easiest because it works ootb.

Unity is utter shit, as well.

Personal opinions though to be entirely honest with you familia
>>
File: lyl.jpg (35 KB, 372x314) Image search: [Google]
lyl.jpg
35 KB, 372x314
>>51722077
>Based on Debian, so you know it's good
Yeah nah not really.
>>
>>51722271
>Debian Unstable packages but managed and supported
>no manually installing non-free drivers

Yeah, it surpasses it.
>>
>>51722222
>B-But anon, Unity is maintained and developed by the company that makes Ubuntu.
And obviously they should be shot, because they are incompetent. Seriously, my dual monitor set up makes it consume 4 fucking gigabytes of memory and take 45 fucking seconds to do a simple window resize, because of some lame regression bug because all the Unity developers do all their development and testing on tiny thinkpads.

>Also, there is a difference in font-rendering between the official flavor of Ubuntu and it's variants.
There's not, see graphic card driver.

>I saw a difference when I used Xubuntu.
That's because you were too fucking retarded to set your DPI to a sensible value (no the default isn't sane you idiot).
>>
>>51722077
>very polished package manager
see: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux#Debian-based
>"Uses the APT package manager, prone to disastrous dependency problems"
>>
just the elitists, ignore them.
>>
>>51722254
That's exactly what I do.
>>
Canonical doesn't do shit with drivers. Their kernel releases are actually older than a lot of other distros and have older drivers. The kernel is the thing with the drivers canonical just provides an interface so you can switch to the proprietary drivers easier but with AMD that would probably not be wise and with Nvidia it's usually not hard to install them yourself anyway.
>>
>>51722332
>installgentoo.com
>"it says so on this internet site therefore it must be true!"
Go play in traffic.
>>
>>51722332
There's no secret that the autists who maintain that are Archfags or autistic enough to install Gentoo.

Portage is nice, but Pacman is shit. I used Arch for 6 months and it deleted all my fucking config files when I updated.
>>
>>51722381
If you ever used APT for anything other than installing libraries for steam you'd know APT is pure trash when it comes to handling dependencies.

>apt-get remove mate-desktop
>aight buddy i'll remove xorg and half of xfce too you seem to not need that shit.
>>
>>51722332
I've never had issues with Atptitude, at least half of you hasn't either but follow the meme trend
>>
>>51722077
Fuck's wrong with her shoulder?
>>
>>51722409
>If you ever used APT for anything other than installing libraries for steam you'd know APT is pure trash when it comes to handling dependencies.
I have, you fucking pleb. We even make .deb (and RPM) packages at my company.

It is the very best at handling dependencies.

>removing desktop before installing the new one
You deserve it, basically. Also,
>implying removing mate-desktop also removes lightdm or gdm
Yeah, no. At least use an example that's realistic, instead of pulling stuff out your ass.
>>
DUDE
WHAT IF WE MAKE A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT
BUT LIKE DUDE
WHAT IF
WHAT IF TO MAKE LIKE SUUUUPER COOL
HEAR ME OUT
WE MAKE IT USE
OPENGL

DUDE

- Mark Shuttleworth
>>
>>51722502
>Her

Lad...
>>
File: lolbrit.jpg (1 MB, 1911x3000) Image search: [Google]
lolbrit.jpg
1 MB, 1911x3000
>>51722553
>this entire fucking post
>>
>>51722610
Nice meme post
>>
>>51722553
>removing desktop before installing the new one
I had debian XFCE setup and installed mate-desktop on top of it.
After I finished playing with mate-desktop I wanted to remove it.
APT decided I gotta remove xorg and xfce as well.

Learn to read.

>It is the very best at handling dependencies.
>You deserve it
Make your mind already.

But yeah, keep defending the shittiest package manager of the linux world.
dnf/rpm is vastly superior to dpkg/apt
>>
>>51722679
that's because apt is the worst fucking package manager ever

slow as balls too
>>
>>51722679
>APT decided I gotta remove xorg and xfce as well.

Except you're pulling stuff out of your ass and this never really happened...

>But yeah, keep defending the shittiest package manager of the linux world.
dnf/rpm is vastly superior to dpkg/apt

>rpm
>doesn't even handle circular dependencies
>vastly superior
ok kid
>>
>>51722610
Look at that smug chav cunt, being carried around butt fucking naked by his servant nigger!
The audacity of some people, when's the government gonna supply me with one?
>>
If your only excuse for using Ubuntu is "muh large company" when its employees are currynigger tier, then you have no reason to not use fedora, maintained by real programmers which test already stable feature in their os, before porting them to Red Hat FUCKING ENTERPRISE Linux. The only downside is the "freetard only software" policy that can be easily circumvented
>>
>>51722254
What's a WM? What's a DE?
>>
>>51722679
Not him but RPM distros are fucking awful.

Fedora is shit, the only reason people use it is because "B-But Linus uses it". Even Linus complains about how awful Fedora is, and he fucking uses it.

CentOS is actually nice, but is strictly a server distro, people complain about Debian stable, but CentOS is way worse when it comes to package availability.

Opensuse is the only choice and it's not half as good as Ubuntu, Debian or Mint. It's nice, it's more polished and user friendly than Fedora, but it crashes like hell. I don't know if it was KDE being the shit that it is or just Opensuse being shit, but I went back to Debian an hour after.

Just come out as the autistic little Arch user you are anon.
>>
>>51722755
Did you also know that Redhat has an NSA backdoor?

So not only are you letting Redhat kek you, by being their little labrat, but you're literally being double-keked by the NSA.

Here I am, using Debian, having my freedoms respected and not having my system crash every update because m-muh bleeding edge autism.

Nice try Mr. On-the-spectrum.
>>
>>51722262
If you have to configure anything at all it immediately goes into the trash for average users.
>>
>>51722715
>Except you're pulling stuff out of your ass and this never really happened...
Nah, not really, xubuntu and later debian were my first distros and debian was definately the one i used the longest. I switched to Fedora very recently.

But whatever lets you sleep at night.

>>doesn't even handle circular dependencies
I'd rather have to manually resolve circular dependencies once in a decade than have a niggered up system everytime i remove something large.
>>
>>51723044
Apt is fine if you aren't autistic and DE-hop
>>
>>51723044
>Nah, not really, xubuntu and later debian were my first distros and debian was definately the one i used the longest.
This has nothing to do with your made up "example"...

>I'd rather have to manually resolve circular dependencies once in a decade than have a niggered up system everytime i remove something large.
I haven't had broken dependencies in Ubuntu in 4-5 years (and when I did back then it was fucking trivial to fix, like manually marking a package as kept in aptitude). You're clearly doing something horribly wrong.
>>
>>51723067
>apt is literally the greatest shit ever UNLESS you do most of the task a package manager should do for you
Yeah friend because of than "unless" I put apt-based in the trash where they belong
>>
>>51723044
>I distro hop therefore I'm an expert on different package management systems
Also, Ubuntu APT is actually different from Debian APT now, as Canonical has made their own extension called snappy.
>>
>>51723150
I stopped distrohopping when I gave up on apt-based distros.
>>
>>51723127
>apt is shit because I say it is shit
>>
File: 1404120490700.jpg (80 KB, 1140x475) Image search: [Google]
1404120490700.jpg
80 KB, 1140x475
>>51722553
>>51722715
>>51722793
>>51723067
>>51723100
>>51723150
>>51723169
>they ARE defending it

you canNOT make this shit up
>>
>>51723201
>when all else fails, resort to shitposting
ok kid
>>
>>51722758
Window Manager, Desktop Environment.
Google it
>>
>>51723201
APT is by far the best and most complete package management system on Linux distros, which is why some of the biggest/most popular distros use it and RPM tries to emulate it.
>>
>>51723237
>and RPM tries to emulate it.
Yeah by adding --suicide flag which randomly deletes packages you need
>>
>>51722077
Infinality is better than the stock Ubuntu rendering though.
Actually, is there anyway to get the infinality rendering on Debian?
>>
>>51722077
If Shuttleshit hadn't pulled his smug "we have root" nonsense in the face of the Amazon advertisement debacle, I'd be running Ubuntu.
>>
>>51722553
Apt will regularly want to remove most of your system. Fuck off
Pacman and Portage are much better.
>>
>>51722565
kek
>>
>>51722565
openGL rendering is a good thing though.
Gets rid of tearing completely. Why do you think people use compton?
>>
>>51722077
>- Based on Debian, so you know it's good
no
being based on something good does not make the derivative good
>- Best font rendering out of any distro, Infinality won't save you
that's personal preference, and can be easily changed
>- Fast
arguable
What linux distro is not fast?
also, unity is easily one of the biggest/most bloated DEs there is
>and stable
this is 100% bullshit, ubuntu breaks on me just about every time I do a release upgrade, only the LTS is stable
>with a ton of programs
again, arguable
it may have a ton of programs, but it's newly released software is often outdated, and it's lacking niche stuff
>and a very polished package manager
apt/dpkg is stable, but it's far from polished
>- Developed and maintained by an actual company that's working towards improving Linux, not a handful of people who do it as a hobby
canonical has a major case of NIH syndrome, they do shit their own way instead of helping out existing projects
show me one thing within the past month they've upstreamed
>- Supported by large companies like Valve and is used as the only distribution that Valve tests, ports and plays it's games on. Also has the largest number of video card driver options as well as the best drivers available out of the box.
this I'll give you, it is the best supported distro by hardware/software devs
>>
>>51726094
>portage
That's basically just a glorified shell script that pulls down source code and compiles it.

Hardly a package management system at all.
>>
>>51726305
By that reasoning, apt is just a glorified wget/cp script...
>>
Except for Unity, which is malware, /g/ hates Ubuntu because they can.

Some hate it for the same reason they hate on windows or OSX.

Some hate it because it's got a stupid name.

Some just SAY they hate because they heard others say they hate it.

Me? I never stick with an OS for too long anyway. Gone through Ubuntu and a couple varients, Antergos and Arch.

Debian refuses to work on my machine for some reason.

I tend to cycle through them every couple weeks.
>>
>>51722957
No one is an average user here, and the average user doesn't know that Linux exists.
Your argument belongs in the trash.
>>
File: 1420496207981-2.jpg (108 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1420496207981-2.jpg
108 KB, 500x500
>people actually like apt or think that it's better than literally any package manager including the shite hacked-together ones for windicks
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.