[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intel Compute Stick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 41HsL8Qho5L.jpg (17 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
41HsL8Qho5L.jpg
17 KB, 500x291
Anyone tried these?
My parents want something cheap and small for facebook and stuff like that.

Quadcore, 2GB Ram, Wifi etc.

They look kinda interesting.
>>
>>51719603

there is a sticky

read it
>>
>>51719603
They're shit. Poor thermal design means the CPU throttles like crazy. If you want a small shitbox for web surfing, a NUC or a Brix or something is a far better option.
>>
>>51719603
Unless your parents are into gaming or want to install gentoo and compile linux kernels, this + wireless mouse and keyboard will be perfect, OP.
>>
>>51719685
Not to mention that using Bluetooth and wi-fi at the same time absolutely kills performance of both, as they used a cheap as fuck chip to handle both, which tanks when asked to do both simultaneously.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/GULEEK-Quad-Core-Windows-Bing-Smart/dp/B00SKPTNFK

http://www.amazon.com/VENSMILE%C2%AE-iPC002-BayTrail-Quad-core-Bluetooth/dp/B00REGG6QU
>>
>>51719685
>>51719702

Well i'm between a computer stick or a NUC. The NUC looks kinda overpowered for the use my parents will give it.

Still, the thermal aspects are important.
>>
>>51719748
Honestly, the wi-fi/Bluetooth issue is a bigger deal than the CPU throttling. Even the usual Intel shill sites shit all over it in their reviews, so it must be really bad.

>What about Bluetooth peripherals, you say? Utterly worthless. Every device I connected suffered from high input latency and a flighty connection, translating to laggy mouse input and an infuriating keyboard delay. It took other Sean a solid hour to sort out the problem: the Compute Stick uses a single chip for both WiFi and Bluetooth communications, and it’s terrible at multitasking. The only way to fix it is to disable WiFi. Seriously?

http://gizmodo.com/intel-compute-stick-review-don-t-buy-it-1699377058
>>
>>51719748
>The NUC looks kinda overpowered for the use my parents will give it.

Get them a tablet. Some like a Galaxy 3 or so. Doesnt need to be from the newest Generation.
>>
>>51719813
Sounds bad, still i'll be using probably wireless peripherals with a hub.

>>51719816
I'm kinda unfamiliar with tablets. And if they don't use windows, i really don't want to get though explain how to OS to my parents again.

Fuck that.
>>
>>51719603
they're garbage. tell them to buy an iPad
>>
>>51719603
Get a chromebit instead
>>
File: 71LrcB47YIL._SL1026_.jpg (140 KB, 1026x1016) Image search: [Google]
71LrcB47YIL._SL1026_.jpg
140 KB, 1026x1016
>>51719735
Underrated Post

I think these may be able to run GNU + Linux. Stop being fags and try them out.
>>
>>51723470
I can't take you serious when you trip fag and smug image shill
>>
File: ^-^.jpg (188 KB, 1889x1037) Image search: [Google]
^-^.jpg
188 KB, 1889x1037
>>51723504
Dude that was my first post, I am seriously considering buying the silver one, once I finish my media server, and some other projects I have to do like fixing three PS3's (my firend gave me) I have lying around the house.

I really think these devices aren't as locked down and considering how cheap they are they are worth trying out.
>>
>>51719603
get a used netbook or chromebook
>>
>>51719603
My parents got one for general purpose surfing, youtube, emails and listening to some music on the old TV in their bedroom. It performs surprisingly well for its size. It's perfect if you want a smart TV but the plain old dumb TV is still good and prefer the familiar windows over some android OS because you're old and can't learn anymore.

>>51719685
Never seen it throttle, the fan doesn't even kick in until you watch youtube @1080p.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.