[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Japs obsessed with PIP and also why did TV manufacturers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: werrwe.png (1 MB, 1321x753) Image search: [Google]
werrwe.png
1 MB, 1321x753
Why are Japs obsessed with PIP and also why did TV manufacturers stop including it on their TV's?
>>
>>51707054
>add a tuner no one uses
>>
>>51707054
Japan is the most technologically advanced and enlightend country in the world. Do not question them.

TV manufacturers stop including it on their TVs marketed to white pigs because they are simplistic dimwitted savages.
>>
>>51707054
What's going on in that image?
>>
>>51707176
Tuna carving. A qt eleven is watching. Time is 8:45.
>>
>>51707873
>eleven
Now that's a term I haven't heard in a while
>>
Japan actually uses technology that is 5-10 years behind.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34667380

>This is a country that uses people to do the work of traffic lights and where big-name companies running 10-year-old software is the norm.

>There are even tape cassettes for sale in the ubiquitous convenience stores for office use, along with fax machines - remember them? Even tech visionaries like Sony still use a fax.

>"Japanese companies generally lag foreign companies by roughly five-to-10 years in adoption of modern IT practices, particularly those specific to the software industry," says Patrick McKenzie, boss of Starfighter, a software company with operations in Tokyo and Chicago.
>>
>>51709337
Is this satire? Fax is still an extremely common thing
>>
>>51709408
> Fax is still an extremely common thing
> extremely common thing

huehueheueheheuhehu
>>
>>51707054
I just found out my TV didn't have PIP so now I'm flipping between 3 college football games
>>
>>51709337
Don't they prefer older versions of windows, and 4:3 CRTs, as well?

Or is that just a meme
>>
PIP is useless if you are using a cable box. Specially when some ISPs (TWC) force you to use a converter box.
>>
>>51709430
I dunno. I think its because fax is considered a legal copy where as a scanned and emailed copy is not?
>>
>>51707054
My TV has PIP.
>>
>>51707054
You don't need a PIP capable TV to watch most of this crap in Japan, it's done while editing/broadcasting.

OP's pic is usually how they use it - Japs don't like disembodied commentary for some reason.

As for why TV manufacturers stopped including it?
Check if you have a STB/cable box attached to your TV. Fuck that jewery.
>>
>>51707054
What do people even use PIP for anyways? I can't think of a single time that I've wanted to watch multiple shows at once or play games and watch TV at the same time.
>>
>>51707054
I don't understand why I see so many fucking Japanese shows with a tiny window on the side that is on some person's face while they laugh.

Is it supposed to let people know when they should laugh? Do they actually have recorded reactions as a form of entertainment?
>>
>>51709337
>along with fax machines - remember them? Even tech visionaries like Sony still use a fax.
Everyone in America still uses this
>>
>>51709337
>He thinks fax machines are out of date

getaloadofthisguy.gif

How's that job washing dishes working out for you?
>>
>>51711191
Because the show is about getting their opinions and reactions to the videos they show
>>
>>51709430
Fax is still heavily used here in the USA too. I work for a Fortune 50 company and any official paperwork I have to fill out has to be sent in fax. They don't accept emails. It blows my mind.
>>
>>51711121
>"We'll be right back after these messages."
>activate PIP
>minimize main show
>channel surf
>notice main show is back
>maximize main show, turn PIP off
>>
>>51709408
>>51709337
Yeah I don't get why fax machines always come up. Obviously sending all your documents via fax would be retarded, which is probably what they're getting at.
Fax machines are still somewhat useful for sending a quick copy of something that was filled out by hand, or when they only need one copy of a personal document.
>>
>>51711191
>Do they actually have recorded reactions as a form of entertainment?
what is a laugh track

most laugh tracks used today were recorded in the 50's
you are listening to dead people laugh
>>
>>51711338
>2015
>watching TV
>>
>>51711350
Lol no they fucking aren't you goon.
>>
>>51711121
For me it was to play Tekken and watch TV at the same time while waiting fr my turn in the online lobbies.
>>
>>51707054
pip isn't common because then you need to build multiple tuners.

Though with the power of MythTV on linux and my HDHomerun Prime networked tv tuner I have PiP.

Also unlike regular pip this doesn't waste any extra tuners because all my tuners always serve the entire house for any job needed.
>>
>>51711473
By waste tuners I mean I dont have a spare one on my TV only for Pip, and that tuner can be used for another TV.
>>
>>51711473
i planned to make a mythtv box with tuner sharing like that back when digital tv was new in my country, but by the time i could afford to do it, i wasn't really watching tv at all any more

i don't actually remember the last time i watched tv live, i have a combination of kodi+emby+sickrage+deluge that automatically downloads shows as they come out and neatly sorts them and grabs metadata and so on, all i need to do is add shows i want to watch, and watch them
>>
>>51711541
I actually don't either, but I wanted an HTPC and live with my parents, so I explained to my Dad that if he buys a computer and some mini computers for the other TV's then we can save like 240 dollars a year because of equipment fees, PLUS a computer on every TV.
>>
>>51711565
if i still lived with my parents i'd probably do something for my mum

she watches a shitload of tv, and uses /multiple/ VCRs to record shows with (both to overcome program count limitations, and also to record from multiple channels at the same time, remember that VCRs have their own internal tuner)

a mythtv box with 3 tuners and some easy way to burn recordings to dvd-r would be nice step up

i'm not in the same country anymore, and i'm not really sure if i could make it simple enough for her to use, so this probably won't happen

not to mention her vision isn't the greatest and she doesn't mind VHS quality
>>
Japs need PiP audience-reaction-videos because, if they didn't have them, they wouldn't know how they're supposed to react to the programming. It's like a laugh track taken to a whole new level!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_nScf0alik
>>
>>51711645
>and i'm not really sure if i could make it simple enough for her to use

If that is a concern, she definetly will find it to complicated. MythTV is that user friendly, I had to print out some reading material and guides for my family, and so far my normie Step-mom doesn't like it and some of the menus aren't that great.

I like using it a lot though and never any problems after I got it working.

>>51711716
I'm sure the only reason that we don't have the same thing is because nobody thought of it and introduced it right elsewhere. Also let's plays, and reaction videos come to mind.
>>
>>51709337
>large corporations and office buildings use old technology
OH WOW, it's not like this happens everywhere.
>BBC journalism
>>
>>51711348
it's mostly the legality thing
it's also why companies still send legal docs around on bikes, in nyc/chi
>>
>>51707054
Because its superior to jump cuts away from the action and to the retired eSports announcers and their reactions
>>
>>51711738
That's actually pretty informative.
>>
>>51709337
I work at a local K-Mart retail store in the United States.

We have ton's of CRT's everywhere. The monitor we have in the damage/return office is an amber monochrome one I shit you not. Though we also have randomly in certain rooms computers with Haswell i5's, yet at the same time we are paying to have one of the old MONOCHROME monitors fixed.

Our cash registers are thin clients made in 2000, crash constantly.
Last year in an electric room we had a pentium II from the pharmacy that was just decommissioned and in a cameraless room so I removed 56mb of ram, a graphics card, and the CPU, then left with them in my pockets.
>>
>>51711739
>If that is a concern, she definetly will find it to[o] complicated. MythTV is [not?] that user friendly
yea, she's been using vcrs likely since before i was born, and she never used the family computer when we got one in 2000 either
it would have to be easier than programming and managing tapes for 3 vcrs to convince her to use it, for sure, and she has decades of practice with that
>>
>>51711867
Your typos fixes were correct guy. Though while to you it would probably be much easier than the VCR shit, to her it probably wouldn't. Also the setup can be a bitch and a half, especially when you setup the 2nd tv, though it synced up with my file server easily and telling it to remove commercials is awesome.
>>
>>51711925
>telling it to remove commercials is awesome.
oh yea, that's the other reason she records everything, so she can fast-forward through ads

she was ahead of the curve when it comes to ad-blocking

it's been so long since i watched live tv that i completely forgot about unskippable ads
>>
>>51707147
Nice delusion weaboo
>>
>>51711990
Yea, now you don't even have to push a button. I have 9tbs of NAS space for my MythTV backend, not much to record for me though lol. It is full of episodes of family feud next to about 4tb of anime/king of the hill
>>
>>51711990
>>51711925
man, i'm just thinking how much more accessible this would have been if we had shit like $5 raspberry pi computers 10 years ago, if that were the case i totally would have done something like this

the cost of setting up multiple machines powerful to handle real time video encoding and the storage space for them was way higher than it is now
>>
>>51712052
why would you watch family feud, let alone watch en entire season of it
>>
>>51712085
I don't, the people using the tuners do.

Though my current plan is to buy more tuners and setup a long range wifi network to stream cable with the ability to control my remote tuners to my friends.
>>
because they need to be shown how to react to things so they can conform to their society
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.