[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is elemenetary OS good? I want to switch to linux and want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: Elementary-OS.jpg (125 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Elementary-OS.jpg
125 KB, 1440x900
Is elemenetary OS good? I want to switch to linux and want to know if anyone here uses it.
>>
>>51705521
That's silly. No one uses Linux here.
>>
i use ubuntu, but i think eleentary is just as good
>>
it just looks good, nothing more tbH
>>
>>51705781

this
>>
File: purple_man_203_203x152.jpg (9 KB, 203x152) Image search: [Google]
purple_man_203_203x152.jpg
9 KB, 203x152
xubuntu masterrace
>>
>>51705521
Linux Mint is quite good in my opinion.
>>
>>51705813
Alright, is there a medium between functionality and appearance?
>>
>>51706686
You're looking for Linux Mint
>>
>>51705521
If you're already using osx then stick with it

Elementary of its a poor man's osx
>>
>>51707264
I'm using windows 10
>>
>>51707277
Then yeah, go ahead
>>
>>51705781
this
It's pretty, but my experience with it was subpar. If you're really into "pretty Linux," then go for it.
>>51705854
this
>>51706810
this
>>51707277
Please, for all of us, uninstall that right now.
>>
>>51706686
Any distro that ships the latest KDE Plasma 5 release will be both aesthetically pleasing and highly functional.
>>
>>51705521
My recluse neighbour seems to be using it for months now. So I guess it's ok.
>>
>>51707305
I don't like KDE because it tries to be Windows but feels much less polished, and you don't get the advantages that real Windows offers. GNOME shell is better, but attains polish by removing features. Elementary looks nice but installing a custom theme makes it feel much less polished - the Paper theme is good, but it moves the close button to the right on GTKHeaderBar applications. Maybe I should look into editing the theme. Also elementary installed a broken version of grub so I had to manually boot Linux and fix it.

I find myself just booting Windows since I can't live without Photoshop integrated into the OS.
>>
>>51705521
Go full arch mode, it's easy
>>
>>51707447
What are the advantages of real Windows? Specific applications? I'm really happy with the KDE software suite and it feels cohesive and stable to me, more so to me than any GTK based DE anyways. Different strokes, I guess.
>>
>>51705630
Be gone harlot!

>>51705521
OP, if you want it to go smooth try Debian or Linux Mint. If you want the full deal, try Arch, or of course, the zenith - install Gentoo.
>>
>>51705521
use mint
>>
>>51705521
try to ask in /flt/
>>
File: Install_Gentoo_for_Me.gif (3 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Install_Gentoo_for_Me.gif
3 MB, 512x384
install gentoo
>>
>>51707447
POLISHPOLISHPOLISH

also install gentoo
>>
>>51707585
>Debian
>manually installing non-free drivers
>outdated as fuck repositories
>no user-ran repositories unless you just fuck your shit up and use Ubuntu PPAs
>smooth

It's a decent learning experience for sure but I wouldn't call it anything close to smooth
>>
>>51707732
Yes. Nonfree drivers should be manually installed. Most of the time they're not needed. And yes, nouveau is better than nvidia's binary cr@p now.

> Ubuntu PPAs on Debian
That's so five years ago.
>>
>>51707765
>And yes, nouveau is better than nvidia's binary cr@p now.

In what ways? Because this reads as objectively incorrect to me.
>>
Use Ubuntu Gnome, the Amazon botnet only takes 2 commands to remove anyway
>>
>>51707514

meme

>>51705521

I like Lubuntu myself.

Lubuntu runs great even on toasters, so I can get the same snappy experience on my atom netbooks as my i5 machines and don't have to re-learn anything. I don't mind no transparency etc and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see only ~98 mb RAM used after a cold boot.

Xubuntu seems to make more tradeoffs for aesthetics over speed, but if you've got a recent machine it should be no problem.

Never used Mint myself but I see it getting recommended for noobs switching from windows all the time. So much so that there's the "mint is for grannys" meme but this is a good thing if you're a noob.

I don't know much about Elementary OS other than that I see it mentioned for aesthetics. Just googled it and it's based on Debian/Ubuntu just like the other three I mentioned. Wikipedia suggests it's designed so the user shouldn't have to use a terminal for the most part. (Protip: no matter what they say, you still end up using it if you need to install/use somebody's github script/ custom graphics card drivers anyways)

It's really just going to come down to what you want your interface/desktop to look like and default applications. They all take .debs and use the debian/ubuntu repos so you can install the same programs on each.

Pic related is my desktop on Lubuntu on 14.04 LTS after about ~10 minutes of ricing (no terminal required)
>>
>>51707541
Mostly proprietary software that has no equivalent on GNU/Linux. For me it is basically the Adobe CS. I have installed it via Wine, but I can't copy an image in the browser and paste it in Photoshop. Opening images from the file manager is a huge hassle, compared to Windows where double clicking opens it in the image viewer, and right click -> edit opens in Photoshop.

>>51707653
What can I say, I'm a sucker for software that has been polished and works more or less perfectly and is well integrated. With Linux you find a lot of hacky unpolished software outside the terminal.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.