[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xpoint
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: xpoint_2015-08-18-image-10.jpg (314 KB, 800x638) Image search: [Google]
xpoint_2015-08-18-image-10.jpg
314 KB, 800x638
Slowpoke here, holy fucking shit. It's way denser than DRAM, it's almost as fast as DRAM, and it's non volatile.
They're going to be making dims which means we'll be getting much more system memory at cheaper prices, but the thing that's incredible is that they're going to be releasing SSDs next year that BTFO their fastest enterprise SSD today. What the actual fuck. How expensive will this be? Can we expect a 1TB SSD to be more than $5000?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9470/intel-and-micron-announce-3d-xpoint-nonvolatile-memory-technology-1000x-higher-performance-endurance-than-nand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0JUCjd_t_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsioS35D-HY
>>
>THEY FELL FOR THE NAND SSD MEME
>>
As per your link
>It's supposed to complement both and provide a technology that sits in between the two by filling the latency and cost gap exists between DRAM and NAND.
But who knows if it'll really go like that.

>>51701320
I probably won't have a compatibly motherboard for a while, so regular SSDs are nice to have in the meantime.
>>
>>51701320
I can feel the threads already.
>>
File: 004941_10_fig1.jpg (130 KB, 1050x563) Image search: [Google]
004941_10_fig1.jpg
130 KB, 1050x563
>>51701196
Yeah sure. I remember when using holographic crystals was supposed to be the future. Terrabytes of data on the size of a DVD, oh and it could be read at over 1 GB/s, in parallel.

I'll wait until they actually have more than a proof of concept before I start sounding the alarm.
>>
>>51701466
Add graphene there while you're at it. Miracle allotrope fucking where?
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
>>51701466
>>51701490
While you have a good point, these technologies were showcased by academia, not companies. Company showcased tech is very likely to be real and coming- but likely to be either way too expensive for consumer space or just really disappointing.
>>
File: K_Dyke.png (255 KB, 493x461) Image search: [Google]
K_Dyke.png
255 KB, 493x461
>mfw using nand meme SSD as a system disk for many years already
>mfw people unironically wait the better technology for all these years
>mfw I encounter these slow as shit PCs with 7200rpm HDDs
>>
What is this buzzword bombardment?
Did they finally make commercial crossbar memristor/resistive switching based memory?
>>
File: buzz-word-bingo1.jpg (25 KB, 460x190) Image search: [Google]
buzz-word-bingo1.jpg
25 KB, 460x190
>>51703191
BIG DATA
THE INTERNET OF THINGS
CLOUD SERVICES
DEEP WEB
DATAFICATION
WEB SERVICES
SCALABILITY
>>
File: tfw_xpoint.jpg (131 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tfw_xpoint.jpg
131 KB, 1920x1080
This is the face of a man basking in the afterglow of xpoint.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.