[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mozilla, you have gone one step too far!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 7
File: notforgiven.jpg (120 KB, 625x770) Image search: [Google]
notforgiven.jpg
120 KB, 625x770
Really.... Mozilla has done so much garbage lately since Australis, but this... is a class of it's own, this is on border crossing too far!

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/05/mozilla-has-a-revenue-share-agreement-with-pocket/

D
R
O
P
P
E
D R O P P E D
>>
Enjoy your not Firefox.
>>
C M O N K E Y
M
O
N
K
E
Y
>>
>>51699418
Vivaldi and chrome are getting more interesting every fucking day. Just wish I wouldn't have to port all of my addons (I write my own) in order to move comfily.
>>
>>51699636
With Vivaldi i agree. But why Chrome? This is a piece of non customizable trash! And Vivaldi Botnet is not infecting privacy in such a big style like Google Botnet.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3vj5uh/a_few_things_ive_been_wanting_to_say/
>>
>>51699636
if chrome somehow gets tree style tabs id drop firefox in a heartbeat. literally the only reason why i still use firefox
>>
>>51699418
>Chad Weiner, Mozilla's director of project management told PC World in an email back then that "there [was] no monetary benefit to Mozilla from the integration" and that Pocket "didn't pay for placement in the browser".
>>
>>51699979
heh wiener
>>
>>51699939
That OP would get only one thing from me - a fork right in the head. Stupid minimalist cock sucker! That is the reason why all features have to go, because that stupid fucking normies can not accept other features inside than their own!

If i would find out who this guy is, i would beat him to the ground and send him flying dozens of times around the earth!
>>
>>51699939
And no matter how you turn it, a betrayal of power users is still a betrayal, no matter in how sugar coated words you are packing it.
>>
>>51699939
>reddit

Why is this suddenly OK now? Fuck off.
>>
>>51699418
They need money. What is so surprising about this?
>>
Not that I am not concerned with the direction mozilla is taking, but all that bullshit about customizability is really dumb. You have full control of your UI with userChrome.css. Fuck pocket and hello, though.
>>
Just switch to pale moon.
>>
>>51700929
You fag really do not understand! In Servo there is no userchrome.CSS anymore, which means you can customize shit.

And show me how to create an add-on or status bar with CSS, show me how i can combine tabs and url field with CSS!

You can't so get lost!
>>
>>51700742
this
>>
>>51701151
That reddit post is made by some simple fag who is happy that all features are deleted. That guys should have no saying in technology, because those guys are to be blamed that we advanced guys always lose everything!

That's no human, that is fucking Gollum!
>>
>>51699956
same. though firefox will drop support for it too. everything is going to shit
>>
>>51700945
pale moon a fucking shit
>>
>>51701258
Better than Chrome UI clone Firefox!
>>
>>51700742
>>51701151
Nothing wrong with reddit. I mean, yeah, reddit sucks and the blatant censorship and corruption of the admins and mods is disgusting, but some of the subreddits are actually highly valuable for their niches. You can either take advantage of a decent resource or you can push it away like a child refusing to eat their vegetables.

Are we not allowed to post any external links here? Is that the idea? Or just reddit because you personally don't like it? Is that really your opinion, or did you fall for the meme?
>>
>>51699418

I'm still waiting for a decent Firefox fork.
>>
>>51699939
>toxic
>this is supposed to be a friendly space

What a disgusting post fuck off.
>>
>>51701305
/r/firefox is pretty much moderated by Mozilla. A few of the mods are Mozilla employees I believe and they're very generous with bans. They'll ban after like three negative comments toward Mozilla and/or Firefox. They're basically faggots.
>>
File: vivakdiu.png (37 KB, 211x948) Image search: [Google]
vivakdiu.png
37 KB, 211x948
>>51699956
>>51701227
vivaldi has not tree style, but at least sidebar tabs

however vivaldi feels weird for some reason
>>
>>51701400
Yeah, but it's still a good resource... to see how full of shit Mozilla is.
>>
>>51701400
Mozilla is just a bunch of lame anti customization fascist Nazis! Would not surprise me if all those bastards are German origin.

Mozilla, have you payed your war debts already? If not, STFU!
>>
>>51701403
What do you expect? There may be tons of features already, but Vivaldi is not feature complete so far, and things are partly only in draft status.

Once the final is released, things will get more polished, faster, will have only short delay times .

You know, you just have to register in the Vivaldi board and spam it with feature suggestions. If it can be created with CSS and JavaScript and if it does not have several month long implementation times, it will be done by those guys :)
>>
>>51701598
i just want tree style tabs like in firefox. doesn't seem like such big changes to what is already there. ill certainly visit the boards
>>
>>51699939
>redddit
fuck off please
>>
>>51701667
https://vivaldi.com/bugreport - Here too. Send them your feature ideas, that way they have to read them for sure.

Also, spam them with some suggestions to fix crashes on Facebook or Twitter or Google groups.

The more people report those breakages, the more likely it will get fixed very soon.

https://vivaldi.com/bugreport

Good luck :)
>>
Kek edge just got opensourced. RIP firefox/chromw/vivaldi
>>
>>51701857
What are you talking for a garbage? Edge Opensourced? What for a shit *LOL*
>>
So what is the best Firefox alternative? At present I'm on Palemoon, but I'm concerned about it being basically an older version of Firefox, is it up-to-date on security and such? That and max 720p video is kind of a bitch.

Can someone suggest a browser and give actual reasons beyond "palemoon a shit"?
>>
>>51701857
>>51701903
Only the js-engine part
>>
>>51701817
thank

>>51701857
does it have extensions
>>
>>51701909
Let's say it that way. The browsers with customization in the future will not have Gecko as engine, they all will be Blink based.

You can choose between Qupzilla, Otter Browser, Qutebrowser or Vivaldi as there was also the source released on their page lately as it seems.
>>
>>51701508
Spotted the Jew
>>
>>51701909
Some more suggestions, if you do not care for Open Source you could also use Slimjet or Centbrowser.

Also, Yandex Browser offers something very interesting. Or more Open Source stuff like Midori.
>>
File: kp.jpg (5 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
kp.jpg
5 KB, 318x159
>>51699636
>I write all my own add-ons
Jesus Christ anon, do you also churn your own butter and cook your own meth?
>>
>>51702178
Well, cooking your own meth could save you from the police.. if you are a clever one :P
>>
>>51702178

>Not cooking your own meth

Anon how can put something in your body that is closed source. You are asking to die of poison.
>>
>>51701982
I think I'll do Vivaldi. Is it good?
>>
>>51699418
What other browser is supported by uBlock origin? I want to switch right away.
>>
I heard someone mention using chromium and pointing it to your own personal server instead of the botnet. Is that a thing? Cause please be a thing firefox got a shit patch a month and a half ago and it runs slow a hell now. Especially on shit like 4chan catalog or large threads.
>>
>>51702396
I like it. They have posted some source on their homepage, what we need now are some clever guys which find out if it is Botnet free for real or if the source released is just fake.

But yeah, i have customized it to look similar to my old Firefox 24 experience. Just make sure you install Otter Browser too. If Vivaldi turns out as a fake in the end, you have a worthy replacement to fall back. Same do i.
>>
>>51702415
Everything Chromium based.
>>
What's a good open-source browser that isn't botnet?
>>
>>51702466
Manual update of Chromium on Windows is a pain.
>>
>>51702499

>widows

You might as well just install chrome. Log in as well its over for you.
>>
>>51702445
>what we need now are some clever guys which find out if it is Botnet free for real or if the source released is just fake
Well if you just want to know if the source code is real you can just compile yourself. It shouldn't be hard at all. I would wait for the code to mature and for it to be properly audited first before replacing firefox. Also muh extentions.
>>
>>51702499
Who with a sane mind would install Chromium on Windows, there it is broken like fuck as there is no real stable version. I tried for a month and gone back to Firefox 22 afterwards.

Chromium based is better, for example Slimjet, Vivaldi or Cent Browser, there you have a more stable product, of course Google gives not away tier one code to these guys, but tier 2 is still better than Chrome from Google as that is heavy fucking Botnet!
>>
>>51702557
Believe it or not, her in /g/ are also posting people who do not understand the tiniest bit of tech stuff. I am one of those. So, you could also talk to me in Chinese and i would understand shit ;)
>>
>>51701258
GShilling
>>
File: optiPNG.png (605 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
optiPNG.png
605 KB, 1920x1080
>>51701735
>png
fuck off please
>>
>>51702178
Maybe if someone else wrote that shit first I would've have needed to do it, but since I wanted certain features and nobody had made addons for them yet, I made them myself.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/Marnes/
>>
File: dam.jpg (77 KB, 511x606) Image search: [Google]
dam.jpg
77 KB, 511x606
>>51702944
A lot of those actually look pretty handy desu senpai
>>
>>51700742
>>51701735
Kill la kill yourselves, this is just for information gathering.
>>
Just send Mozilla your message towards http://input.mozilla.org or here about the feature removals https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/planning-the-future-of-complete-themes/5306/44

Just let them know and make yourself heard. Talking is of no use. But if people drop Firefox, Mozilla will feel it the hard way.
>>
>still using firefox or any firefox based browser since eich was fired and smeared
>>
>>51703910
There still isn't a decent alternative =*(
>>
>>51703924
There is. Vivaldi, Slimjet, Otter Browser, Qupzilla, Pale Moon, Midori, Qutebrowser, Yandex Browser
>>
>>51703924
Sure there is always a learning curve but everything which is not Google Chrome, Apple or Mozilla or Opera values your freedom more and is not selling your data, lying towards you, removing your features or implementing shit you do not want at all!

There are even tons of more browsers out there, so why not taking some risk and experiment with a bunch? Otherwise you still will complain and use Firefox when it is even more featureless soon.
>>
>>51703924

i switched from ff to chromium and never looked back, firefox is complete trash performance wise
>>
>>51699418
Palemmon

>>51699839
Sadly Vivaldi is closed source which makes the possibility of it turning into the new Opera too much of a risk for me to take

>>51699939
Pocket could/should come as a pre-installed addon, no reason whatsoever to make it "part" of the browser
Based on looks alone i'd definitely pick IE, yet i don't use IE. Why you ask? Because currently i can make Firefox look better than IE and make it have more features than IE with the new extension system such thing is probably not gonna be possible.

>>51700808
Their mentality used to be: privacy, customization and features above anyone interests. Their mentality sadly has changed to the point where privacy is a joke (you can be identified solely by the extensions you have installed), new extension system will be the same as chrome, the UI customization features are gonna be largely dropped making it almost identical to what chrome allows and they keep removing features people use because they don't want to maintain them

>>51700929
They're gonna drop support for that

>>51701258
Why do you think that?

>>51701324
Palemoon, waterfox, iceweasel. There are some more

>>51701857
What?

>>51703749
They literally don't care

>>51703954
I'll take a look on these browsers
>>
>>51704063
Why using a browser which can not be customized at all? Otter Browser will get soon Chromium and it can be customized. Vivaldi can be customized and it is Chromium too, same Slimjet or Centbrowser!
>>
>>51704076
Take a look to http://www.vivaldi.com/source

Seems to be Open Source now!
>>
>>51704108
will definitely give it another try then
>>
>>51699418
>this is on border crossing too far!
it crossed over before this
just dump it already
>>
>>51704126
You should, it almost works the same like Firefox 22. The only thing which is still missing is moving all buttons in an easy way to whatever place you want, something like that is upcoming said the boss of Vivaldi in the blog.

But you can change stuff location already over custom.css - the 1:1 equivalent of Firefox userchrome.css - Same as powerful!

All magic is hidden in Vivaldi's options! I promise you will love it! Has also a nice dark theme optionally.
>>
just use chrome retards
>>
>>51704154
Haha.. From the tons of people who complain only a minority will drop Firefox. Which is sad, that way Mozilla still keeps much of it's users. If people really would drop it after saying, the market share would be much lower than it is.
>>
>>51704210
>using anything made by Google
>>
>>51703954
>>51704006
I appreciate the suggestions, but I have given them all a try. Some are actually getting nice, but I haven't found one that I like full-time. Vivaldi is getting closer, but I don't think I can commit 100 yet.

I need decent adblock and privacy extensions. Most of the other FF extensions I can get away w/o, and just go back to using dedicated programs.
>>
>>51704210
Botnet Shill detected! No one wants a non customizable browser which features design only!

Design is nothing, features are everything! Minimalism and simplicity is nothing, choice is everything!
>>
>>51704229
You let go of this mentality one day when you realize that Chrome it's by far the superior browser. Keep living in a bubble
>>
>>51704232
So you stay with a wanna be Chrome clone which gets even worse and worse just because you are addicted to it? How stupid is that! Guys like you are the reason the bad guys are winning again and again! Prick!
>>
>>51704254
How is it superior?

>inb4 synthetic benchmarks where the difference to firefox is minimal
>>
>>51704257
Why would anyone switch to a browser that has only a small fraction of the customization available to firefox.
>>
>>51704254
Google is the reason why Mozilla drops all features, why Opera has dropped all features. Fuck you minimalism, simplicity and anti customization and user choice shill!

Fuck you and go to hell, you shilling insect!
>>
>>51704108
>>51704126
Wikipedia says it's "proprietary freeware with open source components".

Friendly reminder that public access to source code is necessary but not sufficient for a project to be considered either "open source" or "free software".
>>
>>51704276
Moron! Vivaldi has almost everything of Firefox customization features from the past, as they want to recreate Opera old in Blink.

Opera had even more features than Firefox, so Vivaldi is not only equal right now with Firefox old, it will even be more feature rich as soon as Versions 1 and 2 are hitting!

Status bar, side tabs, tabs in sidebar, theming abilities over CSS, you can rewrite the whole UI with CSS, you can move bars around, you can have only icons in favorite bar and more is upcoming
>>
>>51704076
>i'd definitely pick IE

shit opinions detected
>>
>>51704297
http://www.vivaldi.com/source

Stupid fucktard!
>>
once again, this is clearly a concerted (and probably well paid) campaign against mozilla.

also, do you really think that using chrome or blink derivatives is a good option? google could start charging for it and you'd be left with nothing.
BTW, anyone remembers this?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909
http://thestack.com/google-audio-debian-binary-hotword-190615
this is FAR WORSE than anything mozilla has done.

sage goes in all fields

>>51700742
>>51701151
>muh sekrit klub
>stop disliking what I don't like!!
>>
>>51704323
>>51704339
Your exclamations aren't helping your cause
>>
>>51704338
Out of the ones mentioned and current firefox its the one the UI pleases me the most and yet i don't use it
>>
>>51704276
Oh i forgot, page tiling, tab stacking and much more. You need no add-on for it. And once Mozilla drops XUL add-ons are gone and Webextensions are only around.

Also Servo takes away userchrome.css - That means you can not rewrite Firefox after that as you want. But Vivaldi can be rewritten, not only then, also now!
>>
Vivaldi doesn't have all the extensions I need. Google extension store is pretty limited in privacy extensions
>>
>>51704357
Shut the fuck up you worthless asshole whore bitch, you should be shot to death and your wife or kids put under Islamist veil you stupid bigot fucktard!

FUCK YOU!!!!!
>>
>>51704108
>>51704126
>>51704339
how are you this gullible??
>>
>>51704297
blink is actually free software, so they are forced to open-source it, at least partially.

REMINDER: Blink came from WebKit, which came from KHTML, which was made by the KDE project,
>>
>>51704381
Idiot, a browser is no toy!
>>
>>51704403
eh?
>>
>>51704399
>shilling proprietary software this hard
get a grip
>>
>>51704420
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivaldi_(web_browser)

License: Proprietary freeware with open-source components
>>
>>51704421
Fucking Islamist should rape you you worthless infidel scum, American whore!
>>
2016 IS CONFIRMED TO BE THE YEAR OF PALE MOON! SOMEONE SCREENCAP THIS POST!
>>
>>51704419
Exactly. That's why I want my extensions. Vivaldi doesn't do what I want out of the box
>>
>>51704421
Every single German Nazi is more of worth than you American cock suckers! Fuck your genetically manipulated food and TTIP stuff!

We Europeans will never be your slaves you lobby assholes! Nuclear power and weapon fanatics! RIAA is a stupid fucktard asshole and America is a fucking asshole country!
>>
>>51704447
You are a stupid fag. If you want to play buy a game, but do not complain about your fucktard extensions nobody cares! Son of a bitch, brainless motherfucker!
>>
>>51704435
yeah I've seen that now, i guess vivaldi is still not an option for me, last thing i want is another Opera
>>
>>51704339
Friendly re-reminder that public access to source code is necessary but not sufficient for a project to be considered either "open source" or "free software".
>>
>>51704437
>>51704457
I think you misunderstood me, I said "get a grip", not "continue crying like a child"
>>
>>51704421
I give you soon a grip and i put a giant plastic cock right in your face so that you swallow yourself into suicide cunt!

Shill your own ass you shilling shill! Fuck off and die!
>>
>>51704476
>>51704477
Someone in the other Moz-hate thread just posted a pic of the readme file in the code. Says BSD Style Licnse. Looking it up now
>>
>>51704488
Hope that some Islamist scum stands at some point in front of you and takes out the ones who you love with a bomb!

Can also be a Russian crime guy who is raping them or some Communist from North Korea who is shitting right in front of your fucktard face! Sumhuman! Insect! Worthless SJD gay whore! Transvestite asshole, Maricon Pendejo!
>>
>>51704523
i would check it myself but i got errors decompressing the tarball the 2 times i downloaded it
>>
>>51704643
Ran in to issues too. It worked eventually
>>
Oh my what a shame that this nice thread has become a playfield for the Open Source assholes who love proprietary DRM!

Take a look what Open Source brought you! A Chrome clone Firefox, while Vivaldi is a proud proprietary browser which never will betray it's users because the maker will not allow anyone to outsell them!

Has Mozilla been able to do the same?
>>
>>51705288
Are there dev tools?
>>
>>51705288
It is basically Chromium. Does that answer your question?
>>
>>51704804
wut
>>
>>51705494
if that means they didn't touch them it does
if it means they touched them it doesn't
>>
>>51704804
>>51705498
dont turn this into the other thread
>>
I've got palemoon, qupzilla, and otter-browser installed.

I'm only interested in open-source, free software.

Qupzilla and Otter are lacking in configuration options and plugins (no noscript or https everywhere = into the trash it goes).

I like palemoon, my only issue is the 720p video thing (it's the max quality because apparently palemoon doesn't and never will support MSE.)

Is there a way to get extensions/addons for Qupzilla or Otter? They both seem like pretty nice browsers.

Is there another open-source free browser to try out?
>>
>>51706069
That 'tard has been in both all day
>>
>>51706086
qutebrowser
>>
>>51706086
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:Ask/-5B-5BInternet-2Dapplication::web-2Dbrowser-0A-5D-5D/-3FFull-20description%3DDescription/-3FHomepage-20URL%3DHomepage/-3FLicense/-3FIs-20GNU-23-5B-5BFile:Heckert_gnu.small.png-7C20px-5D-5D,%3DGNU-3F/format%3Dtemplate/limit%3D10/link%3Dnone/template%3DGetlist-2Drow/introtemplate%3DGetlist-2Dintro/outrotemplate%3DGetlist-2Doutro/offset%3D9

Rooting through the FSF's endorsed browsers. Anyone with more knowledge than me care to point out the good ones? (I will be reading it myself, don't think I'm just shoving this off on you guys and waiting for results).
>>
>>51699418
>My Australis
>>
Just installed Icecat. I dig the extensions available, I dig the insistence on free software, I dig the integrated adblocker...

Not digging the only being able to play 360p video. I'm rooting through about:config now. Anyone use icecat and know how to watch hq video? I use html5 video everywhere; I don't even have flash installed on my computer.

Still always open to browser suggestsions.
>>
>>51706486
Icecat is based on ESR FF, so it's a bit dated in some areas. I use both Iceweasel 42.0 and qutebrowser, would recommend.
>>
>>51706543
Isn't iceweasel just a slightly modified version of Firefox for debian systems? And Wikipedia says that IceCat was "formerly known as IceWeasel".

Poking around qutebrowser's github, seems a bit complicated to install, but I'll try it out.
>>
>>51702944
these look useful
>>
>>51704773
MATE MATE MATE MATE
>>
>>51706086
>my only issue is the 720p video thing
youtube-dl and mpv
>>
>>51707337
how can you pipe the output into vlc instead of mpv?
>>
>>51707448
Does vlc even support youtube-dl?
>>
>>51703272
>>51707009
Thanks, and yeah no shit that's why I made them :^)
>>
>>51702178
I didn't say I use only addons I make myself. I meant that I'd have to port all the addons I made and that I use all of them.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.