[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is windows phone so hated around here and what is your opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: 1.jpg (433 KB, 2983x1675) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
433 KB, 2983x1675
why is windows phone so hated around here and what is your opinion on Lumia phones?

please reply only if you actually have any experience with these phones. (and other OS')
>>
Because windows phone is terrible. Win Mo 6 had more features. Windows phones have consistently missing standard features, MS endlessly promises to deliver them, plus new features and updates for phones, but fails to deliver, again and again. WP7 early adopters were fucked by MS when their phones couldn't get WP8, and same with WP10. The tiling interface is awful as well, the OS is locked down like iOS, and there isn't a single redeeming factor to these huge drawbacks, or anything that makes WP stand out against open source and free Android.
>>
>>51699178
The only thing windows phones ever had was a big camera.

Otherwise, it's a no feature phone, not terribly cheap, why bother?

We want our personal computers to have lots of choice, software, and optimally be open to any sort of modification and investigation. And sold by not a monopoly but many vendors, because this gives you better prices and more choice.
>>
>>51699178
Insecurity Android users
>>
They are good budged phones.

For people who don't need much more than a web browser, SMS, Phone calls, mails and pleb shit to keep in touch with their friends (Whatsapp and similar), they're quite good.

Really, the lack of apps are the only thing holding them back. For whatever reason, they decided to kill off Project Astoria, which was in a rather mature state and allowed installing Android apps on Windows phone natively.

However, Islandwood or whatever the windows bridges for IOS is called is coming with Windows 10, and it's going to allow devs to recompile their Objective-C IOS applications for Windows phone. That might help.
Seeing how the newest update for VS 2015 also brought syntax highlighting and auto completion for Swift, it might be possible that even newer applications can be ported with ease soon.

I just hope it won't look like ass. I like the native look of WP apps.
>>
>>51699298
Entry WP starts at as low as 9,99 USD no contract
>>
>>51699340
Which phone?
>>
>>51699334
>For whatever reason, they decided to kill off Project Astoria
that's not even true
see https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges/android
>>
>>51699391
Lumia 530
>>
>>51699340
Is that always available? New phone models? If so, we can add preferential treatment for US citizens to the list.

Of course there were some ~$10 equivalent promotions for provider-locked Android prepaids and stuff like that before, but it was almost always providers getting rid of leftover stock of shit phones.

That said, I could understand why you'd get a phone for $10, but then that still doesn't make a Windows mobile phone better than an Android phone for $10 would be.
>>
>>51699410
$90 - 250 in this place in Europe. The case is $10, if you want a different color :^)
>>
>>51699178

Insufferable Micro$hills. That being said Windows Phone was DOA
>>
>>51699334
>Really, the lack of apps are the only thing holding them back.

What an idiotic statement. "Apps" these days are just a wrapper for a mobile webpage. 99.9% of apps are useless garbage or adware/malware. And the useful 0.1% are cross platform. Use android without gapps and you'll realize how much you don't need the playstore. Its only use is for shitty mobile games.
>>
>>51699460
Ballmer was just too late. If the fucking idiot hadn't gone into full "not invented here" mode and told himself that the iPhone was just a meme that would immediately die, he might have stood a chance.

Considering how terrible the early version of Android were, Microsoft could have dominated the market with their knowledge of OS design.
>>
>>51699455
Your fault for living in shitty europoor
>>
File: spoopy.jpg (35 KB, 745x544) Image search: [Google]
spoopy.jpg
35 KB, 745x544
>why is windows phone so hated around here
little support for apps. Very closed in and proprietary. Just like the desktop version of the OS its like the North Korea of operating systems

>what is your opinion on Lumia phones?
smoothest mobile OS I've ever used. Looks alright too. At least compared to the bad experiences with android before. The lack of apps (mainly a decent browser application that does not crash every 5 minutes, like IE does) is what caused me to switch back to android.
>>
>>51699493
But I'm completely entitled to dislike Microsoft for shafting us thus, I believe.

So fuck them. Also, maybe you don't want all your cheap phones to be shit anyways, like on the software side but also kinda on the hardware side.
>>
>>51699477
Heh... that's not even wrong, now that I think about it.
When service workers (with push notifications) and the Web APIs to access the Camera get implemented in other web browsers than Chrome, there will be no need for 99% of the current apps anymore. Especially the Cordova ones.

Most applications really don't need to advantages of native APIs. You don't need the native widgets and animation library to fill out a form to order a pizza.

Now I'm finally starting to see why /g/ calls apps a meme.
>>
>>51699528
>mainly a decent browser application that does not crash every 5 minutes, like IE does

Yeah, IE really is terrible. The performance, holy shit...
And it does actually crash. Especially on websites that use newer technologies, like Polymer.

I really hope Edge will be better.
>>
File: 1420135 - android mascots.png (254 KB, 800x734) Image search: [Google]
1420135 - android mascots.png
254 KB, 800x734
>>51699178
I heard a lot of good things about the windows phone, but the lack of support (from community and developers) is what repels most people.
Oh well, that's what I have seen but who knows.
>>
>>51699493
how the fuck is anyone's fault for living in a certain place you retard

windows phone is shit and chances are you're either dumb or poor if you have one
>>
I only use phone to contact my acquaintances, and get information quickly beside browsing and listening music. I don't use my phone for playing games, and using non-productive apps thus I think WP is great phone for this. The performance is great too, beside "resuming ..." animation. Try to use android, but it ran shit even though I tried my acquaintances' high-end phones.
Would move to iPhone, if I have money tho.
>>
What is the point of windows phone? The only reason people use desktop windows is because its the most popular and supported desktop OS. But windows phone isn't... If you don't care about accessing the play store or the itunes store, why would you run windows of all things over something like AOSP android, Ubuntu, or Firefox OS?

Windows phone has all the drawbacks of a niche OS AND all the drawbacks of a consumerized, for profit, OS made by a corporation famous for spying on its own users... Its literally the worse of both worlds. It fills no need, and no one wants it, it only exists because one of largest companies in the wold pours money into it despite its repeated complete marketing failures.
>>
>>51699178
I've had a lumia 620 for ages now
It's pretty nice, but honestly it's pretty much a dumbphone for me, albeit one with a nice camera and browser. If it didn't have the touchscreen and had a keypad instead so the battery lasted longer it'd actually be better.
>>
My dad got one for work

He fucking hates it and wishes he had an android or iphone
>>
>>51699178
Just purchased a Lumia 640:
>pros
If minimalist is your thing, WP is the way to go. Very simple interface, the learning curve for such an interface isn't very large at all either. Fair selection of apps, alternatives to the most popular apps on Android/iOS. Camera is nice, nothing extravagant. Most Lumia devices come with a removable battery, and expandable storage, and they're cheap seeing as you do not need top of the line hardware to run the OS efficiently.
>cons
The app ecosystem is not that great, the lack of support/development of apps is the true downfall of WP and M$ has acknowledged this, hence the bridges being established between Android/iOS. OS is locked down and hinders your "freedumbs", though I'd rather have a locked down device with more security than a device that can be tampered or rooted for exploits and poses higher security risks (Android).
That's about it OP. I'm quite content with WP so far, installed an insider preview and its very nice. Edge us 100x better than IE on 8.1 I'll say for sure.
>>
I love Nokia hardware, but fuck them for being so retarded and being bought by Microsoft. Windows Phone is shit and will forever be grasping at less than 5% of the market share.
>>
I had a lumia 635 for about a year and a half and I absolutely loved it. I had to switch it out for an android because of my job but I can not recommend windows phone enough. It's definitely a good option for those that are looking for solid cheap smart phones that have a simple well functioning OS
>>
Pros:

Cheap
Good build quality
Fast OS
Removable Battery and MicroSd support

Cons:

Lack of apps.
Not much customization.
>>
they are good dumbphones
with Android 2 feature set
>>
>>51699178
It's literally the OSX of phones.
Zero software.
>>
I picked up a lumia 640 no contract on cyber monday for $30 and it's amazing for the price
I'm seriously surprised how smooth it is and the display and camera aren't complete shit like I was expecting
>>
>>51700789

got one as well

unlocked it for free
>>
If I could get Android wear or even Pebble support on W10, Snapchat (or at least let Rudy Huyn do his thing) and google hangouts support then if switch over in a heartbeat.

I've used W8 and 8.1 and I like it a lot. Unfortunately the things I mentioned above are deal breakers for me.
>>
Best GPS software I've used desu, but terrible at everything else.

WP:
HERE Maps with full offline maps, POIs, and spoken street names.

Android:
Google maps is good, until you drive through an area with no data and it stops telling you street names. "Turn left in 500 meters." Right, because I'm a robot and can so easily fucking tell how much distance I'm driving. Offline map downloads expire in 30 days, and those don't offer street names either. 2/3 the other GPS software say they support street names, but then they're completely mute and don't even work.

Ironically HERE maps is still the best android GPS app, but the version on android doesn't have street names.

iOS:
Drive off a freeway and turn left into a lake. You've arrived at Home Depot.
>>
>>51700855
ironically Microsoft is going to drop here maps in W10, very likely because they're faggots and deserve to fail.
>>
File: linux crybabies.png (193 KB, 720x723) Image search: [Google]
linux crybabies.png
193 KB, 720x723
>>51699178
Linux crybabies go out of their way to whine about everything, especially anything made by Microsoft.
>>
>browser hangs randomly
>youtube doesn't allow you to read comments n shit, only plays the video. if you try to exit the video, it replays the video, and
>[spoiler]no snapchat or tinder[/spoiler]
>>
WP has easily the smoothest and most intuitive UI of any phone on the market. The media player works better on my car audio system than iPhone or Android, and its builtin keyboard is quite nice.

However, app support for it is pretty shit. That might change with windows mobile 10.
>>
>>51701729
>going to
They already did. It's integrated with the default map app.
Source: I own a 950XL
>>
File: wp_ss_20151205_0001.png (145 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20151205_0001.png
145 KB, 2560x1440
>>51703149
Pic related
>>
>>51703149
They actually use the exact same map data.
I have an ancient WP on W10 tech preview with both apps, and use it just for HERE maps. I downloaded the maps for my state in HERE maps, went to the Maps app, and the offline maps data was already there.
>>
Have Lumia 635 for $20, no contract.

Been using for about 2 months. Great phone. Does everything I need including playing podcasts, web, VPN, etc. Due to smaller screen, it has a great battery life. One charge lasts like 3 days even with heavy web browsing.

Has a shitty camera but I don't care because I'm not a facebook/snapchat fag like most of /g/.

When I'll get tired of it, I'll just throw it away and buy something Nexus 6 equivalent but so far so good.
>>
File: Nokia_Lumia_1020_with_PD-95G.jpg (418 KB, 1279x718) Image search: [Google]
Nokia_Lumia_1020_with_PD-95G.jpg
418 KB, 1279x718
>>51699178
If the Lumia 1020 had an Android OS, I would still have been using it. No phone camera has ever come close to what the 1020 is capable to do. Especially the micros, you can really not tell the difference between it and a dslr
>>
>>51705155
I thought the G4 was on the same level of the 1020 barring the lack of xenon flash.
>>
>>51699178
>>51699178
Because it's shit. It's shit. Poo in the loo Parjeet
>>
>>51700518
Are you retarded mate? There's plenty of things wrong with windows phones but customization is one thing they do well. You can organize the entire os ecosystem more than android or ios. You have more phones to choose from than IOS. They come in the most variety of colors on the market.
>>
I had one for a while. Good phone, but well underdeveloped. No one made apps for it (good apps at least) and the few good ones got taken down. i.e. snapchat and some game emulators.

If it got some more support, it would be great phone. It has built in Microsoft Office integration, some good nokia photo apps, the new ones literally run Windows10 (a bit different, but same general code) and can act as a desktop if you have a few accessories.

I currently have an iPhone and about to upgrade to a Galaxy. From what I have seen from using all three types of phones is that it is currently the worst option out of the three. The hardware is average, yet the software is alright.
>>
>>51699178
It's a pile of shit. I personally can't wait to switch to Android. The UI is shit, the options are shit, the apps are shit, and PLUS it can't stream ANYTHING. So it should die overall.
>>
2 words... Too late. They did everything too late including the release of the new flagships, and windows 10 mobile is not even out yet? What a joke. At this point no one is interested anymore, even if they bring Google apps and snapchat... Why bother? I tried to own a wp devices 2 times first was htc hd7 right when it came out second was lumia 930. Sure the camera was great hands down..but i want a phone with a camera, not a camera that can make and recieve calls
>>
I've been using windows phones for a few years. I do like windows and had very high expectations for windows 10 and the 950 and 950 XL, but they missed the mark on every turn. Sure, the 950 and 950 XL might be some of the strongest phones on the market and certainly the most interesting in terms of hardware, but the OS is being developed by fucking morons. Everything is under supported. Everything crashes on occasion. It doesn't handle internet ads well at all. The biggest developers for it are in india. It is however the more aesthetic OS in my opinion. It is the best design of all operating systems and that's what's kept me with them for so long. That being said, I'm finally getting fed up with nothing working like it's supposed to, and with the recent announcement that the project to run apk files natively being dead, I can't justify using one. Will likely be switching to a nexus 5x.
>>
>>51699610
>wanting to live in Europe anyways
The only, and I do mean ONLY, worthwhile place to live in europe are Nice and some key southern coastal cities in Spain.

Literally everywhere else is a shithole full of diseased and uneducated peasants and rubes. And unlike America, the government will take half of your paycheck to make up for the mass majority's incompetence.
>>
>>51705333
kek, sure.
>>
>>51699178
Because it's not MUH ANDROID!
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.