[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I became an official Microsoft Associate yesterday. First
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: itsofficial.png (25 KB, 317x216) Image search: [Google]
itsofficial.png
25 KB, 317x216
So I became an official Microsoft Associate yesterday.
First of many certifications to come.

What certifications does /g/ have?
>>
>>51698769
No certs, don't need them at all
>>
>>51698780
Well it's cool when applying for a job so meh. I'm happy with it so far.

Going for some Linux certificates next, or thinking about a database one.
>>
>>51698784
Wait, you got a cert and it wasn't because some employer paid for it?

I think you got duped, anon.
>>
Certs are for idiots
>>
File: aalq001361.jpg (147 KB, 640x404) Image search: [Google]
aalq001361.jpg
147 KB, 640x404
Free exam answers for everyone, kids http://www.examcollection.com/ Don't pay for anything there, just download a cracked VCE reader.
>>
>>51698791
I agree, if you wish for more have the employer pay for them.

>>51698816
This is loosely referred to as the 'indian method'. I'd frown at it but some of those microsoft ones have some dumb answers.
>>
>>51698791
Oh no friend, I didn't pay for it.
>>
Rhce and rhcsa

Completely pointless. Waste of time, but not my money.
>>
>>51698835
>indian method
You mean everybody's method.

Tech certs aren't worth anybody's time. Not while there's nothing stopping anyone from cheating.
>>
>>51698869
It's primarily done by indians but yes, anyone who is remotely smart about certs will do it as well.
>>
>>51698886
Anybody who's smart wouldn't fall for the meme, anon. If you're walking with the same cert anybody could've earned through cheating it's worthless.
>>
>>51698869
>>51698886
But why cheat? You're meant to know the stuff you're certified for if you're going to get a job in that field. If you don't know shit people will know
>>
>>51698907
Get your degree. Certs aren't a good metric to say something about your competence. Not while everyone can cheat the system.
>>
>>51698934
In all honesty I am getting a degree but the certs are extras.
School says it's for better chances at getting a job
>>
>>51698943
Of course they'll say that. That's how ignorant HR people invite you for an interview.
>>
>>51698907
It's gotten to the point where 'why not cheat' is the better question.
They've been devalued by the sheer quantity, I know a literal classload of people who have certs but don't know a fucking thing about computers. Their merit as a way of distinguishing competence is worthless and once you yourself have one you begin to realise their true worth by seeing just what kind of people also have it.

The reason you take them when the boss offers is because you aren't paying for it and in some instances you gain the ability to charge more for no real reason.

>>51698943
I assure you it's bollocks. Whatever you do, do not pay for them yourself, thats really all that matters.
>>
>>51698963
So.. Why are these people saying they don't need certs if they increase your chances

I'm getting at least 6-10 more certs before applying
>>
>>51698987
Yeah well I'm going to get 20 certs. So fuck you.
>>
>>51698983
I'm not paying for them, I don't even have any money
>>
>>51698987
>>>51698963 (You)
>So.. Why are these people saying they don't need certs if they increase your chances
Certs 'work' because HR needs some sort of metric to select candidates. What they fail to acknowledge is that everybody could've earned it through cheating.
>I'm getting at least 6-10 more certs before applying
I got 15, and yes it landed me a job back then. Then I learned that I'm worth just as much as a monkey with good memorising skills. As long as this system is broken, they're worth shit. I'm not proud of any cert I earned and neither should anyone here.
>>
I don't have a degree, I earn 3 x the national average.

Universities will tell you how important degrees are, because they are businesses. If no-one bothers to get a degree, they don't make any money. It's simple.

When I hire people, I read their cv in this order:
1: key skills, in bullet points preferably.
2: examples of significant pieces of work
3: ethnicity. Not supposed to do it, but useful for splitting hairs between two otherwise identical candidates

Get past all of those, you get an interview, and you'll get grilled on everything you list.
>>
>>51699101
>Universities will tell you how important degrees are, because they are businesses.
I'm so glad I live in a country where University tuition is like $100 every year and where the University gives a fuck if you pass your classes or not or even attend or drop out because they get the same amount of money from grants and funds and tax money anyway, and thus can focus on research rather than being a degree factory.
>>
Forgot to mention, when I hire people, whether they have a degree or not doesn't come into consideration.
>>
>>51698784
>>51698868
going to be testing for RHCSA soon, company paying for it. Been a full time linux admin for a year now. Any tips?
>>
>>51699123
Fuck you for being a cunt that doesn't hire fresh graduates then

>hurr durr degree is worthless
The work you did to obtain that degree is experience. It can be shit and worthless experience or it can be useful and relevant experience.
>>
>>51699127
Study the course material and practice using CentOS at home.
>>
>>51699148
>>51699148

Why would I hire a graduate? My experience is they are work shy (going from 12 hours a week to 40 hours is a huge jump), and they have a huge Fucking entitled chip on their shoulder. I'd rather get someone who had worked for someone else for two years, either straight from school our from university who had been broken in and I wouldn't beef to waste my time teaching them work ethics
>>
>>51699226
>you need experience to be hired but you need to be hired to get experience

Also
>hurr durr poor work ethics
That's why part time jobs and internships exist.
>>
>>51699226
>My experience is they are work shy (going from 12 hours a week to 40 hours is a huge jump), and they have a huge Fucking entitled chip on their shoulder.

Looks like you're projecting your personal inferiority complex caused by insecurities surrounding your lack of a degree
>>
>>51699127

I bought a 1000 page book, 90% of which is unnecessary.

Learn: nfs, samba, iptables, tcp wrappers, iptables, apache, inside out. Make sure for each service you can lock it down to a specific remote user.
>>
>>51698769
why do autists care about certifications?
It's like saying "instead of actual work experience, I paid a corporation to say that I might be able to do it"
>>
>>51699243
>>51699243

You need experience to get hired by me. Others will take you on if you have a positive attitude I'm sure

>>51699256

Nope, just been burned by shit employees. I find people who are self taught and genuinely interested in tech easier to motivate then people with a spoon fed education, who've been promised their degree gives them a huge advantage in life.
>>
>>51699309
>work hard to get an education
>work part time since 16 to be able to afford it
>interviewer calls me entitled and spoonfed

I've experienced an interviewer like this, except they didn't go after my degree but he tried to belittle my two years as a full time C++ developer while doing my master's and calling it irrelevant, since according to him the only thing that mattered was the completion date for my master's and therefore I should have the entry-level salary.

Long story short: I did not leave my C++ job for that job.
>>
File: 798.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>51699309
>>
>>51699374

Sorry to hear they. Personally if I was after a c++ guy and you had two years experience, that would impress me more then the degree. Reason being: in work, you create applications for real life scenarios. People who've learned to develop at uni have told me their apps are created as hello world or research applications.

To get ahead, show off your examples of applications you'd coded, and more so if your code has been adopted by one of the key open-source projects.
>>
>>51699462
It's quite belittling to assume that what I did in my studies was "hello world" or merely some obscure "research application". For my master thesis, for example, I and a fellow student made an open source packet trace analysis tool that analyses TCP streams and is now currently being used by at least 70 or so people judging from the comments in the issue tracker (including a lot of people from the research department I did my master's at and several cooperating research groups) and I also made a patch for the Linux kernel that is now currently being reviewed and evaluated for inclusion into net-next.
>>
>>51699563

That's great, but you are an exception, clearly.

I've interviewed grads who clearly went to university because their friends were. They didn't want to get a job and wanted to spend 4 years boozing. They did the bare minimum, hour a 2:2 from a shithouse university. Or they wave a certification from an Indian university I've never heard of.

I'm not trying to suck dick, but you are completely different. You're on 4chan, because you're a geek. You've written something which could be useful to a wire data company. You aren't my experience of a typical grad.
>>
butthurt "I paid $30k a year for my $10 degree" ITT
How does it feel wasting all that time and life for something so worthless yet feel entitled you are obligated a job?
>>
>>51699633
>That's great, but you are an exception, clearly.
That's the thing, I really sincerely believe that I'm not!

Everyone (and I mean like 90%, there was always one or two slackers) that did a master's from the same research group did similar exceptional things (except working full time on the side, that's not so common [most people drop out and just work instead]) and I'm fairly sure that master students from other research groups at the same uni did too. Of course, I don't know what goes on in other unis and in other countries, but the people I've met at the academic conference I went to (yeah, I forgot to mention that my master thesis also spawned a paper for IEEE LCN) were similar, they too had done amazing stuff, and many - in my eyes - stuff that's way beyond what I did. Of course, most of these people were PhD students and not only master's students, but some were and I talked to these PhD students about what they did for their masters' as well.

>You aren't my experience of a typical grad.
Well, my impression is that your experience isn't very representative. I don't know though, maybe I'm coloured from having hung around the "right kind" of people, you know?
>>
>>51699746

Guess it depends what university you went to. If you go to a good university which is actually selective about who they admit, you'll obviously get the better candidates who are technically capable as well as motivated.

Unfortunately universities in the UK were deregulated 15 years ago or so,which means anyone can set up a school and call it a university. It also means they can set their graduation criteria, meaning you can give highest honours to a completely untalented fool.

Unfortunately there are a lot more of the latter in the job market rather than the former.
>>
>>51699787
>Guess it depends what university you went to. If you go to a good university which is actually selective about who they admit, you'll obviously get the better candidates who are technically capable as well as motivated.
Well, I went to a state university (I'm Norwegian, we only have a handful decent unis and they're all funded by the state), and since STEM fields are hugely unpopular the only requirement for getting in was having the "advanced" math class in high school (which I barely passed btw, I never "got" mathematics until way into my uni math course). But one thing that is true is that master students are still quite uncommon, at least for CS, and those that do them are usually highly motivated and usually capable (because of being motivated).

I think I had the fortune of not having a lot of friends when I first started, so I actively sought for new friends that were similarly minded as me and I ended up joining a hackerspace where everyone was bright and talented (a couple of guys from that hackerspace now work with Google core systems and three others started their own company together).

I don't know how the situation in the UK is, but I imagine that only those that are somewhat motivated would actually bother getting a master's degree?
>>
>>51699853
>>51699787
But I guess one of the differences is that the state funded universities doesn't give a fuck whether you pass or not or complete your degree or not.

They get the same amount of money anyway, and only a handful of that is earmarked for students. The rest is for research and other stuff like industry cooperation and stuff like that. So I guess that a school that relies on having as many students pass as possible in order to get more money, would essentially turn into a degree factory.
>>
>>51699853

>I don't know how the situation in the UK is, but I imagine that only those that are somewhat motivated would actually bother getting a master's degree?

This may be the cynic in me, but don't some people do a maters to string out the amount of time they have before needing to get a job?

I also don't know what the situation is in Asia or Africa, I get the impression a lot of their universities are easy to bribe a qualification from.
>>
>>51699928
>but don't some people do a maters to string out the amount of time they have before needing to get a job?
In Norway at least, you have nothing to "gain" from doing a master's. Some companies require a master's degree, but around half of them don't really need them.

The starting salary for someone with a master's is of course higher, but people who stop after a bachelor's will be 2 years of pay raises in advance so it doesn't really matter and recent economy studies show that that salary gap is really never recovered (only after 18 years or something will the master's degree pay off).

Because of this, most people stop after a bachelor's degree especially in STEM, but it's also so for most other fields except the ones like psychology and medicine that are structured differently. In other words, you either get your master's because 1) you are really, really into what you do and want a job at a company that requires it or 2) you're considering to do a PhD (which in Norway requires a master's degree).

You're fucked in terms of your own finances, because student grants and loans are finite and limited to 5-7 years (depending on the study).
>>
>>51698769
I just have a CS degree and no certs. I got my A+ in high school but it's worthless now. Graduating with a very well paying job.
>>
>>51700019
>>51699928
Oh yeah, and I forgot. Most people who do a master's in CS will have a job waiting for them at completion as recruiters are constantly hunting for them since they are so few. I had to start working before I completed because my student grants ran out when I got delayed because of a horrible breakup that rendered me basically homeless over night (my ex decided to dump me and get together with the guy we rented the apartment from, and he (unlawfully) kicked me out in a matter of hours) so I went from being in a relationship and renting an apartment to heartbroke and homeless in less than 6 hours.

Long story short, I had to move in to a homeless shelter (living together with war traumatised asylum seekers and druggies), and my focus shifted temporarily to getting a job to support myself so I could rent a new place as quick as possible, and this led to a delay which mean that I had to continue to work while doing my master's.
>>
>>51700083
>>51699746
>>51699563
>>51699374
>being this resourceful
>is on /g/ on a saturday night
Why?
>>
>>51700154
I'm still a fat, depressed, anti-social and miserable cunt with no gf and no social life.

While I do take my pride in making it on my own, I still suck in a lot of other aspects in life.
>>
Funny thing is that people do certs in technologies they will never ever work with.
(CCNA, Oracle). Also - programming certs are shit. Indian guys know everything about inheritance in Java but cannot code a simple app. That sums it all
>>
>>51699127
>>been a Linux sysadmin for a year
>>still have to go get a cert

Why. I don't understand it. If that cert was so important and the material it bestows upon you is required how did you manage to work as a Linux sysadmin?

Its not a targeted question but rather a statement. You're not the first, second, or hundredth person I've herd this from.

I don't get how you worked in industry for one, three, eight years and all of a sudden you need this POS paper to state you're qualified for the job even though you have years of experience and hands on knowledge. Knowledge no paper can instill.

If you have been performing the job successfully without the need of the cert what's the point of the cert? Why would employers force their personnel to have to achieve one? You're wasting time of not only the employee but even the employer, even more so if the employer is paying for it.

Now if you're doing it for personal achievement then that's fine. Or doing it because you want to get into the industry and have zero prior knowledge that's understandable. But its not if you're already rooted for years.
>>
>>51700334

There's a big pay jump from "just a sysadmin" to "an RHCE certified sysadmin". Dunno why, but it's used as a benchmark. I'll be interested to see if doors are closed to me after mine lapses.
>>
>>51698769
I have one of them msdn premium accounts.
I don't know if i understood everything but it looks like i can run for every cert ms has for free.

i now have these cert's
Excel2013
Word2013
Win7
>>
>>51700370
>Excel2013
>Word2013
>Win7

Well done. You are now a fully qualified secretary.
>>
I'm 18.
And i'm planning to try to get a lot of the certificates that i can access using my msdn account.
>>
>>51700446
>>51698816
>>
>>51698769
Linux+ security+, betas that say certs don't matter aren't making six figures
>>
>>51700501
I prefer to actually use my intellect, especially if that gives me as much chance of passing as that.
I think i'm going for some networking-related certs next
>>
>>51700550
Of course. I'm just telling you you're going to end up with a piece of paper a trained monkey with good memorising skills can earn it as well.
>>
None.
Was thinking about doing some Cisco or Red Hat certs, but seeing how they cost ~1.5mo of my salary, I think I'll pass.
>>
Surprising to see so much cert hate in this thread when I've seen so many threads on /g/ being highly positive about them.

I don't have any but I've been considering to get working on some to more confidently apply for IT related jobs. As someone in mid 20s I really don't feel like going back to college.
>>
>>51698769
3 MTA's because they were free and it was easy as fuck. Then I realized certs don't mean shit and I don't like Windows.
>>
Anybody who's smart wouldnt have a cert everyone else got through cheating just like your college degree.
>>
Paying for certs for MS word, excel and other software in the package is stupid and is not worth it.
>>
>>51700885
This

In fact the whole microsoft cert is shit.

They just train you how to use their software. That's nothing special.
>>
>>51700841
Your degree weighs more, provided you're studying at a good university. I can't imagine why, but you can always hop on the bandwagon later and earn certs afterwards...
>>
>>51698769
currently only CCNA, plan to get CCNP and some Red Hat certificate sometime in the future though
>>
OCA
OCP
OCM
CCNA
CCNP
And some shitty IBM ITIM and Wbsphere based ones
All because my employer really wanted me to get them.
>>
>>51698769
2 * MCSD ( Windows Store Apps & Web Technologies )
> Can confirm, meme, don't even have to be a developer to pass it tbqh, senpai
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.