[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
From Arch to Debian.. What is the best Debian branch for someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Debiarch.png (18 KB, 170x191) Image search: [Google]
Debiarch.png
18 KB, 170x191
From Arch to Debian..
What is the best Debian branch for someone coming from arch (unstable or testing)

Is there anything on Debian that is similar to the AUR, it's one of the main reasons I'm still using arch.

like to hear your suggestions on the matter /g/
>>
there is nothing like AUR.

why are you thinking of switching?
>>
>>51692109
I have been using the same arch install for 2 years straight, it's been solid as fuck.
Never gave the original Debian a real shot before and would like to do so now.
>>
>>51692235
user repo with a buttload of programs.

one of the few things that arch has over other distros.
>>
>>51692165
Are you heavily bored or something? Stop that shit and install Windows 10, install Visual Studio, learn c sharp and get yourself a well paid job which is going to get you laid. I just gave you a recipe for success, thank me later
>>
>>51692165
The closest thing you'll find to bleeding edge is unstable (sid). Which usually works okay. Really the strength of Debian is in the stable release though. It's the very opposite of bleeding edge, but you set it up and leave it there and it doesn't break and gets years of security patches.

I'd only switch if you were all "I ain't got time for all this fucking around on Arch anymore, I want something that just werks"
>>
File: klopp1.webm (108 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
klopp1.webm
108 KB, 720x404
>>51692319
>>
File: 1369425972150.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1369425972150.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>51692083
>What is the best Debian branch
Debian.

Though this is no longer true.
Systemd literally ruined everything.
Nothing works anymore and it gets worse every day.
I'm being force to move on from my beloved Debian who I've been true to for the better part of the last decade, and it breaks my heart.

See you on Funtoo OP.
>>
>>51692083
I was in the same boat as you and couldn't get debian installed because of xorg/gnome issues. Then I realized this is a problem across all distros and decided to stay with arch.
>>
>>51692083
no, get ubuntu server. ubuntu server is to debian what arch is to manjaro. ubuntu doesnt need the AUR since everything is ported to its repositories by default
>>
>>51692506
What kind of issues?
Everything has always just worked for me.
>>
File: 1424021460893.png (96 KB, 602x350) Image search: [Google]
1424021460893.png
96 KB, 602x350
>>51692365
Ehhh... no matter what distro you pick, if you're using it as your workhorse machine, something will inevitably go wrong.
>>
>>51692524
he is probably a retard who expected all packages across repositories would have the exact same names, that is othe only issue i could see of it
>>
>>51692454
Fucking lel, desu senpai systemd is probably why I'm leaving Arch also, arch was way more fun before it. Thought I'd give Debian a try since I never used it full time before regardless of systemd. But Funtoo is really a great option, so I might as well see you there.
>>
>>51692454
Tried devuan?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.