[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Gentooman Library
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: wizard.jpg (159 KB, 462x465) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
159 KB, 462x465
The gentooman library is roughly 35 gigs of books that all programmers and network engineers should have. You can find a link here:

http://g.sicp.me/books/

The problem is the torrent is dead. There are no seeders or peers at all. Does anyone have the full collection? I have a seedbox and would love to keep this up but dont have the bandwidth on my home connection to DL them all. If an anon has a torrent of it or could make one I would seed until we got this off the ground again. Anyone?
>>
Nobody seeds it anymore because every book was a virus.
It was a just an old /g/ meme.
>>
I have it all, plus some. No clue how to make a torrent though
>>
>>51691836
It would be feasibly possible to host the collection on IPFS. Because you don't have to trust the host to provide you the correct file, you generally don't have to worry about viruses.

There obviously has to be trust somewhere though, but I think maintaining a reliable hash list of trusted files shouldn't be that difficult.
>>
Bump, Would like to download it aswell
>>
>>51691782

Flash books?

Java books from 1992?

I saw this a few days ago. It is shit.

It's like you sorted them, but you didn't pick out books that mattered.

You're missing Design and Implementation of FreeBSD

You're missing a ton of a shit - yet also including a lot of "Sam's Teach Yourself Visual Studio 2004 in 24 Hours" garbage.

Literally - the worst of both worlds.
>>
A LOT of it really is horribly old. Doesn't mean it's useless, I guess. Some of it is probably always going to be useful.
Would be fun to redo it with newer stuff.
>>
I do seem to remember finding the lot of it hosted somewhere on TOR / Freenet / I2P. couldnt say where exactly, but I think it was pretty prominent on whichever ones' respective primary index
>>
>>51693778
Java didn't show up til mid-nineties at the earliest
>>
>>51691782
I have this torrent and a full collection. I only have 1 Mbps upload though.
>>
>>51694121
Let me try to mount my external hard drive to prove I have it. This will take a moment.
>>
>>51694042
please don't split hairs man.

i would appreciate it if someone went through the books by hand and not just sorted through a bunch of garbage anon

I appreciate what you're doing. Don't take it the wrong way.

Take out the books that are shitty.

Ask for some community feedback if you want. But it'd probably be better as neets to go through and pick the good apples by hand.

I don't mean this in a condescending way, but as a fellow /g/ anon
>>
>>51694121
>>51694151
Okay, I figured out I indeed have this collection... but it's in this path:

/mnt/wde1/Media/E-Books/ftp.installgentoo.com/Gentoomen_Library

You can guess where to get it from, I suppose.
>>
>>51694255
$ ls -l /mnt/wde1/Media/E-Books/ftp.installgentoo.com/Gentoomen\ Library/
total 540
dr-x------ 1 root root 20480 Mar 24 2013 Algorithms
dr-x------ 1 root root 8192 Mar 24 2013 Animation
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Artificial Intelligence
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Computational Linguistics
dr-x------ 1 root root 8192 Mar 24 2013 Computer Architecture
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Computer Graphics
dr-x------ 1 root root 8192 Mar 24 2013 Computer History
dr-x------ 1 root root 20480 Mar 24 2013 Cryptography
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Data Analysis
dr-x------ 1 root root 20480 Mar 24 2013 Databases
dr-x------ 1 root root 8192 Mar 24 2013 Data Mining
dr-x------ 1 root root 12288 Mar 24 2013 Data Structures
dr-x------ 1 root root 8192 Mar 24 2013 Digital Design
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 DSP-Collection
dr-x------ 1 root root 12288 Mar 24 2013 Electronics
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Extra
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Game Development
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Information Retrieval
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Information Theory
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Maths
dr-x------ 1 root root 196608 Mar 24 2013 Misc
dr-x------ 1 root root 20480 Mar 24 2013 Networking
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 Operating Systems
dr-x------ 1 root root 8192 Mar 24 2013 Programming
dr-x------ 1 root root 98304 Mar 24 2013 Security
dr-x------ 1 root root 28672 Mar 24 2013 Software Engineering
dr-x------ 1 root root 4096 Mar 24 2013 The Actually Useful Programming Library
dr-x------ 1 root root 24576 Mar 24 2013 Theory Of Computation
$ du -sh /mnt/wde1/Media/E-Books/ftp.installgentoo.com/Gentoomen\ Library/
33G /mnt/wde1/Media/E-Books/ftp.installgentoo.com/Gentoomen Library/
>>
>>51694232
While I could definitely agree some books are better left out, what criteria would you use to decide what gets in to the master list?
>>
had a copy of it, but lost most of it.

copied the good stuff i wanted for personal use.

also there were a bunch of viruses, tried clamscan and that made me want to get rid of it
>>
>>51691782
>>51694121
I checked, the Gentoomen library is still available at ftp.installgentoo.com.

ftp://ftp.installgentoo.com/EBOOKS/Gentoomen%20Library/

User: install
Pass: capybara
>>
>>51694270
A human being on /g/ or irc recommending it from personal experience.

Right now the current standard seems to be anything a pirate group scanned into a PDF that has the name in the title.

I really believe if you picked by hand from the start you'd get good books.
>>
File: 2015-12-05-060032_637x796_scrot.png (138 KB, 637x796) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-05-060032_637x796_scrot.png
138 KB, 637x796
>>51694313
>>
>>51694327
also (me again)

It could just be my personal tastes - have you ever really found "Sam's Teach yourself X in 24 hours" or "Head First" programming type books helpful?

There is a difference between a book like those mass market books and K&R, GoF, Dragon Book, Structure and interpreation of computer programs.

They actually show up nice if you google "Famous Computer Science Books" if you're in america.

Also, one by one, make sure the quality of the PDF's is good.

anon, are you on IRC? I'd be willing to help
>>
>>51694327
That's a nice thought, though I'm not sure how far you would get with most of /g/
You would almost certainly get a lot people wanting to be notified when the project was done, and a lot of others making jokes about logos.

I don't think it's something a few hobbyists could manage on their own. The library was meant to have a book for anything in that realm that you could want, and most people aren't that well read/studied
>>
>>51694327
If I remember correctly, the original collection was whatever books people on the irc had. I don't think this is a bad criteria. It can be hard to find the right book for what you need.
>>
>>51694500
Yeah, they trimmed it down a bit to begin with from what I remember, and got rid of dupes. but that is a huge volume of ebooks. I wouldn't be surprised if the QC got a bit lax at the end
>>
Ok, so, if a group were wanting to pull a collection of free and/or pirated material together in to a decently curated library - How would they do it?
I have a pretty large and varied pile of stuff, and a few hours most days that I could put towards getting that done.
I don't have the time to read every bit of material that might be offered up by anons though
>>
Going through the FTP for the 1st time in ... years? There is some worthwhile stuff there now.
>>
I think there's a working torrent on /t/
>>
>>51691782
I'll start seeding when I get home.
>>
>>51694645
Well the criteria I would use would be nothing over 10 yrs unless it is a paper/book of historical significance (Think "C Programming Language by Dennis Ritchie"), something that hasn't changed in 10 yrs (like a math book), or something that is just unique.

That's how'd I'd go about it.
>>
>>51694818
I disagree. Many old technologies are still used in schools. Help with school is a big attraction of the gentooman library.
>>
G'night fello anons. Here's a site with a searchable collection of CS books.
http://it-ebooks.info/
>>
>>51693694
The answer to that must lie within one of those 35 GBs of knowledge. Search for the bytes you need, not the bytes you want.
>>
http://programming-motherfucker.com/become.html
Here is another collection of free resources. I guess we could gather links to free stuff to begin with, then move on to pirated material if we need, and then older stuff if necessary
>>
not dead
>>
>have it on external harderive incase of bad times ahead.
>like id share it with you
>>
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/zzFpdSS4KYgPU7H8Cm6Uvo2OslQGUQ3leJuR5lh5PUZ?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy
This is my first post on 4chan
>>
>>51691782
>35 gigs of books that all programmers and network engineers should have.
L M A O
M
A
O
>>
>>51694313
Downloading right now, based anon be based
>>
Can we form a more versatile Gentooman's Library?
Ideally it should contain no more than 20 books, because really. 99% of the crap in the gentooman's library is just shovelware garbage.
>>
>>51696839
Nice idea
>>
Got it through torrent only 5 days ago. You may need to wait for a bit to get seeders/peers.
>>
>>51696839
Operation Gentwoman's library?
>It's great because it's a pun and it uses the words Gent and Woman which highlights the vibe of equality we like to keep here at /g/
>>
>>51696839
What's the point though? Let the idiots hoard niggabytes of worthless crap they are never ever going to read or even glimpse at.
>>
>>51697033
This, there are a few websites that offer free computing ebooks.
>>
Well, how hard could it be to make a better library if the current one is such garbage?

>>51696839
There are 28 top-level categories in the current one. I don't think 20 books will suffice for the scope of the library as it is now, but we can definitely cut out a lot of garbage, and make each category more focused.

>>51697033
>>51697067
A lot of the GentLibrary is stuff no one will look at, but I don't think it was supposed to something anyone was going to go completely through. It was supposed to have a resource for anything that you might want to do (within the STEM realm). Complaining that it's too big is like akin to complaining that Wikipedia is useless because it has info that you personally wont find relevant.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.