[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, Ive been wanting to study computer science since I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
Hello, Ive been wanting to study computer science since I have always loved computers, the only problem being that I have never really tried coding. I know that there are various online courses for different languages but I'm not sure what language would be best to start with so I was hoping you guys could recommend any. Thanks
>>
Python, Lua, or C
>>
don't bother, we don't need more spoonfeed babbies in CS or SE
>>
File: 1449158824489.jpg (205 KB, 766x831) Image search: [Google]
1449158824489.jpg
205 KB, 766x831
>>51687484
hea ya go
>>
Daily reminder that computer science is not a science and is not about computers.
>>
Start with C.

It's difficult to start with, but its low level enough to learn what computers do and how they do it. Then you can start moving to high level, like c++, c#, java etc because then youve atleast got an understanding
>>
>>51687588
Not OP but thanks for this. Just found it in Arch's AUR. It may be just the push I needed to get motivated and learn some shit.
>>
>>51687484
>I have always loved computers
>never really tried coding
CS is not for you. you love the mystery that a PC is to you, but not the endless math describing how information is structured and processed.

CS is neither really a Science nor does it consider real computer. CS is applied algebra without experiments.

if you can handle that. Go for it.
But just because you love computers? Most people like computers.
>>
>>51687671
It's actually really fun, my community college uses this in their intro to programming course and its great for helping people who have never programmed before to understand abstract concepts.
>>
>>51687535
So I shouldn't go into cs unless I have been coding since I was 3 years old?
>>
>>51687640
I was thinking of an easy language that would help me understand how working with code feels like as I'm still not sure if programming is what I want to study. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>51687811
Fuck off, let him try. Whether he decides to go into CS, software engineering or professional dicksucking is his decision.

>>51688133
The languages I suggest to beginners are Python and C (so basically what >>51687513 said, haven't tried Lua yet). Python is easier and shows you what coding is without too much trouble, but it's really simplified, basically babby's first programming language (still godlike for many real life applications nonetheless). C is more difficult to grasp at first glance but helps you a lot to understand how the basic stuff works. So it's basically a bottom up approach, you don't get much nearer to what the computer actually does than with C.
>>
>>51688036
no but if you need to make a thread about "how 2 pogram" because you can't figure it out via google (or whatever search engine) you're probably not gonna make it, or at best wind up as another shitty copypaste "engineer".
>>
>>51687484
Study electrical engineering and do an embedded systems minor.
>>
>>51688310
I never asked how to program...the only thing I did was come to a technology board to ask which programming language would be easier to grasp to help me understand what coding feels like (since I believe this board is full of proffessionals ) no need to get so defensive.
>>
>>51688494
>this board is full of proffessionals

kek
>>
>>51688296
Thanks, I'm gonna try python and if I feel like I could enjoy coding I'm gonna go on to c. Good day!
>>
>>51688518
It's night, m8
>>
>>51688296
This seems entirely accurate and I have nothing more to add to this.
>>
>>51688540
Good night...
>>
>>51687484
The language doesn't matter. Start with one object oriented language that has good support and appeals you.

If you are familiar with the basics you can swich in shortest time.
>>
>>51688494

>this board is full of professionals

Yeah professional NEETs lmao
>>
Good choice. Start with Python to see if programming is your thing. Move on to C and then take it from there
>>
>>51688719
As long as they know what they are talking about....
>>
>>51687605
Yeah, it's more like magic.
>>
>>51689094
Those spirits ain't gonna conjure themselves.
>>
>>51688036

CS has very little to do with programming
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.