[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1 year old windows 7 install >runs like a leprosy affected
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: ShitEdition.jpg (10 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
ShitEdition.jpg
10 KB, 420x315
1 year old windows 7 install
>runs like a leprosy affected lame beggar unless you delete cache and what not, in short babysit it
>slow af
>searching for drivers the moment you insert new peripherals like even a thumb drive

1 year old xubuntu install
>snappy, quick
>everything works just like it's supposed to
>almost all drivers are there by default

Why aren't people switching to Linux based distros? Almost all applications that one would need (except games) work with wine. Windows 10 removes files on its own ffs
>>
>>51681810
>xfce

enjoying your screen tearing I see?

cinnamon and unity are the only none-sucky DEs that won`t drain your battery
>>
>>51681810
I started using linux daily a year ago (exactly december 2014). Now i switched to linux on all my computers except my gaming PC, it has windows 10 pro. I really cant go back everyday i use it i love it more and i learn how is better than windows. Im studying CS on college and i almost do all my work on linux...
>>
>>51681810
i'm sorry you don't know how to maintain a windows instalation

my t420 with the win7 it came with is still snappy as fuck

>everything works just like it's supposed to
>all the the potential sound and wifi driver issues
yea ok
>>
File: 1447893986778.jpg (94 KB, 785x662) Image search: [Google]
1447893986778.jpg
94 KB, 785x662
>>51681810
>Windows based laptop designed to run any software past, present, future and has all the necessary components to run games and multimedia content without requiring any additional packages or internet connection runs slow because it has to load all those modules to ensure user is not inconvenienced

>A Linux based laptop that is just a GUI on top of a kernel to shitpost, watch anime and change wallapers loads so much faster because it has no functionality beyond a symbianOS mobile phone... so much better

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>51681915
>maintaining
found your problem, senpai

even my GENTOO installation doesn't need maintaining.
also haven't encountered wifi/sound issues even once during my 10 years period of usage.
>>
>>51681951
>and has all the necessary components to run games and multimedia content without requiring any additional packages or internet connection runs slow because it has to load

do you mean the 26 different DirectX / .NET packages I need to download from Steam with every game installation I run, in comparison to the GLIBC and OpenGL being pre-included in all GNU/Linux distros?
>>
>>51681973
Far better than the bullshit package management and dependency errors caused by Linux. The user should not be bothered under any circumstances. The OS and the developer need to ensure everything is automated either from their end or the software installers from 3rd parties.

No one has the time to sit through reading each error and resolving dependencies manually.
>>
>>51681915
>all the the potential sound and wifi driver issues
That is only if you use a potato distro. The mainstream ones work without a problem.

>i'm sorry you don't know how to maintain a windows instalation
I have used windows all my life and every time, inevitably i had to reinstall the partition because it was slow as fuck. I used CCleaner, deleted a bunch of programs, but nothing worked. Except reinstalling.

>>51681951
>A Linux based laptop that is just a GUI on top of a kernel to shitpost, watch anime and change wallapers loads so much faster because it has no functionality beyond a symbianOS mobile phone... so much better
Absolutely false. A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y false.

>Windows based laptop designed to run any software past, present, future and has all the necessary components to run games and multimedia content without requiring any additional packages or internet connection runs slow because it has to load all those modules to ensure user is not inconvenienced
Being slow is inconvenience anon
But yeah i get that, you'd obviously use windows if you want to play games but look at windows, "no additional packages"? Nope. Windows requires tons of new software on top of the newly installed OS to make it usable.

Have you used a non meme tier Linux based distro before or am i being shit on here?
>>
>>51681915
>maintain

Wow, using your OS shouldn't be a job.
>>
>>51681992
>No one has the time to sit through reading each error and resolving dependencies manually.
braah
Thats what package managers are for
You type in one line in the terminal
One line
And it solves all your problems

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

thats it for Debian based distros, done and done
>>
>>51681992
which errors, anon?
are you running Slack or something?
>>
>>51681998
Unless you have hardware from 2007, a fucking laptop with i3 and 2gb ram runs Windows 10 flawlessly without lag only consuming 700mb ram for all the services and background processes.
>>
>>51682019
Tried to compile a fucking HP p1102 printer driver which was a 5 page instructions set. In between a shit ton of errors popped up. I torched my drive and nearly punched my screen because I sat there for 30 mins trying to install my printer only to be faced with this crap.

Fuck Linux
>>
>>51682033
do you mean you didn't just let CUPS manage all of your shit?

>m-mom I can't use something
>its shit! I swear it's not my fault

also the issue you described has NOTHING to do with either package managers or dependencies.
sounds like you have no idea what youre doing..

the bait had shit taste btw, you should invest more money and buy sweeter baits, anon.
>>
>>51681858
INSTALL COMPTON
N
S
T
A
L
L

C
O
M
P
T
O
N
>>
>>51681858
>enjoying your screen tearing I see?
ever heard for compton?
>>
>>51682033
why would you use a potato distro instead of a mainstream distro that probably has the drivers in the software store?
>>
>>51681858
>cinnamon
>unity
I'd like to see how they beat Openbox in terms of resource/battery drain. And, as others said, Compton for your tears.
>>
>>51681810
>saying "af"
kill yourslef
>>
I installed win xp for my sister, 4 years ago. Disabled autoupdate. She use itfor web browsing, watch movies on scam ad-cancered shittier webpages. Download some cracked games, and "free mp4 to mp3 converter" type troyan programs. Still runs smooth.

Inb4 cool story
>>
>>51682523
Thats actually very believable, windows xp was a great OS. It was a bridge of sorts between the older harder to use windows versions, and the newer easy to use ones
>>
File: IMG_1050.jpg (15 KB, 121x125) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1050.jpg
15 KB, 121x125
>>51681810
>running an OS that is basically phone-tier and talking about it running faster

its like putting a game in low graphics and then saying that its better because it runs faster
>>
Honestly, the lack of VT-d on my current build is the one and only reason I don't have Linux with a VM of Win10 right now.

Is there another effective way to have GPU pass-thru for Windows-only games in a VM? WINE simply isn't acceptable for the majority of my games, I spent weeks trying to get it working at an at acceptable level.
>>
>>51681951
>any past software
>except when we shit on you an create NT
>or the other time when... well vista.
>hurr durr same thing win 8
yeah kid go play with the other oblivious normies.
>>
>>51682064
>>51682066
>>51682126
>let's just install more bloat on top of bloat to fix a non-issue that should had been fixed in the DE
Linuxtards will defend this
>>
>>51686591
>hurr durr
>what are compatibility settings
Isn't it time for you to eat some toe jam, Richard?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.