[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dual Booting Win10 and Linux on the same SSD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
The guides I've found are for doing it with two different drives. I'd like to put both OS's and any shared applications on the SSD; I have a 1tb HDD for other files.
>>
Just partition the ssd to your liking during the first installation then partition the rest of the drive for Linux ext4 during that install.

For the storage you will have to split it into another 2 partitions . One ntfs and the other ext4.
>>
>>51682096
Well shit, my CD reader is broken, so I can't use the win8 pro CD I had. I guess I'll have to get used t o Wine not working for the shit I'm trying to use lol.
>>
>>51682407
>What is a USB stick
>What is PXE
>>
>>51682407
You don't have a dozen usb sticks lying around, or even a rooted android phone?
>>
There's multiple ways.

>If windows is previously installed:
Hold down windows button and press 'R'
Type
 diskmgmt.msc[ /code] and enter.
Shrink the desired drive and leave however much unallocated space you want for lincocks.
Reboot into live install for leenucks
Install and when partitioning, use the leftover space on the drive.
Install grub and os-prober to find pre-existing Windows partition
Done
If Linux is already installed:
Boot into a live copy of anything with a partitioning tool so you may resize your partitions and leave unallocated space.
Boot into windows installation and install to unallocated space.
>>
>>51682666
My code tags got fucked up cause clover sry
>>
>>51682530
What is PXE seriously.
>>51682647
I don't have a USB stick lying around though I'll get one on the way home from work.
>>51682666
It's a new computer, so there's no previous installation of Windows.
>>
>>51682728
>The Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) is an industry standard client/server interface that allows networked computers that are not yet loaded with an operating system to be configured and booted remotely by an administrator.
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/Preboot-Execution-Environment

>He doesn't have a home server to take care of all his OS installing needs through a 1 gbps LAN connection
>>
>>51682728
Sorry for delay, college classes.
Anyway...
You wanna install Linux first and leave however much space you want for windows, unallocated when partitioning.
After that, install grub normally and then install os-prober and run it.
After os-prober, run update-grub (or whatever the command is) to update the grub entries
>>
Use refind. It is the easiest way.
I dual boot Win10/funtoo without problem.

I believe there is a how to in the gentoo (or funtoo) wiki.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.