[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I am trying to upgrade my processor from the AMD A4 to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Capture.png (37 KB, 654x521) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
37 KB, 654x521
So I am trying to upgrade my processor from the AMD A4 to the Athlon X4 860k.

But when I put the new processor on, my computer shows nothing and fails POST. I get 1 long beep following 3 short ones.

I am stumped on what to do because I checked the Motherboards manufacturers website and it says that it is compatible since F5 version, and the bios version is F6, so I honestly have no Idea what to do. I tried to reset CMOS after the update and everything by taking the battery out and putting it back in to reset it and still nothing. I really need help because I will be damned if I had spent $67 for nothing on this new CPU.

Spec provided.
>>
Take out all bar one ram stick.
>>
>>51680254
Are you sure you have FM2+?
your cpu is FM2, the 860k is FM2+
>>
>>51680414
A88X should be FM2+. His mobo is one of the best for that socket.
>>
>>51680414
The mobo is Fm2+ so it definitely should be compatible.
>>
>>51680254
Do you have a seperate graphics card?
>>
>>51680571
I don't. This is a budget build.
>>
>>51680578
Athlons don't have integrated GPUs. You have to buy a graphics card.
>>
>>51680578
You are aware that the reason the Athlon 860K is cheaper than A-series processors with the same number of cores and clock speeds is that it doesn't have an integrated GPU?

It's meant as a cheaper option for people who want better graphics than what's possible with integrated graphics*, it won't work without a seperate GPU. Retard.

*integrated graphics have to use the system's DDR3 memory as VRAM. DDR3 is bad at being VRAM so it places a hard limit on integrated graphics performance that even relatively cheap graphics cards using GDDR5 can exceed.
>>
>>51680594
Well god damn.

I do not PC game at all so is it just possible to buy a cheap ass graphics card and call it a day?
>>
>>51680254
1 long beep and 3 short beeps is the GPU failure code.

Which means you don't have a GPU.
>>
>>51680621
Yes, any PCI-E gpu will work.
>>
>>51680621
If you don't game *at all* yes, just get the cheapest PCIe GPU with the right monitor connection you can find. A used one off ebay might be a good bet, or ask around and see if any friends have an old one sitting around.
>>
>>51680621
Yeah, just buy the cheapest one you can find that is supported by your OS of choice.
>>
>>51680634
>>51680643
>>51680645

Sweet. Thanks /g/.
>>
>>51680665

Just make sure if you get a gpu that requires additional power your psu has the required conenctors.
>>
>>51680682
to be fair i'd be surprised if the cheapest gpu available needed that
>>
Yeah get something cheap. Less than 20$ l. Maybe consider dual displays in the future -- but without the need to game any old pcie gpu will do
>>
>>51680695

I would as well, but if the information helps cut down on further fuck ups the better.
>>
Lol not intel
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.