[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey everyone, I'm going to be making a huge life changing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 71y7M5kV-cL._SL1500_.jpg (117 KB, 1500x1014) Image search: [Google]
71y7M5kV-cL._SL1500_.jpg
117 KB, 1500x1014
Hey everyone, I'm going to be making a huge life changing purchase (Poorfag here) on a laptop and you guys get to decide which it is. I'm going for a gaming-ish laptop with the best bang for my buck, here are my two choices:

Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-592G-71ZL

vs

Asus GL552VW

They are both rocking similar pricetags, both have GTX 960s, however the Asus is running 16 gig of ram. However, from what I can tell the Asus has 2g less dedicated memory on its graphics card.

It's obvious that I'm terrible at this, feel free to rip me a new one. Also a PC isn't an option for me because I move around A LOT.
>>
Military or just unstable home life?
Get the Acer
>>
File: 1392699171490.jpg (25 KB, 448x324) Image search: [Google]
1392699171490.jpg
25 KB, 448x324
>Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-592G-71ZL
lol.

>Asus GL552VW
dahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>51676324
yes laughing chinese girl, he's going to make a decision, start computing, and get on with his life.
Imagine that.
>>
>>51676384
> making a huge life changing purchase
he should just make a life changing decision to stop sitting on his butt all day and go outside.
>>
>>51676171

More of the second, would rather not talk about it.
Awesome, thanks for the input.

>>51676417
Isn't it a little ironic to bash computers in a technology forum?
>>
>>51676001
Get the Acer. 2GB VRAM will make a bigger difference.

You can always upgrade to a PCI-e M.2 SSD and additional DDR4 RAM at a way later point to keep your purchase relevant to the times.
>>
>>51676463

Okay awesome, thanks for the input. I was reading some articles on dedicated graphics card ram and it's a little too deep for me to get. I had someone tell me I absolutely HAVE to switch over to a SSD, so that would be my next purchase.
>>
>>51676521
You don't _have_ to, but it's the single biggest upgrade you can make to either laptop. They're both 6700HQ processors, and it doesn't get any better than that for Skylake laptops. You also can't upgrade VRAM for graphics cards, so the Acer will have the edge over the Asus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147466

950 Pro 256gb is what you'd want for the SSD. It's still pricey, but I'd hope next year that it drops close to $120 or so.

They're both stuck on mechanical hard drives, which is worse for laptops since they're in 2.5" form factor. It'll make your OS and programs launch/react more responsively, but it won't increase game FPS.
>>
>>51676622
Oh and keep in mind you might still want to buy some kind of cooling stand for the laptop. The thinner gaming laptops can still get pretty warm. Something like the Notepal U3 is good enough and affordable.

Also, a laptop bag/backpack that can fit 16" laptops. It's a 15.6" screen, but the bezels are large, so the width of the laptop is more akin to a 16" laptop.

My friend bought one one just prior to Black Friday and I recommended the Acer to him as well for $800 at the time.
>>
>>51676622

Awesome, I haven't actually been able to buy a new computer since 2006 so I'm really trying to make this one count. Have many years do you think the 960 gtx be applicable? Also since you seem to know a lot, do you know if I'd be able to run both the SSD and the original?

Also I award you 5 points to gryffindor
>>
>>51676696
>do you know if I'd be able to run both the SSD and the original?
Yes, you can.

There's a 2.5" drive occupied by the 1TB mechanical hard drive that it comes with.

It also comes with an M.2 slot that's unoccupied. That's where you'd put the M.2 sized SSD.

>Have many years do you think the 960 gtx be applicable?
0 to 5 years.

It really depends on your standards for graphical quality in games. There are still people I know who use 5 year old laptops to play League of Legends on lowest settings and they're fine with that. There are some people I know who can't stand playing games on anything less than maxed out, and even current gen laptops won't max current gen games out.

If you're okay with medium settings everywhere, it'll be good for 3 years. Okay with low settings everywhere, it'll be good for 4 years. Okay with lowest settings everywhere, it'll be good for 5 years or more.

The only reason people buy new computers (outside of total hardware failure) is because their hardware can't keep up with the software they want to run. When you feel it's more worthwhile to buy something faster happens is a personal call.

But as you should know about a laptop, any upgrade you make to it will hardly affect game FPS. You're only going to be able to change out RAM and storage.
>>
>>51676001
The data says Asus laptops last longer, if you're a poorfag for real then I'd go for that
>>
>>51676790
I've had pretty bad experience with Acer. SO seconding this.
>>
>>51676790
He makes a valid point. You may want to go with the one that has the longest warranty on it. Hopefully 2 years or more.
>>
I just bought the i7559 for $700 last week with a 4gb 960M and Skylake quad core and it's fucking amazing for the price, in particular the cooling is really good compared to my last laptop. If I was paying $1000 for a laptop like those in the OP I would want a 965m at least
>>
File: suicidal_thoughts.png (40 KB, 157x106) Image search: [Google]
suicidal_thoughts.png
40 KB, 157x106
>>51676001
>gaming laptop
Kill yourself.
>>
>>51676001
>poorfag
>gaming laptop

This is why you're poor - you make bad decisions.
>>
>>51676001
Acer will most likely melt after 3 hours of use, get Asus.
>>
>>51676001
stop being poor and get a retina macbook pro
>>
Watch out for DDR3 VRAM, last gen 850Ms had either 4GB DDR3 (slow) or 2GB GDDR5 (much faster).

>>51676848
Can confirm Acer laptops being shit, this one broke down after two months of shitposting. Since it was repaired, it works fine
>>
>>51676001
960m Gaming laptop owner reporting
Get one with 4gb vram if you want to play new future titles
Games now demand 3gb vram for 1080p but can confirm that games only uses 2500mb of vram max on 1080p.
It also depends of the game some good port titles like madmax only use 1gb of vram even on high
Sometimes i think 4gb is too much for this card bc i cant fully use it without fps drops
Just make sure is gddr5
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.