[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally got a replacement for my old Sata2 SSD from 2009. Will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.png (543 KB, 799x692) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
543 KB, 799x692
Finally got a replacement for my old Sata2 SSD from 2009.

Will this last me another 6 years?
>>
File: Capture2.png (541 KB, 800x692) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
541 KB, 800x692
>>51673417
Pic related, old SSD.

After some 30 TiB writes over 6 years, it's still working flawlessly. Considering that it was a second generation SSD, it should have failed 5 years ago, according to 'the popular opinion about SSD reliability'.
>>
>>51673449
Correcting that.
About 80 TiB and 50000 power on hours.
>>
>>51673417
>>51673449
I like how the industry standard disk benchmarking program was created by a massive waifufag otaku and has anime all over it.
>>
>>51673586
Who the hell is she, anyway?
>>
>>51673417
What SSD?, 950 Pro, SM951?
>>
>>51674856
The program is called Crystal Disk Mark, and the lady is called Shizuku.
The have a clean edition, and one featuring their mascot.

>>51674871
950 Pro.
Passed on 750 because price/performance. It IS a more powerful SSD and higher quality, but utilizes a enterprise controller, which hurts desktop performance somewhat.
SM951 is a OEM drive, which can only be purchased without warranty or support, and it suffers from issues resolved in the 950 Pro.
>>
>>51674927
>lady is called Shizuku
Yeah, but does she exist outside of CrystalDewWorld?
He called him a waifufag, but you can't make your own waifu. There are laws against that.
>>
>>51675037
Like I care, I don't know about any laws. Fancy what you like to fancy, I guess.
>>
>>51673417
I'd rather buy the 2TB Samsung Evo drive.
>>
Buying a SSD was the best thing I ever did.
>>
>>51673417
Probably. I'm going for a 1TB 950 Pro next year while we wait for Xpoint.
>>
>>51675212
Personally I wouldn't buy the Evo drive. Samsung Pro or, better, intel.
Personally, I don't see myself needing 2 TB for programs any time soon. I've got 6+2 TB of HDD space for storage, and 512 GB is a LOT of programs. Using SSD space for data storage is a waste of money.

>>51675231
Absolutely agree. Then again, SSDs are standard nowadays, but 6 years ago it felt even better.

>>51675274
Thought about waiting for the 1 TB model. But I don't see myself needing the space any time soon. I can just Raid 0 two of those 512 GB drives if it comes to that. Gives me better performance, too.
>>
File: Gin sees the Universe.gif (3 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
Gin sees the Universe.gif
3 MB, 350x197
>>51675231
>mfw Andrew's OS book opened my eyes for faster storage always
Jesus Christ, we're so bottlenecked by storage it's ridiculous.
>>
>>51675346
I wouldn't be surprised if system memory and SSD storage merged into one within the next 10 years.
RAM will probably get replaced by some on-die 'level 4 cache' that's somewhat like HBM on the Fury cards.
>>
>>51674927
>clean
>not heretical
>>
>>51675386
Broadwell has that l4 edram, sadly it haven't present in skylake. But I bet they will implement it in kaby lake / cannonlake.
>>
>>51675346
>bottlenecked by storage
Not particularly
>>
>>51673417
Xpoint might pick up in less than 6 years. Intel says they will be bringing out SSDs to the market with Xpoint in 2016 and dims that function as the classical system memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0JUCjd_t_0

Given that it's definitely going to be more expensive that NAND but less than DRAM, we could see people adopting huge amounts of RAM for a cheaper price, bringing the overall cost down. SSDs will be stupid expensive, but I'm sure the enterprise would love to have stupid fast storage examples being Facebook, Twitter, or any site that requires not sending huge amounts of data but sending data as quickly as possible. I'm a little hype for 2016 with Xpoint, Zen, and the really needed shrinking of the GPUs.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.