[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: fbibeastie.gif (8 KB, 166x200) Image search: [Google]
fbibeastie.gif
8 KB, 166x200
Why aren't you using a True Free OS like BSD instead of GNU/Linux, which is only free as long as you obey Stallman, /g/?
>>
>>51672936
But I already am anon :3
>>
>>51672953
>OSX is a BSD
nice meme
>>
I'm hoping someone can help me this.

I've been trying to create a crypto softraid live USB of OpenBSD, so I could have some neat encrypted portable UNIX ready for use, but for some reason the installboot part just will NOT work. It will not install the bootloader to the USB drive and it also won't boot. What gives?
>>
>>51672936
GNU/Linux is free forever. Stop spreading misinformation.
>>
>>51673595
>free forever
...as long as all software stays GPL and the FSF never goes under. :^)

Enjoying your dictatorship, GNUfag?
>>
Nice binary blobs
>>
>>51674082
this
all that fucking bullshit stallman is doing to protect his user from installing nonfree software, codecs and ofc hardware drivers in incredbile.
His is reason why linux is so dead, i hope so less autistic person as spokemen will guide linux to steam os, hdcp and video games like vulcan
>>
>>51674082
>stays GPL
Exactly the point. Apple can't rip you off.
>FSF goes under
Spoken like a true dumbass shill. Fuck off, kike
>>
>>51674134
muh dick
>>
>>51674082
What are you trying to say? FSF has no impact on the license of existing software. If a software exists with a given GPL license, there's no provision to restrict that software after the fact.
>>
>>51672936
this is your friendly reminder that OpenBSD is insecure and that you should use FreeBSD instead.
https://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
>>
>>51674232
>2010
IT'S
2 0 1 5
>>
>>51672936
>>51674082
stallman doesn't care about the license as long as its free software.
>>
>>51674232
>Thoughts on being possibly transgendered
>>
>>51674256
>no jails
>FreeBSD can do anything that OpenBSD can do
>all OpenBSD has to offer is its meme auditing that gets ruined by installing anything
>>
>>51674261
then why did he make GPLv3 which only works with copyleft licenses?
>>
>>51674277
I already run FreeBSD. At least you are listing shit instead of posting nearly 6-year-old articles now though.
>>
>>51674317
it depends on the license. A lot of licenses are compatible with GPL.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html
>>
>>51674177
>Apple can't rip you off.
Why do you care if companies want to use free code in their proprietary software? You don't have to use their software, you know. And it's not like Apple is 'stealing' when they donate generously to BSD foundations.

>Fuck off, kike
Mad as fuck. Go back to /pol/.
>>
>>51674277
>still ignoring that openbsd is getting a hypervisor which can pretty much serve the same purpose
>>
File: 1442784525989.png (267 KB, 1069x1081) Image search: [Google]
1442784525989.png
267 KB, 1069x1081
>>51674363
if you are OK with companies taking your code and putting it into proprietary software, without as much as giving you a check or thank you for it, you're a C.U.C.K. It's the same thing as being OK with your wife or gf being fucked by the bull.
>>
>>51674387
what part of true freedom do you not understand? the code is there for all to use, that's the point. stallman's licenses are not really free and practically just as restrictive as copyright
>>
>>51674343
GPL is only compatible one way though. GPL code can absorb other code but it can't contribute back. The author has to either make an exception which fucks over other people or relicense the contributions under the original license.
>>
>>51674422
how many checks are you going to receive if your projects got put into windows 10 or the next OS X?
>>
>>51674453
Do you not understand that the BSD license is a hobbyist license?

Look at the OpenBSD people, they only do this shit because they enjoy doing it, that's all, if people like what they do, they can take it and they don't care.
>>
>>51674387
BSD devs don't care about that. They prefer that people use their code rather than having to jump through legal hurdles. BSD devs operate under the assumption that devs will eventually contribute back anyway because maintaining an entire OS in house is hard as fuck.
>>
>>51674373
oh wow, after years of bitching about how secure chroot is (it's not, it's shit) and how you don't need jails, he finally bends over and adds pledge and hypervisor. Too little too late faggot. FreeBSD for lyfe.
>>
>>51674573
>HE DOESNT HAVE JAIL
>fine geez we'll implement them stop harassing us
>HAHA FAGGOT YOU IMPLEMENTED THEM
every thread you pull the same shit
>>
>>51674573
jails are a placebo and a poor replacement for using a real vm
>>
>>51672953
If OSX is BSD, then so is Windows.
>>
>>51674636
Don't jails actually use the same kernel you're using on the real machine, too?

That sounds like a security hole/design flaw to me.
>>
>>51673109
I'm going to give you some honesty. OpenBSD is not the best choice for you if you can't get it installed.

Better off picking something simpler to install and administer, and then graduate to OpenBSD.
>>
>>51674681
I have been using it for a few months now.

I think what truly happened is they fucked up the snapshot. I read the misc mailing list and someone else had problems with installboot around the same time. Wouldn't be the first time a snapshot got fucked up for me, too.

Yes, I do realize there's no guarantee for them to work.
>>
>>51674636
Jails aren't even the same thing as a VM though. They're basically an alternative userland that runs with limited privileges compared to the main one.

>>51674667
It uses the same kernel, in theory it's not as safe as a VM but it's a heck of a lot lighter on resources.
>>
Implying I actually care about the licence for the OS.

Implying I don't have a BSD box I use regularly.
>>
>>51674592
>>51674636
face it, OpenBSD will never be secure compared to FreeBSD. Even with the meme programs like pledge and hypervisor, both of which are shit.
>>
>>51675016
>openbsd doesnt have those
>yeah it will soon
>those are memes
why are you so autistic, what drives you to do this
>>
>>51675027
OpenBSD is like gentoo, everything it does will either be a meme, shit, or both.
>>
I can't figure out which firewall rules to impliment to make my pfsense box work. So as opposed to draining my power for no reason it's collecting dust somewhere.
>>
>>51675027
also, jails are the reason why FreeBSD is immune to getting hacked.
>>
>>51675092
lol
>>
>>51675016
Pledge is great. When a program calls pledge it declares that all system calls except a select few are off limits to that program. Even if that program is compromised later it cannot initiate one of those system calls, the kernel will slap it down. It's great and it only requires like 4 lines added to the initialization stage of a program. Compared to a lot of openbsd's projects pledge is pretty painless and it has a lot of potential for good even outside of openbsd.
>>
oh look it's the shitposter with his stale memes that he posts every single thread

>>51674277
>>51674573
>no jails
jails are a placebo, useful in some situations but too high granularity

>FreeBSD can do anything that OpenBSD can do
freebsd still has no aslr, inferior pie, inferior stack protection, inferior memory protection. their binary packages are better than they used to be but still not generally as easy to use as openbsd's. their "performance over security at all costs" mentality comes back to bite them as usual

>all OpenBSD has to offer is its meme auditing that gets ruined by installing anything
wrong, openbsd provides great tooling and useful security features (aslr, pie, stack protection, guard pages, etc) that work on every package in the tree

>oh wow, after years of bitching about how secure chroot is (it's not, it's shit)
nope, privsep+chroot is provably more secure than jails. pledge makes it even stronger. if you run file(1) as root in a jail and get compromised, your whole jail is compromised. if you run openbsd's file as root and get compromised, the attacker gets... an empty directory, under a chroot, as a user with no privileges

>he finally bends over and adds pledge and hypervisor.
pledge has nothing to do with jails, if anything it's a response to capsicum. you know, that thing that requires extensive rewriting of your program, so there are what, 6 capsicumed programs? 12? in openbsd there are a couple hundred pledged programs

the hypervisor isn't added as a security feature, it's added to... have a hypervisor. you know, for running VMs, because that's a useful thing sometimes. but it's not a security feature
>>
Just wanted to say that permissive licenses are the worst of both worlds and actually hurt everyone.

1. If a program uses sotfware with a permissive license the source code does not have to be shared with the user.

2. If a company uses permissive software in their project they:

will have less work to do since they can just close source it and tell the end-users to go fuck themselves, so not only are the end-users being fucked over but there are less jobs fore developers since if a company wants to be an asshole and not be open about what they're doing they can just use permissivly license software.

Literally the only benefit being "well then they will send back patches or donate", but 99% of the time they don't and will continue not to. It's so obviously bad.
>>
>>51674657
No, that would make Windows VMS.
>>
>>51677750
Wow, that is the most retarded pile of shit I've read all day. It's a lot cheaper for companies to contribute as much as possible upstream, since that means they don't have to have people employed just to maintain a big ass patch tree or even worse a fork of an entire operating system. Which is why most of them do just that.
>>
File: fbsdupdate.webm (355 KB, 617x526) Image search: [Google]
fbsdupdate.webm
355 KB, 617x526
I do.

Only on servers though, I use Windows and sometimes MacOS* on the desktop.

I avoid Linux and its community like the plague.
>>
Why would I use a BSD when the vastly superior OS X exists? Also BSD is shit. I've already replaced the shitty BSD coreutils with the GNU ones in my OS X.
>>
>>51678655
That means practically fuck all since most of them do nothing that will affect upstream anyway.

So the devs still have less jobs and the users still get fucked over. GG retard.
>>
so FreeBSD, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD, and NetBSD are the "big four", yes? How important and relevant is PC-BSD? What about Darwin?
>>
>>51675184
>backpedaling
>damage control
maximum lels
>>
>>51678655
>contribute as much as possible upstream
like sony contributing so much to freebsd, amirite?
>>
>>51682274
What did you expect from an OpenBSD user. He's just mad because he can't install anything without ruining the meme security.
>>
>>51682229
PC-BSD is basically what Ubuntu is to Debian, as far as I know Darwin is pretty dead.
>>
>>51682229
>>51682397
PC-BSD is basically a preconfigured FreeBSD, its not a fork.

PureDarwin is still a thing, but most development comes from apple.
Its kind of a shame because a good userland on top of darwin (on top of a macbook pro) would/could be an amazing experience.

FreeBSD is the all-round BSD with goals comparable to GNU/Linux
DragonflyBSD and OpenBSD are usable but also research OSes.
NetBSD is a highly portable OS, one can only hope it becomes a recognized standard within the IoT community.
>>
>>51682274
>>51682299
samefag
>>
>>51682953
>PureDarwin
so the original darwin apple started is dead?
>>
File: 1438887972581.jpg (598 KB, 3000x2400) Image search: [Google]
1438887972581.jpg
598 KB, 3000x2400
>>51682997
If OpenBSD is so great, then why is her anime tan a whore?
>>
>>51682953
>one can only hope it becomes a recognized standard within the IoT community

That would be nice but it would be really nice to get NetBSD for mmu-less hardware.

>>51683085
She is just a tease, good luck finding any holes on her to exploit.
>>
>>51683041
not dead but forked to hell and back
>>
>>51683085

What a fucking ugly drawing
>>
File: ps3-wallpaper-sony-killed-tux.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
ps3-wallpaper-sony-killed-tux.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
Linux crybabies are like Jehovah Witnesses
>>
File: Tsurt Ew Ilad Ni_ March 2004.jpg (41 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Tsurt Ew Ilad Ni_ March 2004.jpg
41 KB, 800x600
>>51683322
Check em' linux crybabies.
>>
>>51683041
Apple still releases darwin when they release a new OSX.
But Darwin isn't an OS, its basically the very bottom layer of OSX (I want to say Kernel but some nerd would correct me).

PureDarwin's goal is providing a usable version of Darwin (eg. Bootable ISO).
But it has really never taken off.
>>
>>51683197
someone should draw a better one, I like the way they all were drawn, but it could be drawn better.
>>
>>51683322
>>51683352
edgy
>>
>>51674681
lik wut
>>
>>51683413
guess someone could always commission a drawfag

but thats a waste of money
>>
senpaitachi
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.