[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best programming language to learn right now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 8
File: 76576575.jpg (53 KB, 600x618) Image search: [Google]
76576575.jpg
53 KB, 600x618
>>
Cobal
>>
>>51669466
Java
>>
>>51669466
C++
>>
Javascript
>>
>>51669466
C#
>>
>>51669466
C, just learn C
>>
C#
>>
All code with "C"
>>
>>51669466
i want to fuck her
>>
>>51669466
Clojure
>>
C#
>>
>>51669466
gentoo
>>
>>51669466
Is that Nef?

In answer to your question: When I was applying to colleges for CS, a lot of them required either Javascript or Python. C++ is always a good place to start though.
>>
>>51669559
Which one?
>>
>>51669466
Javascript

It's the answer you need but not the answer you want.
>>
>>51669559
>race mixer
absolutely disgusting
>>
Java.
>>
>>51669782
the one in the back doesn't look like a girl to me
>>
File: 9432941234.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
9432941234.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>51669789
>Not wanting to impregnate a sexy castiza

You don't even know what you're missing anon.
>>
>>51669466
lua
>>
>>51669495
>>51669517
These and Scala
>>
>>51669466
Go
C
Erlang
OCaml
Assembly (x86_64)
Assembly (ARM)
APL
COBOL (because massive jewbucks when all the old COBOL guys retire/kick off)
>>
>being classkek
https://0x0.st/-jp.webm
>>
>>51669466
HTML AND CSS
>>
File: 1447600266290.jpg (16 KB, 252x317) Image search: [Google]
1447600266290.jpg
16 KB, 252x317
Go
>>
machine code
>>
Swift
>>
>>51670080
>go
To hell
>>
File: 1448124427679.gif (89 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1448124427679.gif
89 KB, 256x256
>>51670225
What's wrong with Go?
>>
>>51669474
this, my dad wrote all kinds of business apps in cobal.

Shit is the language of business!
>>
>>51669466
who is this semen demon?
>>
>>51669466
Python and Ruby on Rails.
>>
>>51670252
>COmmon Business-Oriented Language
>the language of business
somehow this isn't surprising
>>
javascript is cancer. always will be
>>
Brainfuck
>>
javascript

javascript is supported on the most platforms, because it runs on anything at a web browser can run on (aka everything)

code in other languages (such as C++) can be compiled to javascript

it's the fastest interpreted language by far and almost half as fast as C++

in terms of features it has pretty much everything you want

the only downside it, it's almost as badly-designed as PHP and ruby. but it is getting better
>>
>>51669466
Verilog :^)
>>
>>51669466
Go
>>
>>51670387
>lay rubi i bad maymay
>>
>>51670387
>javascript
fuck you
>>
>>51670387
>almost half as fast as C++
this is a good thing?
>>
Unpopular opinion but I would say javascript.

It's not going anywhere any time soon.

It's being improved upon to a respectable degree.

It's easy to literally open up your console in chrome and mess with it.

Playing with javascript on a simple web page gives you immediate feedback and positive reinforcement which is important when learning new things.

It's versatile enough to do most of anything you as an individual would need to do in the browser or the server.

The ecosystem is incredibly big and continues to grow.

There's an absurd amount of documentation and other learning materials that exist for it.
>>
File: csharp_unity_500_400_v1.png (463 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
csharp_unity_500_400_v1.png
463 KB, 500x400
>>51669466
>>
>>51671736
if you're going to go with javascript, at least fucking say TypeScript
>>
Swift went open source today and y'all faggots only mentioned it once it this thread. Smdh
>>
C++ is the only real answer and also the only real language.
>>
>>51669466
go
>>
>>51669466

ASKING THIS QUESTION WITHOUT ANY CONTEXT IS USELESS.

Programming to become a developer or programming for pen-testing/hacking for instance?
>>
Haskell.

Functional is the future!
>>
>>51669820
Neither do you
>>
>>51670966
>it's the fastest interpreted language by far
>>
>>51674391
>>C

Fixed that for you
>>
>>51674423
what language makes the dankest memes
>>
doesn't fucking matter.

they are all fucking similar except for some meme bullshit design choice that you cal learn in like a day.
>>
>>51670387
>code in other languages (such as C++) can be compiled to javascript
Yes, that's part of Turing completeness. It's true of every language listed in this thread so far: all of them can be used to implement all the others. JavaScript isn't some special snowflake becuse of that.
>>
>>51669466
autism
>>
>/g/ WHAT IS THE BEST [THING]
I've been here too long, it's always been shit, but I swear a quarter of the threads are arbitrary comparisons like this.

The worst part is these threads will never go away because there is no answer
>>
To be honest, even though I posted this:

>>51674423

the correct answer to cover all bases and make future language-learning easy is to learn C, C++, and Python.

C++ for regular dev stuff, C because it's the classic, almost all open source projects are in C, and it is just very useful for pen-testing and all sorts of other stuff + the basis of pretty much all languages. Python because it is a good scripting language and you have to know a scripting language.

If you know these three you can learn a new language in a very short amount of time.

The key is to think of things in 'how do I figure out this problem', not 'how do I figure out this problem in a certain language'. And then you just figure out how to do it in whatever language is required of you for work/for the project; or whatever one you choose to use if it's personal.

Oh and then after those three learn Javascript because internet blahblahblah.
>>
no meme answer, depends on what you do professionally.

65% of all the "code" I write are shell scripts.

when they aren't shell scripts, they are python since 99% of the time I can find some lib like pynag, python-jenkins, etc to solve problems I deal with daily.

if you do web shit, javascript or Java is pretty much all but guaranteed.

other niche fields may require things like C.
>>
>>51674599
Stop polluting /g with facts and valid arguments!
>>
>>51674679

Well you being a pro dev (or something professional) is this shit or good advice? >>51674599
>>
>>51674699
I don't see why not.

C and C++ is pretty straightforward and shouldn't take you long to figure it out.
>>
>>51669789
f*cking epic XD
>>
>>51669789
>not saying miscegenation
>>
>>51674797
C, yes, you can learn it and hold it all in your head in a short time. C++ is a giant quagmire though. Learning the part you need is one thing, but I don't think anyone has a handle on the whole thing, stl and all.
>>
>>51674908

No one really needs a handle on an entire language.

They need to be able to figure out HOW to do stuff (ie: pseudo-code) and then change their pseudo-code into real-code via research on new aspects of the language they don't know.

Real life isn't an exam situation where you have to have everything memorized; you need to be an actual good thinker, not 'know everything about the language'.

GOOGLE knows everything about the language.
>>
>>51674908
ok fine true.

I never bothered with C++ since my problem domain doesn't require it anyhow.

but yes, C is fucking easy as shit.
>>
>>51669466
C is still the best one out there.
Python if you want to relax.
>>
>>51674958
I like ruby over python. But yeah. I write in ruby, profile, re write the slow parts as a C extension.

Life is good.
>>
bjarne streukopf, the maker of c++ said you should learn atleast 5....
>>
>>51675048
https://youtu.be/86xWVb4XIyE?t=457
>>
>>51673712
>shillscript
>>
C#

Mono has made it the leader of cross platform compatibility. Write in C# and you have every platform except mobile, pay xamarin stupid amounts of money and then you get iOS and Android too.

Now if only C# was as fast as Go...
>>
>>51674465
Lua
>>
Go is the language C++ should have been.

Why Go:
- Faster than anything for the programmer and the CPU
- Simple as hell. No full retard OOP or FP. Just simple tools that can be used with either of those paradigms

Why Not Go:
- Name is fucking retarded. Impossible to search for anything without saying "golang"
- Not widely accepted by enterprises

What instead:
- If you want enterprises, Java
- If you want to be able to learn any language, C++, though it's decreasing in popularity
- If you want to gamble with your time and effort, Rust
- If you want to kill yourself, PHP <= 5.6
- If you want to kill yourself less, PHP 7
>>
>>51669466
Learn an OOP language(Java,c++,etc.) as a starting point to familiarize yourself with how a computer 'thinks'. then you can learn more OOP crap because they don't differ much in terms of syntax between languages, or move on to learn more difficult and useful languages. Never stop educating yourself.
>>
For what purpose OP? Money?, Optimization?, Re-usability?, Speed of execution? Robustness? Question mark parsing?
>>
>>51675970
>OOP
>How a computer thinks
>>
Perl
also Pascal
>>
>>51669466
Assembly
>>
>>51670262
which one?
>>
>>51673712
Shut the fuck up you tard hippy coder
>>
Honestly OP asking this question is going to hild you back just put "javascript", "C" and "java" into a hat and randomly pick one then dive into it. This is a huge problem that turns noobs off of coding. Just pick one and after the first one the rest will be easy
>>
>>51670111
not even real programming languages
>>
>>51676704
The girl
>>
>>51676019
Speed and reliability
>>
>>51669466
>Best language

Learn several languages across several paradigms. If you learn one, settle, and become a zealotrous blowhard, you're a bad programmer.

The only time one language is okay is if you learn Python to write scripts for stuff in your life or as an addition to maybe design skills.
>>
>>51670387
>ruby
>badly designed
>>
>>51669466
Visual basic
>>
Haskell.

>>51674447
Functional is the present. Everyone else needs to catch up.
>>
File: Smug.png (142 KB, 511x564) Image search: [Google]
Smug.png
142 KB, 511x564
>>51677013
>girl
Looks trans to me
>>
assembly and c/c++/c#

Java is gud too
>>
>>51669517
>>51669524
>>51669641
>>51670222
>>51675714
What's up with swift/C#, can't you see you will get keked by using lock-in languages? Your programming is a marketing stunt.
>>
>>51669466
I use windows 10
>>
I started off with C++, I liked it, but I realised it would take me at least 5 years to get to an employable level.

So I switched to web stuff (Javascript, etc), where at least you can get to a decent/employable level in about 2 years. And it's actually possible for one guy to build a whole project by himself in a reasonable period of time, compared to compiled languages, where if you work on something complex and you're not working in a team, it's gonna take you months.
>>
File: 1443058569829.png (322 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
1443058569829.png
322 KB, 546x700
>>51669789
out to >>>/pol/
>>
>>51673712
You mean Angular and Express amirite.
>>
>>51679751
But mono...
>>
Java or Javascript?

>tfw third world country
>pascal taught in some college courses
>>
>>51669789
she's OK

kids will look fine.
>>
>>51669517
>>51669524
>>51669641
>>51675714
>>51679652
Avoid C#, its adaption is declining and it lacks the big cross-plattform ecosystem like Java has. Popularity has dropped steadily from 8% to 4% in the last several years.
>>
>>51680420
Pascal is a well-written language, its a shame it didn't catch on.

Distinction between procedures and functions, and nested functions is something any other language should have too.
>>
>>51680500
What do you mean it lacks cross platform? Its more cross platform than Java is. I think the pretending mono doesn't exist is some cruel troll that rustles me every time.
>>
>>51680537
What's the difference? (Legit question, I don't know)
>>
>>51680544
I don't mean the plattform I mean the ecosystem of libraries and applications.
Cross plattform doesn't come for free when you use C# like it does with Java. You need to actively avoid certain core libraries or frameworks that will only work on Windows, and for a long time you also needed to avoid certain language features that weren't yet supported with Mono.

I actually once tried to use C# to write a cross-plattform desktop app with Mono, its main purpose was to display a few data points in a graph from certain calculations. Since there is no WPF, I needed to do it with GTK#, and there seemed to be exactly one .NET library that would work with Mono and also have GTK bindings, and is wasn't updated for over a year. Meanwhile in Java land there are dozents of charting libraries I could have choosen from.

>I think the pretending mono doesn't exist is some cruel troll that rustles
I've never claimed that. You still need to acknowledge that the performance and support on other plattforms for C# is sub-par. Mono is noticeably less performant than the JVM (see benchamrksgame) on any plattform than Windows.

>Its more cross platform than Java is
In what way is that true? The JVM has been ported to much more plattforms than the CLR.
>>
>>51680588
>Procedures can have side effect but don't return any value.
>Functions calculate a value but don't have any side effects.
This is great for arguing about the correctness of an application, as you have concrete information about a functions behavior. A function can be called as often as needed, or not called at all and you can be sure that it won't make any difference.

Inner functions are just functions defined inside of other functions,to avoid code-duplication or spagetthi.
>>
>>51680500
C# and Java's syntax is extremely similar.

Going to Java from C# is the easiest language switch ever. You're overreacting.
>>
>>51680637
You could have used a a.net graphing library...
Most use gdi, not DirectX.
And gdi is implemented in mono. (System.Drawing)

You don't know shit about a.net and probably c#.
Java monkey.
>>
>>51669466
Scratch
>>
>>51680686
>GDI
yeah, writing a plotting library from scratch is a viable option.
>>
>>51680691
>Scratch
That's what the hackers build the Linux from.
>>
>>51680664
Not him.
Java has way less little convenient features. My first caveat was using == on strings. Then the whole int/Integer thing. Fucking classes in separate files, ugh. Nothing even remotely resembling linq. I could go on and on.
>>
>>51680637
>You need to actively avoid certain core libraries or frameworks that will only work on Windows, and for a long time you also needed to avoid certain language features that weren't yet supported with Mono.
Ill bite. Besides WPF, what isn't supported by Mono? ASP works up to 5.2, so don't bother mentioning that.

>like it does with Java
Kind of like the lwjgl? Nah, man, just nah.

>Since there is no WPF, I needed to do it with GTK#, and there seemed to be exactly one .NET library that would work with Mono and also have GTK bindings, and is wasn't updated for over a year.
GTK# sucks (but so does WPF, if I wanted to write a web app I would), okay, but have you looked into Xamarin? That's mostly tested on mono. If not, why didn't you delve into WinForms and just deal with the fact there's no visual editor?

>I've never claimed that. You still need to acknowledge that the performance and support on other plattforms for C# is sub-par.
Support maybe, but Xamarin will start working on it when they stop trying to draw money from the FOSS community. Performance? Nah, mono on Linux is faster than .NET on Windows. Besides, most of us use mono for webapps, there's like thousands of web libraries for C# and all the best ones are tested with mono.

>In what way is that true? The JVM has been ported to much more plattforms than the CLR.
Certain libraries aren't cross platform, that kills it. Also, Dalvik/art isn JVM, it just uses the same language.

When xamarin stops trying to charge, you'll change your tune. It'll happen man, just let it.
>>
>>51680662
I don't know if I understood correctly but from your post I get:
Functions calculate stuff and return a value but do not alter the flow of the program. They get input data, process it in some way and spit output data you may use with other functions or procedures. Everything (function data and code) lives inside the function as long as it is being executed and is like in a vaucumm.
Procedures are the code lines that make the program work, they call the functions and they modify whatever data the program may be using. These modifications are permanent as they're done on some kind of "global" program data.
Is that correct?
>>
File: 1442841078498.png (5 KB, 150x100) Image search: [Google]
1442841078498.png
5 KB, 150x100
PHP
>>
>>51680737
>If not, why didn't you delve into WinForms and just deal with the fact there's no visual editor?
It was a 1 or 2 day project, I had not time to delve into anything I just wanted a working solution as fast as possible.

>Ill bite. Besides WPF, what isn't supported by Mono? ASP works up to 5.2, so don't bother mentioning that.
I've tried a few third party libraries that weren't specifically saying they support Mono, they would just cause a segmentation fault at some point.

>Performance? Nah, mono on Linux is faster than .NET on Windows.
Go look at alioth's benchamrks, JVM beats Mono in all areas, sometimes even by a significant margin.
>>
>>51677663
error, incompatible variables
>>
From personal experience with large projects at large international companies:

Java is critical
C# can be very useful to know
Web technologies are absolutely critical, this includes:
HTML5
Javascript
NodeJS
AngularJS (it's blowing up like crazy)

And please please familiarise yourself with version control platforms like Git, people tend to forget about this essential skill.
>>
>>51680819
>PHP
>not the language for people too new to realise they could use any language they want for a web backend
You like weak typing? Why not python or JavaScript? You like languages that make sql easy? Why not Java or ditch sql and use C# with any number of its databasing driver libraries? You like prefixing every damn variable like an autist who loves seeing the dollar sign? How about Perl? You want to completely fuck view/data processing separation in the ass? ASP.

You want to deliberately write horrific code no one but you wants to look at. Go ahead, its PHP for you, enjoy being unemployable.

>>51680819
Yeah JVM is still slightly faster, but you made out as if specifically mono was slow.

That's true about mono and .NET, mono can do everything .NET can but if it's written for .NET there'll be unexplainable problems. You really have to write mono for mono, because mono programs work for .NET but .NET programs don't work for mono. Just the way things are, Microsoft will never play ball for cross platform.

>>51680884
If it's just speed and reliability the battle is between Go, C# and Java. C++ isn't reliable and those multitudes of scripting languages don't have speed.

Go interests me, but until it has something like nuget I'm unconvinced. BTW, yes, nuget works perfectly fine on monodevelop.
>>
>>51680958
anon, the php thing was a joke
>>
>>51680819
In this world it's T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM or be T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM'd,
>>
>>51680961
Go to /wdg/, tell them your jokes.
>>
>>51680958
What about rust?
>>
>>51680967
wdg is a joke.
>>
>>51680986
>let
Probably synonymous with var, but it shits me.

Also, too obscure, popularity is a good thing. If there are three people in the world that understands the language, one won't talk to me unless I use the right pronouns, the other seems like she only contributed to the "coc" and the third is an autist who keeps showing me its intermediary language, I don't want to use it.

Meanwhile there are C# and Java monkeys every where, everything that could be asked about these languages on stack overflow has been asked and appropriately upboated. Go is less popular, but it might get there one day.
>>
>>51669466
Nemerle.
>macros more powerful than lisp's
>insane type inference, deduce from further usage
>TCO
>everything is an expression
>partial application of functions
Etc. >>51669466
>>
Don't ask /g/ this question

Everyone will just choose obscure languages that no one in the real world actually fucking uses
>>
>>51669474
If you just want to make cash, this is actually not the worst idea. Tons of banks still have old mainframes running cobal code. Someone has to support that shit.
>>
>>51669466
Jews
>>
pretty much well agreed that JS/Py/C++ is the way to go if you want to do anything that's anything.
>>
>>51669466
who gives a shit about the programming language, you either are a software engineer or you arent.

protip: 90% of /g/ "programmers" isnt
>>
>>51682416

Except by pretty much every large company that has developed anything you use on a regular basis on the internet?

Front end JS/Java back end, in most cases.

Front end JS / Java and C++ back end in anything requiring huge amounts of data or connections
>>
Python 3
>>
>>51674908
>stl and all
what are you talking about?
Everyone who have the basic intro to data structures can figure out how and when to use the stl.
The challenging thing about c++ is keeping up with features as they are tacked on.
The difficult with both C and C++ is learning the vast number of libraries.
>>
>>51679751
Because apple users are actually more likely to pay for your app and are not poor.
>>
>>51684193

Well this post is total bullshit.

Do you really think software engineers are the only people who write code or that everyone needs to write perfectly secure, beautiful, commented, software-engineer-esque code for what they are trying to accomplish?

If you are writing a Python script to inject Shellcode into memory via a buffer-overflow vulnerability in a program you are not a software engineer and do not have to write code in the same way.
>>
>>51670373
It's Turing complete!
>>
>>51685458
>why do you do computer science, anon?
>job availability, easy money
I know your kind
Disgusting
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.