[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >order old dell precision 690 off eBay because why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 800x600
>be me
>order old dell precision 690 off eBay because why not
>shipment arrived
>graphics card has DMS-59 slot
>no adapter
>order new PCIE card for it
>meantime maybe use old PCI card from oldest desktop in home
>installed
>no post
>check connections, fans spinning
>remove card
>behaves the same without card installed - no onboard graphics but diagnostic lights the same
>check manual
>says could be ram issue if power light blinks amber
>powerlight solid green
>wtf.ogg
>assume PCIE is required for video to post
>ask /g/ anyway

tl;dr: can the precision 690 boot with a PCI graphics card or does it HAVE to be PCI-E?
>>
Clear the bios
>>
>>51665767
I tried. I took the power off, and the battery out for over 6hrs and let it sit. Placed the jumper off PSWD and on RSTCMS for that time too. Nothing...
>>
>>51665783

Keyboard light up? if so mash the usual bios keys and hope for the best, or if it has a working install on it does it make any sounds with speakers plugged in?
>>
>>51665842
Shipped without an OS. Has onboard speaker. No beeps. USB keyboard/mouse does nothing, PS/2 keyboard flashes, mouse has power. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Tried usual F2, 10, 12 mashing on PS/2... Same blank screen, fans whurring.

PCIE card is out for delivery. I guess I'll know before tomorrow if I got a lemon.
>>
What do the BOIS error lights say, nigga?
>>
>>51665910
They're just diagnostic lights. They don't "say" anything.

1&2 are off, 3&4 are lit green. Power is green and the "AUXPWR" LED in the board is solid amber.
>>
>>51665588
>Be me
>>
Try out every ram module, ecc runs hot as fuck (85-110c) in dell workstations.
8x2gb Ecc ddr2 667 in my t5400 runs around 95 load.
Probably ram shitting out.
>>
>>51665940
My RAM test was inconclusive. I have 8x2Gb. I took them all out but one, same result. Swapped it for another one, same result so I put them back one at a time to see if anything would change, no luck.
>>
>>51665957
I read also they needed to be installed in pairs, which was the same result also, I find it hard to believe that EVERY module failed at once.
>>
>>51665930
Looks like you've got memory problems.

Is the RAM ECC? I'm 95% sure it needs to be ECC in order to boot.
>>
>>51665588
>can the precision 690 boot with a PCI graphics card or does it HAVE to be PCI-E?
Does it post with the original card in? Did it ever post?

Also, did the seller claim it worked?
>>
>>51666005
They're all matching pairs of ECC fully buffered. I guess I'll remove a pair at a time and see what happens.
>>
>>51666019
Seller claimed it worked, yes. I don't know about the original card because I don't have an adapter for a DMS-59 port and one wasn't included. Instead of ordering that, I thought I'd upgrade the graphics anyway and order a new PCI-E card. My PCI card is an old 8400 GS I thought I'd try in the meantime to get the OS going until the new card came.
>>
>>51666060
You can check the diagnostic lights with the original card.
>>
>>51666070
I'm willing to bet it's PCI E only. I tried replacing the ram a pair at a time, then with the original card. Everything remains the same, but I can't see if the post screen is being pushed through the original card.
>>
>>51666242

second this at this stage
>>
There are a few LED-lit numbers next to the network LED.
Look at them and look up the combination in the service manual.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.