[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ents. Surely this cpu+mobo combo is compatible right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1363647007078.jpg (22 KB, 390x299) Image search: [Google]
1363647007078.jpg
22 KB, 390x299
Hey /g/ents. Surely this cpu+mobo combo is compatible right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128822

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117543

PCPARTPICKER is warning me that they're incompatible but I see no reason they should be.

Trouble is I've already ordered them.
>>
You done goofed
>>
it should be fine
>>
>>51664762
Seems fine to me, what's the error?
>>
>>51664854
None yet, they arrive tomorrow. I'm building an HTPC. I wanted to show the build to someone so I put the parts in PCPARTPICKER and its saying they're incompatible.

Check it out:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wqwJcf
>>
>>51664762
They're both socket 1150 and 4th gen. It states that its an i7/i5/i3 mobo. .whats the beef?
>>
>>51664907
>>51664879
You're using a Devil's Canyon CPU with a 1st gen Haswell Board.
>>
>>51664762
Hey anon, I'll explain the deal here. Some early Intel 8-series motherboards needed a BIOS update before they could accept later Haswell chips ("Haswell Refresh"). The issue there, of course, was that you would need another pre-Refresh Haswell chip to apply such an update.

But I wouldn't worry- If the board is new stock, it very likely has any required update applied already. I went with a 4160 and a Gigabyte GA-H81M-H a while ago, and had no issues.
>>
File: late feels.jpg (122 KB, 1102x967) Image search: [Google]
late feels.jpg
122 KB, 1102x967
>>51664912
But its still the same socket type. I've never ran into a problem with new chips on old boards.
>>
>>51664762
>>51664913 (Me)
Further to this, here's their CPU support list: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=5346

And although they don't list the 4170 specifically, they do list many Refresh chips, and it states that they've been supported since the very first BIOS version.

So I'd say that's confirmation that you'll be fine.
>>
>>51665031
Ok, that's I found that just now too. So thats what they mean in that chart? It wasn't clear.
>>
>>51664964
I'm just saying that's why you're getting the error. As it says, you may need a BIOS update. It should still be fine.
>>
>>51665054
Oh no, I haven't even laid hands on the parts yet. They come in the mail tomorrow. Trouble is I've already paid for them and then I find this possible compatibility issue online. I think its fine though. It'll probably ship with the updated BIOS. There is no BIOS version listed that's older than the update so. .
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.