[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is windows dead in the programming world? I mean, nobody uses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12
File: 1449119300438.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1449119300438.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
Is windows dead in the programming world?

I mean, nobody uses windows-only stuff anymore, but Unix and/or cross platform stuff?

Visual Studio is left unused, even though its the best IDE?

Is muh games the last reason to keep windows?

Pls respond
>>
>>51660276
No. You wouldn't know it by reading leddit / HN, but the Windows development community is gigantic due to the enterprise.

As far as using Windows for personal use, gaems and drivers. I can't think of any other reason.
>>
>>51660276

Uhh Visual Studio is still by far the most popular programming software.

Windows is still king.
>>
>>51660276
WHo is this semen demon?
>>
for real programming and networking, its pretty much dead. For casual python coders n basic uses it has massive user base.
>>
>>51660608
this
>>
File: you.jpg (43 KB, 570x587) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
43 KB, 570x587
>>51660276
>Visual studio is left unused
Go back to your containment board, autist.
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>51660314

ENTERPRISE
>>
>>51660724
>shilling MShit
Fuck off Rajeesh
>>
>>51660764
desu senpai where can I get paid to shill?
I already do it for free.
>>
Well, it might seem like Windows is dead because all the cool kids in Silicon Valley use OS X and Linux, but there are legions of codemonkeys writing enterprise CRUD shit on Windows that you don't hear about.
>>
>>51660608
>>51660669
Do you have _anything_ to back that claim up? Lets just look at the facts: First of all there is Java, the most used language in gemeral, that is also huge in enterprise, which you wont be programming in Visual Studio. Then there is a giant heap of web developers that mainly code in PHP, or python, or Ruby, which won't be using VS either unless they are in the minority that is using asp.net. Android and iOS development is done in Xcode, AndroidStudio oder Xamarin, which is another big heap of people not using VS.

Lets look at the Tiobe index: 21% Java, 13% to PHP, Python, JS and Ruby, ObjC and Swift together 4% popularity.

The typical VS languages (C++, VB.net, C#) are at 15% popularity, even though you might argue that the market for C++ and C# doesnt exclusively use VS, as there is still Xamarin, Qt etc.

Then theres a big heap of C (18 %), mostly linux and embedded programming, for which VS isnt an ideal environment and Eclipse pretty much the industry standard.

Id say that those numbers clearly indicate that VS isnt the most popular IDE for the majority of programmers.

>its the best IDE
Which I doubt now that the Jetbrains suite has a viable C++ IDE too.
>>
>>51660818
I work in aerospace and primarily use C#. I have friends in the oil industry that also write programs on .Net used on offshore drilling rigs.

Not everyone who writes for the MS stack spends their days writing CRUD apps. It's hilarious that the same people insulting .Net are the same people that are in useless shitty web startups.

In the end, platforms are used by companies as tools for the end business goal. I find the people I've met who make fun of other technology stacks usually aren't working on anything interesting themselves. It's a way to feel superior without actually doing anything useful.
>>
>>51660276
Who is this cockhungry cumslut?
>>
>>51661079
>useless shitty web startups
Hey now, that dating app for my car is pretty useful. And now that they finally allow gay cars, my neighbor's Jetta has found love. Are you an intolerant bigot, hating on the app ecosystem that bring us together in love instead of dividing us with commerce?
>>
>>51661150
This is why yall can't get laid
>>
>>51660276
Who is this hot mama ?
>>
>>51661175
it's most likely because he's not attractive
>>
>>51661023
a large amount of enterprise .net development is internal, and all maintained in-house.
>>
>>51661804
you mean cant hold a conversation??
though you're probably right too
>>
She's cute
>>
>>51661994
Why do you sound so butthurt? What's it to you?
>>
>>51661807
The statistic clearly indicates that its insignificant compared to Java and web applications.
>>
>>51660314
>drivers
tbqhwy Linux drivers are on average better than those on Windows. Linux usually supports most hardware ootb, while windows driver support can be quite tedious especially when there is no ethernet driver installed. But in the end they both just werk (usually).

What I mean is: Windows is only an OK choice for vidya.
>>
>>51660276
>best IDE
I wouldn't say that, but it is the most widely used. It is widely used in commercial enterprises. However, I myself love the Linux environment when coding. vim/text editor coding with command line compilers can be extremely fast and productive if you are experienced.
>>
>>51663154
I'm not a programmer but I do online courses because I want to learn. I noticed that there's no reason for me to use nano when vim can actually highlight the opposite brackets when I move to the other one. It's hard to keep track of these without that feature.
>>
>>51660276
This is what unemployed people actually believe
>>
>>51662987
Graphics and wireless drivers would like to have a word with you.
>>
File: MP900442889.jpg (325 KB, 857x560) Image search: [Google]
MP900442889.jpg
325 KB, 857x560
>>51660314
>enterprise
>>
>>51660314
>As far as using Windows for personal use, gaems and drivers. I can't think of any other reason.
No good CAD/CAM software on other platforms.
>>
File: CPP_infogr.png (1 MB, 1200x4870) Image search: [Google]
CPP_infogr.png
1 MB, 1200x4870
>>51663903
>this is what .NET monkeys actually believe
Visual Studio is becoming less relevant in all areas that aren't C#.
>>
>>51664100
I've been using CLion full time on Linux since they made it publicly available. Its performance is god awful compared to Visual Studio. It's about as bad if not worse than Eclipse. I am using it because it's the only linux sepples IDE that doesn't look like total dog shit.
>>
What're your favourite IDE's?
And what languages do you mostly use?
>>
>>51660620

iJustine
>>
>>51664159
At work:
GNU + Linux + Eclipse + Java

At home:
GNU + Linux + VIM + Python || Bash
GNU + Linux + Eclipse + Java || C
GNU + Linux + QtCreator + C++
>>
>>51664186
>GNU + Linux
kek
>>
>>51664147
>Its performance is god awful
>look like total dog shit.
Sounds like subjective / nit-picking to me. I've been using multiple JetBrains IDEs on Linux and they've all worked amazingly well.

On top of that, we are still talking about adaption and it clearly shows that the GCC / Clang ecosystem trumps Windows / VS in terms of that.
>>
>>51664147
Are you sure you are running Oraclel JDK instead of the regular one? There's a huge performance difference.
>>
>>51664289
>Sounds like subjective / nit-picking to me.
No, you retard. Performance is pretty bad. I've tried every IDE supporting C++ on Linux. JetBrains products are pretty solid, but they are slow in comparison compared to pretty much everything else (outside of Eclipse-based IDEs).

I've used ReSharper at work for years even though it slowed down Visual Studio to a crawl up until VS 2015 when Microsoft finally added enough equivalent features to no longer need it. I put up with the slowness because of the other productivity it gained me. That's no different from CLion.

Also I said I use CLion because it DOESN'T look like dog shit. Actually read the post you waste of space.
>>
>>51664147
>IDE
>looks
Really now?
Clion could be great if it didn't use shitty cmake so much.
>>
File: USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-A).jpg (13 KB, 486x253) Image search: [Google]
USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-A).jpg
13 KB, 486x253
>>51660314
>>51660755
>>51664098

>enterprise
>>
Windows is the most popular development OS by an overwhelmingly huge margin.
>>
>>51664289

IntelliJ is the only IDE I can think of that definitively sucks goat dick on Linux
>>
>>51665285
I would not call it overwhelming, but yes.
>>
>>51665337
Fake graph. Actual professional developers use Arch Linux.
>>
>>51665337
>60 vs 20
3 times more than linux or mac.
Most devs I know switched to mac from linux. I expect Mac share to grow and linux shrink a little bit. Windows might shrink as well.
>>
>>51665386
54.5% actually
>>
>>51664269

We don't want to upset Richard.
>>
Who is this slurpee slurper?
>>
>>51665808
me
>>
>>51664484
>Also I said I use CLion because it DOESN'T look like dog shit. Actually read the post you waste of space.
I've read your post.

I wasn't criticing your opinion on CLion, I was pointing out that your opinions are bullshit in general, cause you are even considering issues of user experience/design.
>>
>>51665285
>>51665337
>55% market share among programmers
>usually having a 90% market share
So basically an awful lot of developers are actively leaving Windows compared to the average user. Doesn't really seem like its that popular among developers.

I would be surprised if most of those 55% are actually using it by choice and not because of some company policy that requires them to. Windows is sub-par for most development-related tasks.
>>
>>51667644
This.
>>
A lot of developers started with Windows and stayed. A lot of developers learnt to code with GNU/Linux and stayed. A lot of developers use Mac OS X because they visually like it.

These three reasons are not linked to the quality of the IDEs on these platforms, but it's funny to see from the graphs displayed here the portion of developers who learned to code with GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51660276
>Is windows dead in the programming world?

Hell no. Real, actual get-paid programmers will always have a dual-booting or VM situation going on, and actively use tools from Windows and Linux.
>>
>>51660608
>Most popular programming language
Java
>Most popular web language
Php
I don't see any data supporting your claims. VS being most popular is just a meme started by win fags here to get on free tards and Mac fags. Even the people i know who use asp use vs code or mono if they are free tards.
Eclipse without doubt is the most popular ide.
>>
>>51665243

The worst enterprise tbqh
>>
>>51664089
Both just werked for me
>>
>>51664089
Is this 2005?
>>
>>51665334
It aint that great on windows either
>>
>>51662987
M8 your outta your mind.
>>
>>51661079
This. I'm also working at an engineering company doing mostly c#
>>
File: 1429177114622.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1429177114622.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>implying professional devs don't all either use Arch Linux or Gentoo
>>
>>51664100
>sources: reddit
>>
My dad has used Windows ever since he began programming. He has supported us (family of 4) as the sole breadwinner for almost 10 years.

laughing_whores.jpeg
>>
>>51670192
The only time I've seen Arch mentioned outside of shitty message boards was on the Steam profile of some manbaby who "reports" subpar game exploits already found by other people, and then takes all the credit. Gentoo is actually pretty popular for no-nonsense environments, due to the sturdiness and DIY nature suggested by its age, and I can usually see why. Chromium OS uses it as a base (though the finished result is hardly similar, so this is pretty irrelevant.)
>>
>>51670192
>implying you're not dumb frogposter
>>
>>51670192
actually most ads ive seen were for ubuntu
>>
>>51670267
>>51670311
look at the desktop threads. all the pros are running arch or gentoo
>>
>>51670367
how do you know they are pro?
>>
>>51660314
You forgot music production is terrible on Linux. Hardly any supported VSTs.
>>
>>51662987
Drivers on windows get updates far more often and out of personal experience crash less.

You also forgot the fact that all steam games are on windows. There might be like 1/4 of those titles on Linux natively.
>>
Not dead but on life support. The only places where Windows is used and there's no alternative is companies that use .NET. Most development nowadays is either Java (of course, completely multiplatform and much, much bigger than .NET/C#), web development (except ASP.NET, all languages/frameworks/whatever are multiplatform and more enjoyable on other OSes) and mobile (iOS development on OS X, Android development on any platform as their dev tools are Java-based).

It's pretty much over.
>>
File: 1434905747226.jpg (141 KB, 1366x2048) Image search: [Google]
1434905747226.jpg
141 KB, 1366x2048
>Posting qt for no reasons.
>>
File: 1391449749145.jpg (133 KB, 1280x856) Image search: [Google]
1391449749145.jpg
133 KB, 1280x856
>>51670587
Yes yes, egg and chicken problem...
>>
>>51670587
>>51670047
>>51664089
Linux driver support >>>> windows driver support
Unless it was released in the last 15 days or something.
>>
>>51664147
>It's about as bad if not worse than Eclipse.
It's far worse than Eclipse because it uses Swing (the Java-based UI toolkit) instead of native windowing like Eclipse (uses SWT, a UI toolkit that uses the native controls/etc). Eclipse, latest version, is actually pretty fast for me (using a SSD though and don't installing every plugin available as a retard) considering it's a giant Java application.
>>
>>51670670
Where do I need to click to experience that lag? Seems to work for me.
>>
>>51665337

This.

Also this is an online poll so it's mostly going to be answered by hipsters, the actual use of Windows in the real world is MUCH HIGHER.

If you don't think Windows (with Visual Studio) is by far the most popular, you are living in your little autistic hipster bubble.

Wake up you dumb faggots.
>>
File: 1421224379001.jpg (48 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1421224379001.jpg
48 KB, 460x276
>>51670945
>Also this is an online poll so it's mostly going to be answered by hipsters
oh boy

>If you don't think Windows (with Visual Studio)
Yes, all those people are writing Python, Java and PHP in Visual Studio.
>>
>comparing a shit language like PHP to C#/asp.net
only a retard who has never programmed in c#/asp would say such a thing

>Linux
- no god tier IDE like Visual Studio
- no Photoshop equivalent
- no Premiere/Vegas equivalent
- no Cubase/Logic/Pro Tools/VST
- no After Effects equivalent
- no Games
- no Office (muh Librefoffice -> HAHAHAHAHA)

>inb4 excuses excuses and shitty open source tools which aren't even comparable to the tools I've just mentioned

Linux users are autists, virgins, hentai fans, overweight or skinny fat and unemployed

>inb4 bla bla bla bla bla
it's the truth and everyone knows it HJAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51670667
Nope.
I still can't drag a window without tearing.
And many things have only basic functionality (as in extra buttons and stuff do nothing)
>>
File: typical_linux_user.jpg (147 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
typical_linux_user.jpg
147 KB, 500x375
>>
File: 3152345543.jpg (133 KB, 1914x1044) Image search: [Google]
3152345543.jpg
133 KB, 1914x1044
>>51660276
Is it just me or does the facial structure of the girl in OP look like Lauren from TastyPC?
>>
Have you seen the latest visual studio, that shit is the greatest shit in the world, It beats all you fags who think they are cool using vim or nano to program.
>>
>>51667488
>your opinions are bullshit in general, cause you are even considering issues of user experience/design.

Congratulations for posting the dumbest shit I have ever heard on /g/.
>>
I run a startup dev studio and i have made sure to only use c# and dotnet. Why? Because c# is faster than python/js/ruby and better than java. I also like to brag about all the money using non foss software. Some linux fags takes it very personal lol
>>
>>51660784
good goy
>>
>>51660276
plenty of people still do it. maybe if you looked at all of the dumb battlestation threads you would realize 95% of this board lives with their parents and not in the real world
>>
>>51672842
They have similar nose and mouth structure.
>>
>>51664100
question: they say on Windows GCC is is as popular as Visual C++ yet they mention MinGW separately. I thought MinGW was pretty much the Windows GCC build? How do you run GCC on Windows if not part of MinGW?
>>
>>51660276
I have windows only to play games and I use Linux to work
>>
Hate to be that guy, but I've done plenty of Java, PHP and Python development in Visual Studio.

Visual Studio has tons of plugins, that will turn it into whatever kind of IDE you need.

Some fun ones
>vsVim
>reSharper
>Python Tools for Visual Studio (better than pyCharm imo)
>vs.php (also pretty good)
>Java Language (Kind of sucks tbo, only recently got a debugger)
Git support for Visual Studio
>>
Windows has been dead for decades, but like the rest of the zombies, it just keeps on infecting the world.
>>
>>51673835
All conventionally attractive women look the same.

Women who have a face that is close to average are more attractive.

Girls with that one weird face trait that you find attractive don't count.
>>
>>51661785
You're not very good at this are you?
>>
>>51660276
Microsoft will be dead in 10 years mark my words.
>>
>>51660314
>but the Windows development community is gigantic due to the enterprise.

It's not just "enterprise". It's business, period.

I know a guy clearing $100k in a low-medium cost of living area writing VBA. Not Visual Basic.NET. VBA. He does tons of work for local businesses and banks that have a long-held investment in custom-built applications running VBA with Access backends.

You really have to take /g/, Reddit, HN, and others with a grain of salt. Realize that you're seeing *self promotion* rather than objective reality.

In my opinion, the most important metric in debating language/platform popularity is to look at a jobsite aggregator (Indeed.com/jobtrends). You can yammer about search metrics all you want, when it comes down to it, what matters is how many unfilled positions there are.

BTW, I'm a long-time Windows desktop developer. I've done everything from device drivers to desktop applications to web apps. Native desktop is pretty dead, but C# desktop and server seems to be pretty strong.
>>
>>51676163
one can only hope senpai.
>>
>>51676163
Nah, they'll go full IBM they will become a powerhouse no normies care about.
They Will also be full on Big Data and Open Source.
>>
>>51676163

I don't think so, unfortunately. MS has got to be pulling some serious strings at the enterprise level. Our shop has gone full retard windows. It's insane, I read about "bring your own device", see how awesome macOS and linux are, but this place is solid windows.

Our email just moved over to the online MS cloud thing. Insane.
>>
>>51664185
I can't believe how hideous the Google results are for this creature. I feel sick. Thanks.
>>
>>51664159
At work: OSX / Linux + vim + C++/Python
At home/hobby: same thing + lisp
>>
>>51661023
confirmed never working in the industry beyond shit startups who can't let go of macs
>>
>>51662987
>installed linux on windows computer
>have to use proprietary wifi drivers
>sound just doesn't werk at all, literally no idea why
Wonderful <3
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.