[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've recently decided to learn more about Linux and UNIX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: linux-logo-600x300.png (41 KB, 505x250) Image search: [Google]
linux-logo-600x300.png
41 KB, 505x250
I've recently decided to learn more about Linux and UNIX OS's after 5 years of using Windows. I've looked into and learned more about the Linux command line plus I've used it through a virtual machine before, and frankly, I just like it a lot better. If the information I'm using is false I apologize, I am quite young to be looking into this, 98% of the kids in my school most likely don't even know what a command line or operating system is. First of all, what do I do to learn more about using Linux and bash ? Besides lurking /g/
>>
I applaud your effort OP but this site is 18+, so kindly fuck off.
>>
>>51653365
Read lots of books. Read lots of wikis. Also stop going on 4chan if youre still in school, you dont want to get cancer
>>
>>51653390
Sigh.
>>
most effective way is to use a distro as a daily driver
>>
>>51653396
Too late
>>
>>51653365
first you should learn how to read man page:
>open terminal(I'm sure that you can do)
>type `man man'

after you read it, when you need some feature in linux like bash or sh, you read a man page and try understand it. it spends lots of time, but if you feel that is fun, then no problem :)
cheer!
>>
You should wipe windows off your hdd and install a gnu+linux distribution
I can remommend gentoo its easy fast and has zero bloat
Make sure to not use systemd as it is harmful software
>>
>>51653504
Thanks
>>
>>51653504
>systemd
when you say some software is harmful, should say some reason why it is harmful, Anon.
>>
install some linux distro you like and use it every day. in time you'll become master linux user, grow a beard on your neck, buy an oldschool hat and shit on everything all day
>>
>>51653365
I recommend installing Gentoo as your first main OS. It's the easiest to install and learn, especially if you're a Linux beginner
>>
>>51653365
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/

man pages online
>http://linux.die.net/man/
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.