[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick question, /g/ I just received a new GPU. (R9 380) I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151201_215633.jpg (7 KB, 167x225) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151201_215633.jpg
7 KB, 167x225
Quick question, /g/

I just received a new GPU. (R9 380)
I am replacing an old GPU (GTX 550).

I shut down,removed card, booted via onboard graphics (i5-2400), uninstalled Nvidia stuff via Programs list in Control Panel, shut down, installed new card, plugged in monitor to card.

Now it won't turn on. When I remove the R9 380, the computer turns on fine. When I put in the 550, it also turns on fine, albeit with no drivers.

My psu is a corsair cx600.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate it!
>>
>>51643581
PSU might be too old to output the required wattage. They degrade over time, especially if left on to idle.

I suggest using a multimeter to keep track of the 12v rail when turning it on.

Might just be shit luck with the card tho. Did you buy some Powercolor or XFX piece of shit?
>>
>>51643667
>did you buy some powercolor
Yes... Yes I did.

Fuck.
>>
>>51643707
Lel

Powercolor only makes good cards on the very high end, or with good oddities like the 7870 XT. Everything else they cheap out on. XFX on the other hand cheaps the entire line.
>>
>>51643742
Damn. Well before I set up for RMA, the card powers in. Any ideas?
>>
>>51643802
Powers in?
>>
>>51643939
It turns on, sorry. The fans are running.

Could it be my mobo is a pos? I'm trying to update it but the last update says its from 2012, the year I bought it, and it has failed to install twice already via the exe. Maybe I can update it via the bios file.
>>
>>51644055
It's probably the GPU m8
>>
>>51644154
Yep just started it back up with the 550ti.

I'll just refund the 380. Thanks m8
>>
>>51643742
Is that true? What is considered very high end? Is a Powercolor 7950 going to fuck up?
>>
PowerColor is meh tier. XFX is god tier for price, quality and cooling.
>>
Pull out the power remove the bios battery w8 for 20 sec plug everything back in it should work
>>
Christ, people on this board are so fucking stupid. Some random jerkoff tells you that a brand is shit and you swear off it for life. Do you literally believe that PowerColor sell cards that don't work, OP, you fucking retard? Do you think that possibly there might be another explanation for this problem, that doesn't involve some fuckboi on /g/ telling you that it's defective by design and you should return it ASAP? Like maybe updating your fucking motherboard BIOS for example, since older boards often have trouble with newer cards?

Jesus fuck.
>>
>>51643581
The latest AMD crimson drivers are bugged. I got a black screen and flickering when I turned on my PC and thought I'd bricked my card. Get the 15.7 drivers and try again.
>>
File: pls read the sticky.png (7 KB, 420x385) Image search: [Google]
pls read the sticky.png
7 KB, 420x385
>>51647363

The sticky is there for a reason
>>
Op your the reason why AMD sales are bad,look up how to use a computer before buying new hardware.Look to set your on borad graphic on in your bios or within device manger,also turn off microsoft driver updates just encase microsucks auto updates on you.
>>
Try updating your motherboard bios. I had a similar problem and updating the bios fixed it.
>>
>>51645258
no, the 7950s are hearty motherfuckers. I wouldnt worry
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.