[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys agree that as time goes on and storage becomes larger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 1448876376326.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1448876376326.png
296 KB, 649x649
Do you guys agree that as time goes on and storage becomes larger it will only allow developers to become lazier and make ridiculous file sizes.
>>
I fully agree
>>
Already happened with RAM
>>
Already happened with GPUs
>>
>>51641903
That time is already here, we are in hell
>>
Already happened with dildo sizes
>>
as CPUs get faster, programmers get lazier

to a certain extent, it's time and money. it takes programmers longer to write more efficient programs. at some point, it stops being financially worthwhile to optimize.
>>
>>51641903
Yup.
Capitalism.
Game makers make more by offering New and Shiny graphics etc.
GPU makers make more by selling New and Shiny graphics cards etc.
More profits for doing nothing good or useful, but in fact by being wasteful - of electricity, rare earth metals, labour etc.
>>
>>51641903
It's already happening and it's only going to get worse. Talk to anyone in STEM over 50-60 and they will tell you that they used to agonize over memory/storage management. Now-a-days, people don't care about of either of those, which is a good thing in some regards.
>>
>>51641903
>get more resources
>complain when resources are used
never got this meme. would you prefer we still only had 64kb of memory?
>>
>>51641903
>it will only allow developers to become lazier

Dude. Here's an idea for you. How about you do a little intellectual time travel?

Here's what you do: write a GUI application for the Commodore 64. Did you finish writing it? Okay, now implement arbitrary changes, like what you'd get from upstream from a project manager or regular pointy-haired boss.

Okay, done? Now do that for the IBM PC. Make it a CUI (character-based). Make pseudo-graphical elements like dialog boxes. Now I want shadows behind my CUI dialogs. Now I want the entire screen layout to change completely because marketing wants it.

Now you graduate to Windows programming. You get to write a complete MDI interface in C using straight Win32 and GDI calls. Oh, management called, we have a completely new icon set and they want it to look good on 256 color VGA screens as well as 24-bit color screens.

Now you get to write a WinForms application in Visual Basic. Make arbitrary UI changes. Then an equivalent application using WPF in C#.

Then you have to reimplement the previous software using whatever server-side and SPA client-side libraries you choose.

THEN you fucking come to me and bitch about how developers are lazy, you ignorant Millennial piece of shit.
>>
>>51642067

>What is "Waste", what is pollution?
>>
>>51642222
the "waste" would be in not utilizing the actual resources your computer has.
>>
>>51642111
>GUI
this is the fate you chose
>>
>>51642222
>2222k ought to be enough for anybody
>>
>>51642111
didnt read but im saving this butthurt for rainy days
>>
>>51641903
To an extent
at some point things will reach a limit
>>
>>51642283
>implying you can do multimedia creation in the command line
>>
>>51642323
>implying you can't
>>
>>51642254

>Why aren't you using more resources than necessary! You could be polluting more than you are right now to do the same thing! and you should!
is all I'm hearing.

I mean Real Waste: electricity being wasted on a non-productive/non-useful/non-fun programs, money being wasted buying more powerful hardware than you'll use, buying new hardware when old hardware will do - generating polluting e-waste and increasing demand on child slaves in the rare earth metal mines in Africa, etc...

"Waste Not, Want Not" - don't use more than you need, because others need it too.

>>51642285

The argument isn't against more resources, but how they are used wastefully. If you can do a thing with 64kb but use 2GB to do it, you are being wasteful.
To be wasteful is to be evil. It is to deny resources to others.
E.g. instead of two people using 64kb each to read an online article, only one person uses 128kb and the other dies because they didn't know what the article said.
>>
>>51642436
I'd like to see you try
>>
>>51642283
>this is the fate you chose

You autistic fuck.

Are you able to read and digest ANYTHING? Are you literally this fucking stupid?

Here is the point: the "lazy" software developers are creating WHAT THE MARKET WANTS. What the market wants is more complex, visually pleasing software. That is a PAIN IN THE ASS to write and respond to change requests. So, as computers have increased in speed, we're becoming more abstracted. This allows us to respond to demands faster, even though your precious performance may not improve at the rate you expect based on your childish understanding of processing power.

The software isn't supposed to speed up because hardware is getting faster. THE USER EXPERIENCE is supposed to improve as faster hardware allows more complex software.

You are the same kind of retard who can't separate your autistic crybaby demands from the concept of creating REAL VALUE in the world.
>>
>>51642452
If you had just left off the last sentence, this would be extremely high quality bait.
>>
>>51642485
theres always improvements to be made and developers arent always making shit from the ground up you fucking idiot. when software becomes more bloated, its because they arent bothering to do any quality control and actually do their job well.
>>
>>51641903
This is called Parkinson's law. You're pretty smart for thinking about it on your own actually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law
>>
If you widen roads to lessen traffic, cars fill the roadspace available to increase traffic.
If you give extra time to finish a project, your work will expand to fill the time available.
>>
Yes, capitalism is some wasteful shit.
>>
>>51642111
You are lazy. Stop whining like a whore and man up.
>>
Nah.
Google encourages muh web devlopers to cut off arbitrary file sizes, as they want devlopers to focus on mobile first ;^)
>>
>>51643100
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law

Don't work for a guy who has that quote up in his office by the way.
>>
i guess if you care about games.

i don't though so meh.
>>
Pretty much. Now that people have 1TB+ HDD devs aren't really obligated to compress files or use Opus instead of WAV files. So now they can male bloated 40GB+ downloads and the average consumer won't give a fuck.
>>
>>51644654
PC & Console games are worse for this especially for patches. Day 1 patch 10 GB on top of the 50 GB download for a 6 hour game.
>>
>>51641903
yes
I saw some shitty web dev defend 200 MB bloated applications because "it doesn't matter anymore, people have the space for it"
>>
>>51644736
>people have the space for it

But Apple and Google are still selling phones with 16GB only.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.