[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i don't even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: 157-5741_IMG.jpg (63 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
157-5741_IMG.jpg
63 KB, 480x640
Why GNU `su' does not support the `wheel' group
===============================================

(This section is by Richard Stallman.)

Sometimes a few of the users try to hold total power over all the
rest. For example, in 1984, a few users at the MIT AI lab decided to
seize power by changing the operator password on the Twenex system and
keeping it secret from everyone else. (I was able to thwart this coup
and give power back to the users by patching the kernel, but I wouldn't
know how to do that in Unix.)

However, occasionally the rulers do tell someone. Under the usual
`su' mechanism, once someone learns the root password who sympathizes
with the ordinary users, he or she can tell the rest. The "wheel
group" feature would make this impossible, and thus cement the power of
the rulers.

I'm on the side of the masses, not that of the rulers. If you are
used to supporting the bosses and sysadmins in whatever they do, you
might find this idea strange at first.
>>
File: 1395273269317.jpg (121 KB, 700x979) Image search: [Google]
1395273269317.jpg
121 KB, 700x979
Based Stallman always looking out for your freedom.
>>
I had wondered about this but I always assumed it was out of laziness and poor security practice, rather than insanity.
>>
>>51641891
It's RMS, what do you expect?
>>
>>51641431
thank you based Stallman
>>
>>51641891
>>51641914
How can you even pretend to be running free software if you're the only one allowed to use the root account? BTFO! GNU IS MOST FREEDOM UNIX KEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH!
>>
>>51641431
Awesome that he let's his birds fly free and even has a wood block for them to chew on.
>>
>>51641431
>mfw this is still in the info docs

I had the same reaction reading this today as I did when I first saw this 15+ years ago: that is goddamn retarded. A server is not a fucking democracy.

But as much fun as it is to make fun of him, you can't deny that he's done more good than harm. He still has my respect, no matter how insane or idiotic his rants are.
>>
he's basically a tech jesus
>>
>>51641653
>>51641958
>>51642068
>>51642723
>>51643054
>>51643160
Proof that no matter how many children he fucks and how many toe fungii he eats, GPL communists will still defend him out of ideology.
>>
>>51643215
>how many children he fucks
at the very worst, stallman is a pedo apologist, not a pedo himself. and i'm not sure how this relates to his views on software freedom.

>communists
mccarthy pls go
>>
>>51643309
>stallman is a pedo apologist, not a pedo himself

pedophile =/= pederasty

learn the difference.
>>
>>51643368
doesn't matter when he's neither
>>
>>51643215
This was me:
>>51643054

I'm BSD now. Fuck GNU, buddy.
>>
>>51643309
>how this relates
He's the one that keeps bringing it up out of fucking nowhere. I just view it as proof that he's a horrible and / or immature human being.
>>51643368
If you need to be this specific about this issue, there's no hope for you.
>>51643377
He's most definitely a pedophile apologist and enabler. If you think otherwise you just don't know how to google.

But I guess it's okay to support the *concept* of raping children if you're an open source deity to some.
>>
but nowadays, many distros use sudo, not su. sudo is even worse than su in the view of rms.
>>
>>51643215
Like him or not, RMS practically gave birth to the Internet as we know it today. The FSF and GPL fueled development on a previously unimagined scale. It was a technological Renaissance.

What have you done with your life?
>>
>>51643525
It seems like you're the one fixating on it, bro. You wanna talk about it? Did someone touch you? Greentext please.

Seriously though, what are you even talking about? Maybe you should stop stalking the guy and reading his blog, if he bothers you so much.
>>
>>51643570
RMS had nothing to do with making internets happen. it was old BSD and new windows., not a single person gave a shit about linux or gnu at this time.
>>
>>51643525
in >>51643309, i said:
>stallman is a pedo apologist
so i agree with you. i'm not sure why you suggest that i "think otherwise."
>open source deity
this is a stupid nitpick, but stallman actually disapproves of "open source":
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
>He's the one that keeps bringing it up out of fucking nowhere.
if "he" is stallman, where? if you're talking about his website, well, i have to ask: you're going to his personal website and expecting *not* to see his opinions? i mean, that seems to be the reason his website exists
>I just view it as proof that he's a horrible and / or immature human being.
sadly, i agree that his views on pedophilia are pretty fucked up.

but in a Utilitarian sense, i'd like to think that his positive work in free software has made up for any harm his shitty pro-pedo views have caused.

but maybe i'm just rationalizing.
>>
How is this an issue, wheel is implemented via PAM on Linux systems.
>>
>>51643818
>rationalizing
I'd say you are, but what really grinds my gears is the gross over estimation in this thread of linux's importance in the early 90s, when the internet came into prominence. By that time, almost noone was running linux, GNU, or anything even close. It was either super expensive commercial unix (soon to be engulfed in the horrible trademark battle from hell) or cheap and unencumbered windows solutions that won out in the end. RMS had literally and figuratively nothing to do with creating the internet.
>>
>>51644028
Quiet you. I didn't start this thread so you could ruin it with your fucking facts.
>>
>>51643525
>He's most definitely a pedophile apologist and enabler. If you think otherwise you just don't know how to google.
>But I guess it's okay to support the *concept* of raping children if you're an open source deity to some.

Paedophilia != raping children

There are a lot of paedophiles out there who are neither rapists nor ever had sex with someone under legal age.
>>
>>51643054
>A server is not a fucking democracy.

Damn straight. My server, my rules.
>>
>>51644151
I'm sure there are, but it's only a matter of time, really. You either realise what a sick disgusting piece of shit you are and do something about it, or you go out and do something terrible, rationalizing it by some retarded internet logic that'll only serve to land you faster in jail.
By the time you could have realized how wrong you were, you'll either be dead from shower rape or suicide. take your pick faggot.
>>
Didn't RMS have (free) sexual intercourse with some birds? Or babies? Or baby birds?
>>
>You either realise what a sick disgusting piece of shit you are and do something about it

Yeah, I'm sure you never found someone underage attractive.

>you go out and do something terrible, rationalizing it by some retarded internet logic that'll only serve to land you faster in jail.

Nah, I'm not into rape.
>>
>>51644320

Meant for >>51644293
>>
File: 1444110120816.jpg (91 KB, 555x570) Image search: [Google]
1444110120816.jpg
91 KB, 555x570
>>51644306
I wouldnt be surprised
>>
>>51644360
Look at that slut
>>
>>51644293
I agree. But we should do the same to people who think the same about other crimes like theft, murder, arson, etc.
>>
>>51644320
>never found someone underage attractive
I'm pretty sure every man has.
>I'm not into rape
An easy thing to say,until you realize that your definition of rape differs wildly from the rest of society's.
>>
>>51644360

>A parrot once had sex with me. I did not recognize the act as sex until it was explained to me afterward, but being stroked by his soft feathers was so pleasurable that I yearn for another chance.
>>
>>51644374
>raping a child is the same as stealing a candy bar
>>
File: Scarlett-Johansson-86.jpg (17 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
Scarlett-Johansson-86.jpg
17 KB, 475x356
OSX 10.11 has a Wheel Group

That and Sandboxing plus rootless will make your computer an iPhone with a better keyboard.

RMS is always correct.

/g you are so full of faggotry
>>
>>51644393
>implying the punishment should be the same.
>>
>>51644380
>I'm pretty sure every man has.

Right, so every man's a paedophile.

>An easy thing to say,until you realize that your definition of rape differs wildly from the rest of society's.

No, it's literally non-consensual sex.

By the way, I also happen to agree that girls under legal age don't necessarily know the implications of consenting to sex, and so by law shouldn't be given the right to grant it.

You should stop watching Fox News desu
>>
File: 1444773825174.jpg (434 KB, 2848x2136) Image search: [Google]
1444773825174.jpg
434 KB, 2848x2136
>>51641431
Users need way less power these days. Mobile technology/OSes are so popular due to this very fact. People want shit that just works and that can be fixed extremely easily in the event that it fails. Allowing the users to easily mess with core files is just asking for trouble.
>>
>>51644418
Which is exactly what >>51644374 implied in the first place.
>>
>>51644374

Jesus christ, back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>51644421
PD files gtfo, this is what really gets me a boner,
>>
>>51644421
fuck the plebes
Casuals are ruining the world.
>>
>>51644452
I hope this review is genuine in the heart of the poster because it makes me laugh uncontrollably.
>>
>>51641431
So this was a poor man's alternative to the sudo group? I see no problem with it.

If you have multiple admin's to a server it's saner to manage a single group than always changing the root password when an admin leaves.
>>
Pedophilia is only a problem because children literally, legally, have no true freedom or independence. That's where the line is drawn.
>>
>>51644590
So be lazy about security rather than safe? What company do you work for so I can make sure not to leave my info with them.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.