[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /t/echies, what's the best desk for a computer? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11
Hey /t/echies, what's the best desk for a computer? I have 2 monitors, working on getting a 3rd, and a full-size PC case. Could use some reccomendations, been thinking of this from IKEA, MALM desk.
>>
File: 04.gif (968 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
04.gif
968 KB, 500x281
>/t/echies
>/T/ECHIES
> / T / E C H I E S
>>
File: 0006375303052_A.jpg (12 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
0006375303052_A.jpg
12 KB, 380x380
This is my desk. It's Bestar, I can't remember the model.

U-Shaped desks are nice.
>>
IKEA Linnmon
>>
File: 1447131083974.jpg (6 KB, 230x220) Image search: [Google]
1447131083974.jpg
6 KB, 230x220
>>51637326
>/t/echies
>thinks we are torrents
>>
Built my own out of an old solid oak door and some 2x4s

Don't worry, that was my old mouse and mousepad, have upgraded since then.
>>
>>51637326
IKEA.com
or
>>>/diy/
>>
>>51637326

Well, for starters, if you have three monitors and each of them is resting on the desk, you're doing it wrong. Get a mount.

Also, if you have tools, strongly consider building your own.
>>
>>51637407
>U-Shaped desks are nice.

Yeah, that tense atmosphere where two guys on opposite sides of it can start a fight at any time, the stab-or-be-stabbed mentality--that's what's great about it.
>>
>>51637650

That's one hell of a nice door-desk. How'd you make it?
>>
>>51637326
I've got that desk; it'll fit two 21" monitors and a large mATX case, but I don't think you'll get three on there, even with a mount.
>>
>>51637326
>>51637407

Not enough distance to monitor

>>51637650

Reasonable amount of distance to monitor
>>
>>51637704

>putting your case on your desk

People still do this? No, man, it's an aesthetic nightmare. Find someplace else to put it, any place but the surface of your desk.
>>
>>51637326
Get a loft bed with a desk at the bottom.
I've got one and it can easily fit three ultra-wide screens at an angle.
>>
>computer desk
>computer
>desk
>computerdesk
>>
>>51637786
Ehh, it's a big black monolith, sure, but keeping on the desk ensures good ariflow and less dust in my PSU.

I'm not redoing all my cable management, either.
>>
>>51637786
my desk feels kinda cluttery (maybe because it's small). router on the right, lamp behind my monitor, and comp on the left.

also this:
>>51637960
>>
>>51637905
What an abomination.
>>
File: zyzz1.jpg (370 KB, 810x1013) Image search: [Google]
zyzz1.jpg
370 KB, 810x1013
Top-tier desks are hand-made, but if you're a cheap fuck IKEA Malms are pretty good too.
>>
>>51638016
What's a good start for a god-tier desk design?
Assume that we're talking about a typical home office with 16' by 20' floor space.
>>
>>51637960

Get that damn thing off your desk, son. Trust me, it's for the best. Side note: I personally love all-in-ones for this reason, but, sadly, the iMac is the only one that isn't hideous.

>>51637968

You can Zen up a small desk. I do it, mine's like 2'x4'. Take the router and put it somewhere else, it's a rat's nest waiting to happen. Wall-mount it if you have to. Use conduit for the cables. And, again, lose the computer. Put it next to your desk, not on it. You can wall-mount a lamp, too, if you're feeling ambitious. Monitor, too. Get some kind of mount that fits your situation.

You'll know you're doing it right when the only things touching your desk are things that must be resting on your desk in order to be used.
>>
>>51638102
ill have to think about that. i dont really like wall mounts, i feel like everything is going to fall at some point (excuse my mild autism)
once i get a bigger desk that fits the space i have available, ill put the comp on the ground, router somewhere... better, and just two monitors angled. it'll be gr8
>>
>>51637905
Disgusting. Uncomfortable. Impractical.
>>
File: IMG_0736.jpg (59 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0736.jpg
59 KB, 800x600
>>51637690

Bought an old oak door from Craigslist for $20, and the 2x4s for about $10. Cut the sides for the trim, (pis). Sanded the door down and stained it with a gold pecan color. Then just used latex painted 2x4s for legs and shit
>>
>>51637743

Reasonable is good enough for me. It's 32" deep
>>
>>51638164

Well, wall-mounting your monitors is really kind of incidental to this whole thing. It doesn't really free up much space, and it limits you a lot. You might try a stand mounted to your desk instead. It's a bit more natural, and it's a real space-saver when you have two or more monitors.

Regarding the router, it's really common in enterprise environments to see routers mounted on the wall or ceiling. That's just good placement. You'll probably even get better coverage that way.

As for getting a bigger desk... I honestly wouldn't. I love small desks, you just have to adapt to not putting everything in the entire world on top of them. It's a fun engineering/design challenge, I think. The best small desks are those old real-wood writing desks, the ones with all the drawer space.
>>
File: UioP9Q7.jpg (282 KB, 3072x2035) Image search: [Google]
UioP9Q7.jpg
282 KB, 3072x2035
>>51638090

It's largely dependent on what you're using it for, along with personal preference.

Pic related is what I'd go with. Thick wooden planks, perhaps 18ft long with four sturdy legs (not paneled, space between all of them for drawers/chars/cables/etc). I like to roll around between multiple monitors, so a normal-sized desk wouldn't cut it. If you happen to be a billionaire and can build and entire room around it, I'd upscale to some Victorian-age shit, but that's an edge case.
>>
>>51638189

It looked glossy in your picture. Did you lacquer or poly-coat it?
>>
>>51637650

4 cm plywood doors have good rigidity too and can often be found very cheap 2nd hand (or at least in my commie europe country).
>>
>>51638243
i was thinking a stand attached to my desk too, actually
im sure i can find a qt spot for the router
and by bigger i only mean 10 inches bigger than my current. i just have space i could easily fill so why not. (my current is about 46")
>>
>>51637650
Looks cool.

My stepdad likes doing diy stuff and gave me a homemade mostly-plywood desk as a gift a few years ago, the top is solid wood and I think it used to be a counter, it has a keyboard tray too.

Homemade furniture is cozy.

>Doom desktop
nice
>>
>>51638271

Stained then poly
>>
>>51638321

Thanks, man. You can get exactly what you want only when you make it yourself.
>>
>>51638254
I want to hide a 6-bay NAS and router in a corner, hide my main workstation in another, but my pimped-out gaming microATX PC on the desk, and use four monitors, three of which are in panoramic (1920+2560+1920x1080p) with the center being curved.
>>
>>51638389
why four anon?
>>
>>51638434
One's attached to the workstation and my PS4 (above the three screens), three's attached to my gaming PC.
>>
>>51637326
>Hey /t/echies, what's the best desk for a computer?
>>>/t/
also the best desk is one that is custom built for your specific need.
>>
>>51638474
where are you gonna put the PS4 in that case?
>>
>tfw have so many things hooked up and i'm terrible at cable management
>>
I built my desk as well, but used some Ikea parts. overall it was under $75 for the paint and materials. now I have a giant L shaped desk. Was a weekend project.

I had a friend that used 2 double drawer file cabinets and a door as a desk
>>
>>51638591

These things are your best friends. They're as effective as rubber bands, but much longer-lasting and easier to undo, and less susceptible to dry rot. They come in all sizes, so you can use them on anything, and a bunch of different colors, so you can color-code stuff.
>>
>>51638693

Or a roll of double sided velcro meant for cable tieing.
>>
>>51638822

I always found velcro to be kind of annoying. Plus, it picks up dust and hair over time and gets all shitty. These fucking ties live forever.
>>
IKEA MICKE, Double Drawer one.
>>
>/t/echies
>on /g/
>namefag
>not even trippin

TOP NIGGER

>I'm so using your name to shitpost now negro-kun
>>
File: rsz_2012-09-08_170246-713461.jpg (26 KB, 648x486) Image search: [Google]
rsz_2012-09-08_170246-713461.jpg
26 KB, 648x486
OP: Save some more money and get a solid table top. The desk your posting is just basically a piece of veneered cardboard. The connection between parts looks like shit, when you knock on it sounds hollow, it's gonna squeeze and bend if you put some force/something heavy on it, veneer is gonna let loose quickly. The table is just utter shit, don't get it.

I regret every piece I bought there. I replaced every single IKEA piece over the last years when I moved in my own apartment. Get some high quality used furniture instead. Ikea is peasant tier furniture.
>>
>>51637326
If you are going 3 monitors you'll want to look for desks 60'' or greater.

I prefer sit / stand desks.
>>
I am waiting on a new desk and it has a base board area with a cutout where your feet go. I have a large keningston foot rest I've been using with my current desk but it might be too big for the new desk.

Considering grabbing a memory foam one or something to try and help with ergonomics and overall comfort. Anyone know of a good one?
>>
>>51638507
Right next to where I'm going to put the router and NAS, in a bottom corner partition. The workstation will go on the opposite corner. I've got a huge full-tower, so I want both corners to be able to fit the thing in case I move my desk.
>>
>>51639063
This. IKEA is a great deal if all you want is something that LOOKS LIKE furniture. If you want something you can actually use, get actual wood.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.