[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
got problem. got shitty 7 year old laptop. when bought, had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1299934236949.jpg (47 KB, 343x700) Image search: [Google]
1299934236949.jpg
47 KB, 343x700
got problem.

got shitty 7 year old laptop.
when bought, had win7. i used only windows for ~4 years, and then i bought an dvd to hdd caddy, and dual booted the debian.
after then, i was only booting windows to use school related programs such as iFix, or the occasional tbc private server. (never got it to run on wine.)

so now the debian hdd is clicking and wont boot. I managed to get my files and system configurations, but now i am stuck with windows 7, never formated and filled with all kinds of shit, and not enough money to buy an HDD.
It takes 5 minutes to boot, and every time i open a 4chan catalog page, whole pc freezes for about 10 seconds.

what the hell do i do??
>>
>>51630459
format and install the OS of your choice?
>>
Your 7 year old laptop has an operating system that was released 6 years ago. Ok
>>
>>51630471
i have no hdd to back up my files..
>>51630474
six, seven, is it that much of a difference?
>>
>>51630474
how good is your internet? back it up online. You'll pay with your privacy but better than a $40 external hdd right?
>>
>>51630520
I have thought about that. Even if we neglect the privacy issues, my upload rate is 100KB/s. The hdd is 500GB, assuming the backup worthy stuff are 300GB, its about 850 hours of uploading.
I'm fucking doomed.
>>
>>51630630
put the 300GB of shit on one partition and format the other one
>>
>>51630630
>>51630639

if it's windows don't even format, just overwrite the old installation and it will automatically put all the old shit in C:\Windows.old
>>
>>51630639
can't i only split a partition if the part i want to cut is empty?
if i can do that it will be the optimal solution

>>51630654
i wonder if i can do that using the toshiba recovery disk
>>
>>51630703
can't you just burn a windows iso onto a flash drive?
>>
>>51630710
or that, yes. thanks
>>
>>51630755
sure
>>
>>51630459
Backup anything important to a usb drive, then format the HD and install whatever OS you want, but I'd go with a non-bloated one like Arch, Gentoo, or one of the BSDs--maybe Slackware.

I got an old Pentium 4 that was going to be thrown in the dumpster at work. I had to drill holes in the HD but no problem, I have plenty of old spares. The thing originally had Win XP, and was slow as fuck. I know because the office manager was always getting me to clean shit off of it.

I installed OpenBSD + XFCE, and it's amazing how fast it is now. It's not something to do anything serious with, but for browsing the web or for word processing it's perfectly fine. If it wasn't such an electricity hog, I'd consider turning it into a router + firewall.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.