[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>“Anon, why are you using multi-monitors?” >“Don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 20151201_113653.jpg (49 KB, 281x287) Image search: [Google]
20151201_113653.jpg
49 KB, 281x287
>“Anon, why are you using multi-monitors?”
>“Don't you know ‘virtual desktops?’”
>>
What if I'm doing web development with a live preview of the web page on one screen and my code on the other? I need to see both simultaneously.
>>
>>51623121
>virtual desktops
out of sight, out of mind bruh
>>
When you need two full screen windows at the same time?
>>
i have never ever found virtual desktops useful.
>>
multi monitors is a meme. much like keyboard driven interface meme, they both offer the illusion of productivity while actually harming productivity.
>>
>>51623121
Are you actually suggesting virtual desktops are as useful as multiple monitors?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've switched desktops in linux since I can just put shit on another monitor and see both at the same fucking time.
>>
>>51623121
Because I like to shitpost while watching YouTube. I use virtual desktops on my laptop though.
>>
>>51623565
>He's too retarded to utilize multi-monitor setups to increase his efficiency
>>
>>51623565
>He's too retarded to utilize keyboard driven interfaces to increase his efficiency
>>
I used the shit out of a multi monitor setup but this usage was drastically reduced after switching to a 4K 40" display. I still kept two 24 inch monitors either side but rather than real work they just became "stash shit you dont really need right now" displays.
>>
>>51623565
i bet this guy clicks and drags icons to open/move programs and files like a toddler
>>
>>51623961
I feel the same way after picking up a 40" 4k panel. I still have one of my old 24" 1080p monitors. You think its worthwhile having it hooked up to stash junk on?
>>
>>51624047
Mount it in portrait mode and use it to read webpages or documents.

I fell for the ultrawide meme and although I get more vertical pixels now than I did before (1400 vs 1080) it still helps to have a vertically mounted monitor off to the side. The stand for my 1080p monitor didn't rotate so I had to buy a cheap stand but it's worth it.
>>
>>51624066
meant 1440, not 1400
>>
>>51623121
>father is head of R&D for his company
>has one of these newer Dell latitudes, thing's built like a fucking brick but that's not the point
>always has more than 100 windows open at a given time, not even exaggerating
>works with emails and presentations, word documents, and PDF documents, you know the usual stuff
>dad is pretty senior and one of the original employees so laptop doesn't have a bios password and has all admin rights
>dad distantly knows what Linux is but never tried a distribution
>let him try Ubuntu from flash drive
>he loves the multiple desktop system
>permanently install Ubuntu on laptop, company tech support guy doesn't have a problem because dad is very senior and he can do as he pleases
>now he works at the speed of lighting, switching desktops and windows all the time
Virtual desktops can boost your productivity 10x if you get used to them and learn when to use a desktop subliminally. My dad mastered it at 52, how hard could it be?
>>
>>51624089
None of that deals with the retarded idea that somehow using virtual desktops is better than just having multiple monitors. On a laptop they make sense but on a desktop it's just not even close to as good as having more than one monitor.
>>
>>51624047
I do yeah. However that is mostly due to the work that I do. I work as a network engineer/systems engineer so generally the 40" has all of my terminal windows and primary alarms aka everything I need to *REALLY* pay attention too and the others just hold shit I need to keep a rough eye on but that is not important enough to sit on the main screen.
>>
>>51624147
Off topic but, do you personally find that your network/systems engineer is worth the pursuit? I've been looking on CL and network engineer happened to be one of the most available job listings.

I've been studying all the comptia certs - a, n, sec + and so far it's cool stuff, but nothing that I'm sure of that's really training me for anything other than showing me the pure basics of each position I've been seeing.

Got any training material/software you can recommend that I can train myself with (software paid or non-paid) that would make me look better for that position?
>>
why not both

>>51623565
>taking a hand off your keyboard just to close a window you're in
>needing to move your mouse up to the titlebar or something just to move it
>>
>>51623121
Both are useful.

>>51623603
>>51623542
Both are equally useful.
I treat virtual desktops like groups.
I use them for when I have two separate activities that I won't be switching between, but don't want to close either.
Pretty much the exact opposite of multiple monitors, which I use for multiple windows in the same activity, that I'll be rapidly going back and forth between.
>>
>>51624146
But they both work together excellently in context.

Multi monitors is just expanding my work space.
Virtual desktops is adding multiple workspaces.
These are different things.
>>
My boss gave me a second monitor but I didn't even bother to plug it in.

I use 8 virtual desktops, mostly fullscreen except when I tile two xterms next to each other.

I can't stand using mutliple monitors because I expect the focus to follow my eyes.

> have one screen for code, one for documentation
> look over at documentation
> scroll down
> FUCK
> page up
> switch screen
> page down
>>
>>51625567
>being this retarded
>>
>>51625567
>have two books open in front of me
>look at the one to my left
>try to turn the page
>accidentally turn the page on the book to my right
>FUCK
>>
>>51625699
kek
>>
>>51623121
>actually thinking you can multitask efficiently
>needing more than two buffers for feedback/debugging

I'm sure you're all very special snowflakes and can retain focus over 8 different frames. Dell thanks you for your service
>>
>>51625601

> not being retarded
>>
>>51624089
I've always been extremely interested in ubuntu/linux for the virtual desktops. Are there any good resources I can use to teach myself about these?

Also, is there any better distribution than ubuntu for it?
>>
>>51623542
You seem to have never used osx, what a shame.
>>
>>51625188
>having a setup in which you need to move hand to switch from kb to pointing device
>efficient
Pick one
>>
I use virtual desktops and multi monitors at the same time.
>>
>>51623542
This. I always forget about them when they are there. Out of sight, out of mind.

After getting a second monitor, I could never go back to a single-monitor setup.
>>
>>51625384
>implying dragging your pointing device to another monitor and manually changing your focus is faster than instantaneous switching with four-finger swipe
Non-osx keks are trying to fit in with efficiency meme again.
>>
...said no one ever
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.