[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some problems that Windows 10 has? Let's push aside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
What are some problems that Windows 10 has? Let's push aside the privacy issues and focus on the other issues. I do use Windows 10 but I also appreciate some things about Linux and OSX.

For one, the DE is an inconsistent mess. Sure the latest update fixed some context menu colors but some are still a different shade of grey or just the usual white. The multiple settings programs are awful. Anything useful is usually under "additional settings" which just launches the old control panel program. The action center is fucking useless. It doesn't really server any purpose. The built-in "apps" are also pretty shit. I immediately uninstalled them all with a powershell script and replaced them.

Why are there both CMD and Powershell? Why are there no changelogs with updates? The add or remove programs tool is awful. It displayed "unavailable" next to a lot of programs.

Programming with anything other than Visual Studio is a mess. No native SSH either, although putty is pretty good. What do you dislike about your OS?
>>
>>51621909
it doesn't have any

unless you consider having an awesome OS that just works and does whatever you could ever want to be a problem
>>
>>51621909
Why would Windows have native SSH. It doesn't even have a native SSH server.
>>
>>51621909

Not my OS anymore, but for starters:

Windows doesn't have a manual. No equivalent of man or info in Unix. There aren't any reference resources bundled with the system.

Googling up Technet or MSDN doesn't count.
>>
Windows 10 is like the human body. On the outside it's aesthetic and functional, but on the inside is 2kg of festering bacteria (botnet) and shit (bloat).
>>
>>51621909

DPI scaling is awful and may make text blurry
>>
driver support is a mess with each update. to make it all work i had to disable updates n block them via a firewall
>>
It would randomly wake my computer in the middle of the night and had some serious compatibility problems with my wifi adapter, neither of which I had with 7. After switching back to 7, everything works again.
>>
>>51625831
This. I had to do some registry hacking to have it stop forcing updates and it stopped waking my computer up.
>>
Registry still exists, terrible font rendering, inconsistent menus, and a shit load of bloat

Windows has always been a little bulky but, an app store? Grove music? meh

seems to have a few problems saving to ram/disk too
>>
>>51623221
The point is that it should have native ssh.
>>51626146
What's wrong with the registry? I'm not too sure on what is actually does. I just know I have to regedit in there every so often to fix something.

Yeah, the built in stuff is annoying. The appstore is useless but it'd be nice to have a package manager thats actually used. Nuget exists but doesn't do much outside of VS.
>>
>>51626203
The registry is just a giant mess. They tried too hard to avoid config files and shit, editing it is a nightmare. It's a giant shitfest of nested trees, folders for every program and key everywhere, and the way it splits into 4 groups is super redundant.
>>
every time i reboot i have to reconfigure my touchpad settings
>>
File: sad_picture.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sad_picture.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
Happened RIGHT NOW:

> ok, let's try Windows 10 on my laptop
> custom settings, disable all that bullshit
> install, everything goes on normally
> explore the system settings a bit, find lots of hidden botnet, disable everything I could find
> Aparently there's no way to disable windows updates anymore, whatever...
> now let's install drivers
> audio driver installation freezes
> google for solution, 5 minutes later find and fix it
> suddenly file explorer doesn't want to start
> sign out, sign in
> still doesn't work, it just restarts explorer every time and flashes
> restart
> same problem
> now can't even access control panel since it's inside explorer
> Google it, literally tons of people with the same problem
> after 10 minutes didn't find a solid solution
> fuck this shit, wipe out test partition
Sorry /g/, I tried.
>>
>>51621909
They really fucked up the mail program.

I am a TSR (technical service rep) for Shaw communications in vancouver bc and we constantly get calls about people not being able to send or reseve email with the included mail program. I really hope they fix this soon.
>>
GNU/Linux, as a matter of fact.
>>
>>51626356
is this the end for microsoft? seriously, I also work as a TSR and even vista was much more stable.
>>
>>51626424
Duuuude, 8th floor?
>>
They fuck up something with every update
>>
I heard it literally doesn't have directdraw
why would anyone who plays video games use that shit
>>
>>51626203
>The point is that it should have native ssh.
For what? Explain.

Windows 10 isn't console heavy so a native ssh would be completely useless.
>>
>>51625227
Windows has help and is self explaining even to the most complete retards.
Are you fuckin stupid or what? No one needs a manual for using windows you just use it.
>>
File: why.png (1 KB, 252x68) Image search: [Google]
why.png
1 KB, 252x68
>>51626699
Nah, that's not why there's no manual. There are no tools implemented that need them, hence the lack of features. Even as simple as GTK theme building, there is absolutely 0 equivalent on windows. And they will never have a terminal/shell as good as bash and urxvt, so there's no need for that either.
>>
>>51626352
>> now let's install drivers
>> audio driver installation freezes
>> google for solution, 5 minutes later find and fix
Use windows update for drivers not bullshit you download on a random webpage you stupid fuck.
>>
>>51626745
>windows driver updates working ever
nice joke

it wouldnt even detect my generic realtek drivers, had to copy them over from a different computer using the hardware ID, which is what other guy shouldve done
>>
>>51626757
>it wouldnt even detect my generic realtek drivers, had to copy them over from a different computer using the hardware ID, which is what other guy shouldve done
Ok, now that is complete bullshit.
I updated 10 laptops now with realtek, broadcom atheros and whatnot, and every single one of them had all needed drivers included in windows update as soon as I had an internet connection going, stop spewing bullshit.
>>
File: windows_10.png (2 MB, 2846x1600) Image search: [Google]
windows_10.png
2 MB, 2846x1600
>>51621909

This is Microsoft's greatest OS yet? Really? Does anyone believe this, I mean even those amongst us paid to pretend otherwise?

This shit is cancer right now and it's free...you think anyone will willingly pay for it when their special promotion runs out?

We're watching Microsoft implode before our eyes. Their last memorable product will be an OS that literally becomes malware.
>>
>>51626734
>Nah, that's not why there's no manual. There are no tools implemented that need them, hence the lack of features.
>Lack of features
>billions of sources for windows software still complaining about lack of features
Does it hurt being that stupid?
>>
>>51626444
i'd rather remain anonymous anon
>>
>>51626829
Good plan, kinda sweet to see other guys on here though.
>>
>>51626793
No, but it has potential to be pretty good.

Once it hits a stable build somebody will release a no telemetry no update crack and the world will be whole.

Till then, windows 7.
>>
File: qt.jpg (157 KB, 469x696) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
157 KB, 469x696
>>51626855
> implying I'm not a nigger posting from Africa on my 2kbps internet.
>>
>>51625831
You leave your pc on at night?
For what reason?
>>
>>51621909
Most horrible file system naming scheme that exists, everything is almost arbitrarily named.
Usually years behind in features compared to other operating systems. (Got virtual desktops and some shitty excuse for a package manager just now, literally the year 2015)
Constant useless fucking UI refactoring that servers no useful purpose whatsoever and only manages to annoy its users.
Way of handling dynamic libraries bloats up the system beyond believe, 50gb for a simple windows VM to compile and port software ia not OK.
>>
>>51626971
yeah, but what really kills it is:
> lack of tabs on file explorer
>>
>>51626688
Apart from if I need to SSH into any of my linux machines for various projects.
>>
>>51621909
Bugs I'm experiencing and aren't yet fixed:
A lot of programs are blurry when using the option to have all your items bigger.
Fix: writing a cmd and set it to be launched every time at startup.

If you use two monitors and have the taskbar on autohide, the taskbar on the second monitor doesnt autohide.
Fix: Right click taskbar, search, hidden or right click, search, show. Switching options trigger the autohide to work.

These are my biggest pet peeves.

Other things I didn't like coming from 8:
I had all the stuff in the start page neatly grouped. After updating it became just a huge blob and had to divide things in groups from scratch.
Tiles background is the same color instead of inheriting the icon color, killing the ability to find a program at a glance.
Removed Win+C bringing up a neat big rectangle with time and battery and network info, without losing focus from the window you were using.
>>
File: 2015-12-01_091448.png (217 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-01_091448.png
217 KB, 1920x1200
>>51625273
REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000078 /f

Make a cmd file with these lines in it and name it whatever you like.
Use task scheduler to have it start when the pc boots up.
At least that's what I did. It's no excuse for Microsoft for not having fixed it yet, though.
>>
>>51626781
I didn't have any problems with my installation, but I set up hundreds of PC's a month with either Win7, 8 or 10. And while most of the time, the installation just go through with no problems, there is also many PC's where you are utterly fucked, because Windows can't find or install any generic drivers for the hardware, and you always end up fighting with the system to make it accept the official drivers.
At least now I have a list over which PC models that will cause problems, and a documented strategy to fix them.
>>
I also didn't have any problems so far, using it since the developer preview. But I also have to say, I hate the "multiple" settings. I prefer the old settings menu with the updated design, but the new one is just shit. Most time the update searching progress doesn't work on the first time. But to be honest, I prefer Windows 10 instead of any Windows version before. Windows 7 was great but the design wasn't that good. Everything between 7 and 10 was shit imho.
>>
>>51627149
>A lot of programs are blurry when using the option to have all your items bigger.
Fix: writing a cmd and set it to be launched every time at startup.

I just set the text size to 100% instead of the native 125%. Haven't had any problems with blurry texts since then.
But it's fucking stupid that they hide this option now, when it was readily available in Win 7 and 8.
>>
>>51626793
>Not using the Enterprise version
I pity the plebs who don't and won't have access to it.
>>
>>51627354
>I just set the text size to 100% instead of the native 125%.
Please explain.

I have been messing now with the settings to see if I missed something the first time I did, and still don't understand what are you talking about.

Also, I set the 125% mainly for reading the text easier since I'm nearsighted and glasses make everything look smaller.
>>
>>51627197
how do i make a cmd file?
>>
>>51627549
you write in notepad and save as cmd instead of txt, duh
>>
>>51627531
Right click on your desktop --> Display settings --> Advanced display settings --> Advanced sizing of text and other items --> Set a custom scaling level
>>
i'm using it in dual-boot and i had to install drivers for my ethernet manually. in 2015. what the fuck is wrong with MS? what do they even do with all of their money?
>>
File: didnt work.png (691 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
didnt work.png
691 KB, 1920x1200
>>51627571
Nope, as I remembered it didn't work.
>>
>>51627803
Hmm weird.
I had the same problem on my home laptop, home desktop and work laptop which is docked with two screens.
All I had to do was to change those settings and everything was fine and dandy.
>>
>>51628082
Maybe it has something to do with trying to keep the laptop screen on 100% and the second monitor at 125%
>>
>>51626781
lol, it really isn't dude

worked fine on my laptop, but my realtek drivers I keep in a zip folder on my external along with bios and others

deny it all you want, doesnt make it any less true how shitty the integrated drivers in windows are
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.