[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know nothing about programming, but I'm curious, why whenever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: VSdWFKg.jpg (281 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
VSdWFKg.jpg
281 KB, 1242x2208
I know nothing about programming, but I'm curious, why whenever you see people programming in media are they always doing it on an apple product?

Is there something about apple products that make them superior for programming or coding or whatever you call it?

Why is it always apple stuff?
>>
>americans
Lmao
>>
>>51611575
... me or the picture?

Because I'm from the UK.
>>
>>51611557
Better than Windows and easier than Gentoo. Dig enough and you will see them with Gentoo or something like NixOS.
>>
>>51611557
>lot's of people in media using apple products
>"hey kyle, we need a laptop for the hacking scene"
>"sure, steve, i'll just cover up the logo on my old macbook and we're ready to go!"
>>
>>51611591
But what makes it better than windows?

As far as I know, which is nothing, isn't it just the program you use to code?

And couldn't that program just have a windows version?
>>
>>51611557
Not superior, but it ticks all the right boxes. Great battery life(huge), decent build quality. OS X is posix-compliant, it doesn't shit the bed or get in your way. That's why it is so popular with devs and many people like jwz, icaza etc abandoned ship and bought a mac.

As far as why movies use macs it's simple. They are pretty and I think Apple has some kind of loaning agreement with production companies. At least that's what the House of Cards prop dude told me.

They don't pay for their products to be featured but they will give them away at no cost.
>>
>>51611584
That's even funnier.
>anglos
>>
>>51611611
Some programs don't have a Windows version, like Valgrind (or I never heard of it). There's also pretty gud shell and compilers, and it's easier to set up a environment.

I've seen much developers using Windows (for reasons only they know).

But it is, most of the time, business questions (Apple may give them money to use their products in public) or they just wanted an ultrabook and Macbooks are the best value/price.
>>
>>51611557
>alot has changed
>black dad isn't in the second picture
Should have expected it
>>
that picture top kek
>>
>>51611628
>>51611663
Say you were a programmer going for a job interview, would you be marked negatively for using windows instead?

>>51611650
You think that's bad, I'm actually welsh.
>>
>>51611675
Notice that there's a child, desu.
>>
>>51611705
Why would I be marked negatively for using Windows ? I always heard things like that from my friends but never understood them. If I'm competent enough why would they care about which OS I'm using ?
>>
>>51611711
Exactly my point.

Black dad abandons child with mother, now he has to pay child support.
>>
File: 1404299469600s.jpg (7 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
1404299469600s.jpg
7 KB, 250x231
Every CS related professor at my university uses a macbook.
dunno why
>>
>Fully UNIX compliant OS
>Just about everything works out of the box
>Things break more rarely than on other UNIX/POSIX compliant OS's
>Genuinely good battery life
>Decent keyboards
>Decent screens
>Decent build quality

Basically OSX and Linux strive towards a lot of the same things, but in a number of aspects OSX does a better job than Linux due to being one product with one desktop environment and fairly little in terms of under-the-bonnet customization.
>>
>>51611752
>now he has to pay child support.
Yeah, the taxpayers do it for him cause he a good boy he dindu nuffin he needs mo money for them programs.
>>
>>51611743
I honestly don't know, but I feel like they'd discount you for using the "inferior" product
>>
>>51611628
>posix-compliant

What the fuck do you guys care about this? Are you saying it just to make macs look better? Whoever uses this?
>>
>>51611761
Same here anon.

Then again the cs site for my uni literally says labtop on it
>>
File: 1411679577738.png (159 KB, 472x445) Image search: [Google]
1411679577738.png
159 KB, 472x445
>>
>>51611844
Linux is posix-compliant too. What are you on about? Are you confusing that with UNIX certification?
>>
Apple gives free shit to studios if they plop their machines on-camera.

Remember Zoolander?
>>
File: zoolander_imac_1.jpg (21 KB, 400x251) Image search: [Google]
zoolander_imac_1.jpg
21 KB, 400x251
>>51612246
unfortunately i do
>>
>>51611752
>implying I'm not the one taking the picture
>>
>>51611675
Black men are like magnetically repulsed by children, but only their own. I have literally never seen a black man with his own child, have you?
>>
>>51611752
>black man
>pay child support
Oh, to be so naive
>>
>>51612006
>Linux is posix-compliant too
Not with SystemD

>inb4 systemd isn't the unix way meme

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Poettering#Controversies

>Poettering has advocated speeding up Linux development at the expense of breaking compatibility with POSIX and other Unix-like operating systems such as the BSDs. He took this decision because of his experience in writing some other low-level components in the desktop stack.
>>
>>51612246
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRZ03SFB68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsiXfW75598
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

The desperation is real
>>
File: 02020.jpg (99 KB, 1008x1197) Image search: [Google]
02020.jpg
99 KB, 1008x1197
>>51611557
>you see their tired face from rising children
>>
So apple products aren't actually as common as they seem in programming?

Do people actually use windows or just apple and Linux?
>>
>>51612785
Depends on the sector.
Big corporate software is lots of wangblows .NET shit.
All of Silicon Valley uses Macs.
>>
>>51612785
They are extremely common especially in SF/SV.

In fact I'd say that the vast majority of people I know use macs. The others typically use Linux. Almost nobody but corporate, cubicle jockey code monkeys use Windows. Which is what most .NET programmers are.
>>
>>51612785
>Do people actually use windows
generally only if they're doing VB/.NET
>>
>>51611752
A fraction of nothing is still nothing.
>>
>>51611611
Windows is not an UNIX environment
>>
Currently thinking of switching from ubuntu to debian cause my macbook doesn't play nice with the internet. Is it ubuntu or the macbook.
>>
>>51612785
>Do people actually use windows

.Net/VB programmers do and they are the McDonalds "chefs" of the programming world.

So unless your name is Rajesh and you bought your wife with a goat, do yourself a favor and stick with Linux or OS X.
>>
Not OP, I want to get into programming and don't want to use a Macshit. What do?
>>
>>51611843

Well if you're going for a specific job like developing an ios app, it would make sense.

If it's something like Web Development, listing a proficiency in all major OS' makes the most sense whatever your personal preference may be.
>>
File: 1353121029813.png (260 KB, 505x482) Image search: [Google]
1353121029813.png
260 KB, 505x482
>>51612632

Now that you mention it I notice that seems to be a disproportionate issue amongst black men in the US as compared to other demographics. Anyone else remember that scene where Will Smith cried on Fresh Prince when they touched on father issues and his tears were real? It's like a vicious circle akin to that of child abuse being passed down through a family.
>>
>>51612971
install gentoo
>>
>>51611611
>>>51611591
>As far as I know, which is nothing, isn't it just the program you use to code?

No. Not just the "program" as you call it (heh, so windows), but the build environment as well.

You won't be compiling shit with GCC and Clang on Windows. If you build services that run on Linux for your job, then you either want to run OSX or a Linux distribution on your laptop so you can actually do shit on it.

Plus, Homebrew.

Oh also your employer will probably want you to use company wide chat and conference call tools like Slack and related, which OSX supports better in general than Linux will. If that doesn't matter to you, by all means throw arch or something on a thinkpad instead.
>>
>>51612971
>Not OP, I want to get into programming and don't want to use a Macshit. What do?
Install arch or gentoo, or anything Linux really. Just don't install Windows. Thank me later.
>>
>>51612623
But who was photographing the first?
>>
>>51612684
you forgot the under the dome.
Like the entire series is like this
example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbcjN_zC_e8
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.