[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens when Bitcoins are no longer being minted, but people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: zUhi2Db - Imgur.jpg (36 KB, 600x406) Image search: [Google]
zUhi2Db - Imgur.jpg
36 KB, 600x406
What happens when Bitcoins are no longer being minted, but people still lose them? From HDD crashes to stupid mistakes, eventually won't the supply of Bitcoins be damaged by their inevitable (and accidental) destruction?
>>
>I'm retarded
>>
If you're talking about losing private keys, the only solultion is for Core devs to increase the max # of Bitcoins in circulation, but we shouldn't have to worry about that for a while.
>>
>>51603241
Value explodes.
Though obviously everyone will move to another coin first, one that uses constant-inflation and PoS (or PoR).
>>
>>51603341
Are the core devs capable of doing that?
>>
>>51603357
So is this the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be abandoned by all its users for another coin?
>>
>>51603369
I don't see why they wouldn't be.
>>
>>51603385
Someone could fork bitcoin to support PoS like they're forking bitcoin v.s. bitcoinxt right now, but it's probably going to be better to move to a coin with intrinsic value (namecoin, filecoin, ethereum, safecoin, etc.) anyway, and modern coins have a lot of interesting improvements that would be hard to backport to bitcoin.
>>
From my understanding, this isn't an issue since you can have a transaction with varying precision. Something like 3.1415926 bitcoins would work.
>>
>>51603441
You end up with floods of 0.00000000000001 btc transactions which are both awful to get the right amount of 0 to not 10xspend (or worse!) and fucks the network performance as there's not enough margin to pay the network for the transaction. Moreover, you need a modified client because the default client has a hardcoded minimum donation to the network if the transaction is not between so and so amount of information.
>>
>>51603241
>eventually won't the supply of Bitcoins be damaged by their inevitable
"Eventually" here is much longer than the foreseeable future.
>>
>>>/biz/
You had your chance to infect the board two years ago.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.