[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I install this? I'm on a 2001 Macbook Pro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
Should I install this?

I'm on a 2001 Macbook Pro
>>
*2011, fuck
>>
File: bretty gud.gif (29 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
bretty gud.gif
29 KB, 482x800
>El Clapistan
>>
runs ok on my mbp 2011, just do a clean install rather than upgrade.
>>
>>51601955
I just installed it on a 2009 MBP. Works fine.
>>
I have it on 2009 MBP, it works well.

Depends on what you already have desu, if you're running anything later than Mountain Lion, then definitely upgrade.
>>
ITT: closeted homosexuals
>>
>>51602960
mac users are gay rofl xddd
>>
>>51601955
It's fucked my system up, 2015 mbp here. Don't bother for a couple months. Battery life is gone to shit, and 2 of the 3 new 'features' don't work
>>
>>51601955
if you have 2gb or over ram then yeah do it otherwise no
>>
>>51603829
No shit sherlock he wouldn't be able to install it on less than 2 gb anyway.
>>
>>51601955
Yeah it's pretty nice.

'Metal' makes everything waayy snappier.
The UI got a bit less flat.
Dual app thing is kinda cool but I still just use moom. Actually, you can hide the menu bar now so there's that.
>>
Dear mac users, if I wanted to buy a shitty mac to get in and learn the OS, what's the cheapest most non shit one I should look for?

I understand the mbp's from the core 2 duo era are pretty legit, but still pricey?
>>
>>51606196
2009-2010 MacBook should do you well, aim for this if you can.

El Capitan will run on Macs from 2007 too so if you really want to cut costs you can look for those too.

A 2007 one might be slow but the 2009-2010 ones will be able to run El Capitan decently.
>>
>>51601955
Yes. It's much faster than Yosemite in my experience (2012 MBP). El Capitan and Mavericks are about the same speed for me, so you won't lose much performance either.
>>
>>51606196
>learn the OS

Depends what you mean by that.

If you just mean "learn the basics of unix" then any clone will do (eg linux).

If you mean the internals of osx itself, ie the mach micro kernel etc then as others have suggested 09/10 macbook will do.
>>
File: 2EZAMpt.jpg (1 MB, 3072x4096) Image search: [Google]
2EZAMpt.jpg
1 MB, 3072x4096
el cap is great if your machine can run it

lucky me stuck with a 2007 macbook (black)

can't run shit above 10.7.5

so ubuntu it is
>>
>>51606196
VM
>>
>>51601955
yep
>>
File: 1446131348850.jpg (38 KB, 680x793) Image search: [Google]
1446131348850.jpg
38 KB, 680x793
>>51607302
OS X can run on VM?
>>
>>51606196

if you want mobile:
a macbook pro with a 64bit EFI and CPU -- this is important as even the older 64bit "core 2 duo" macbooks are NOT able to run 10.11. your best bet is a unibody macbook pro (the aluminum ones without a million screws).

if you want a desktop:
a cheap old mac pro (1,1) can be "hacked" with pikeralpha's boot.efi to boot 10.11 (advantage being you can upgrade the ram and vid and other parts cheaply) -- or you can pickup a decent-ish mac mini for ~$200
>>
>>51607341
Yes, I'd recommend that before buying anything.
>>
Would upgrading OS X wipe my Bootcamp partition?
>>
>>51607408
No
>>
>>51606196
list of supported models for latest OS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_El_Capitan#System_requirements
others will work unofficially
>>
2010 here, came straight from yosemite
10/10 would enjoy colours again
>>
File: bbb.jpg (104 KB, 827x546) Image search: [Google]
bbb.jpg
104 KB, 827x546
>>51607363
>>51607341

>using Os X without specific hardware, losing most of the gestures that make it more comfy than windows
>making someone who never used a Mac experience the castrated toyish Os X that Apple gives you when you buy it, before making it a decent system
>making someone who used Windows for his whole life experience a normie-proof version of a system deprived of its better features
>he'll judge Os X and Macs by doing so

Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
I have a feeling that my mac is running, and always have been, slower than it should be

however, I have no other indications than my own subjective experience with minor things like browsing, using finder etc

is there anyway to benchmark it to make sure something isnt wrong with it?
>>
>>51602960
HAHAHAHA lol where can i upvote xD
>>
I installed it on a 2010 MacBook Air, it was shit. Apps crashed every once in a while and there's no significant performance improvement besides animations being a little more fluid. Literally a meme OS: like Yosemite 10.10.0, everybody was saying it's good, but when you fell for the meme and actually installed it, it was shit. I had a Time Machine backup, so I reverted back to 10.10.5, which is pretty stable and trusty right now (besides Preview.app which is slow as fuck).

Your mileage may vary, but if you're going to upgrade make a Time Machine backup to go back if needed.
>>
>>51603250
>>Battery life is gone to shit, and 2 of the 3 new 'features' don't work

You've done something wrong, or you're just full of shit.
>>
>>51611167
>he fell for the install el capitan meme
>>
>>51607346
You can also upgrade the xeon chips in a Mac Pro
>>
Best OS ever made. Prove me wrong without memes.
>>
>>51611412
Yosemite was alright
>>
>>51611412
The burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
>>
>>51611466
UNIX
Runs the best software
Great ui
Graphics not glitchy and jumpy
No adware shit built in
Free
>>
>>51611524
We're talking about El Capitan here, not about OS X in general. Also you're just throwing out claims without backing them, and some of them are very subjective, like "great ui" or "runs the best software". Sorry but you failed miserably.
>>
Apple users need a capitan, because they can't handle their stuff themselves.
>>
linux is free as in beer and freedom. I'm not shilling money for proprietary spyware
>>
>>51606196
Get a late 2008 macbook off ebay (the aluminum one) and throw in an SSD and 4GB of RAM if it doesn't have it already.
>>
>>51611676
At least our captain isn't sending and selling our data without permission to nobody knows who.
>>
File: Disgusting.jpg (81 KB, 259x383) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.jpg
81 KB, 259x383
>>51611524
>Free
Not as in freedom it's not.
I believe the word you were looking for is "gratis".
>>
>>51610394
I don't know about that but you can speed up the OS by switching off spotlight indexing and upgrading RAM. Helps a hell lot!
>>
>>51612117
lol nice
>>
>>51612117
>that we know of
>>
File: browsers.png (542 KB, 958x1182) Image search: [Google]
browsers.png
542 KB, 958x1182
>>
Install English
>>
>>51601955
this really don't belong on /g/ you should go on some other board if you are looking to kill yourself
>>
>>51613126
>botnet is pretty much true, everybody knows google
>Almost nobody uses opera, so it's also almost true
>benchmarks don't lie, Firefox is (/has been) indeed slower
>Explorer has problems loading html5, flash, crashes, and it's not fully compatible with many websites
>"homo" means literally nothing to begin with for a browser

>people have to make things up to shit on Apple stuff, or they just can't

thank you
>>
What a language.

Fottn Förfürf brâmfschnúrf blembbribrompf
>>
>>51613074
You know there are ways to know when your pc is sending data right
That's exactly how we know W10 is doing it even if you told it not to
>>
>>51601955

I didn't install it yet bcs I didn't want to loose cs6 programs also animation and daw programs may not be optimized yet.

my advice is look up if your programs and apps work fine on it and make sure you make a time machine copy before you install it!
>>
everyone i've heard that has done an upgrade from a previous version of OS X (myself included) has had issues with el capitan. my computer takes twice as long to boot, has visual artifacts sometimes when moving windows around, and some add ons like my CPU and memory meter don't work at all anymore. my mouse didn't work at first either so i had to dig out an old wired one and install the drivers for my wireless mouse again.

clean installs seem to work fine.
>>
>>51602960
Name a better Consumer OS than OS X.
>inb4 Hobby OS
>Using any Microsoft botnet products

You just haven't seen the light anon.
>>
>>51615122
also my copy of ableton live 9 will only open once after a reboot. from then on, i have to right click the app, show package contents, then navigate to the live executable and launch it that way. p annoying.
>>
>>51615115
funny how i can run windows 95 programs on my windows 10 laptop without worry

CS6 doesn't work on your latest service pack?
programs need to be re-optomized?

fucking wow
>>
>>51615131
Don't reply to faggots please
>>
>>51615157
It's strange actually, I never had this kind of problem since Os X left the powerpc architecture.
>>
>>51606196
Get mac mini, specs depend on your budget. The entry model is pretty affordable. I'd recommend 8GB RAM model.
>>
>>51615157

Well there were some programs, apps, drivers... which aren't working when it was first released but I didn't want to bother so much so I decided that I won't upgrade my main machine. so I didn't check afterwards.

there was actually a list. here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-el-capitan-working-not-working-apps.1890772/

I have a few daws, cs6, artrage, a few other apps but more importantly I have to keep my workflow as smooth as possible. I don't care about if OS has better animations or flat icons. I have a pretty good system as it is.
>>
>>51602066

>not 'LE clapistan'
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.