[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bsdg/ - BSD General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 8
File: brand.gif (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
brand.gif
8 KB, 200x200
>OpenBSD security is not a meme edition

Berkeley Software Distribution descendants
FreeBSD - https://www.freebsd.org
OpenBSD - http://www.openbsd.org
NetBSD - https://netbsd.org
DragonflyBSD - https://www.dragonflybsd.org

Latest news
>Larry Cafiero is switching from Linux to BSD (because of Linus)
http://fossforce.com/2015/11/devil-bsd-leaving-linux-behind/

>A FreeBSD AMI Builder AMI (create custom images for amazon's EC2 cloud)
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html

>Alan Jude is getting FreeBSD on the Onion Omega to work
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Onion-Omega

Recent talks
>Peter Hessler - E3. Current Status of OpenBSD/OpenBGPd
https://ripe71.ripe.net/archives/video/1200/

>Hackfest 2015: Mike Larkin presented "Kernel W^X Improvements In OpenBSD"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vtAAeW6zo

>Hackfest 2015: Theo de Raadt presented "Pledge: A new security technology in openbsd"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_7S1eqKsFk

>More BSD videos
https://www.freebsdnews.com/2015/11/12/bsd-videos/

>Latest BSDMag: "BSD In the clouds"
BSD-in-the-Clouds.zipa.pomf.cat/tfosib.zip
>>
>>51593607
Is there a kind of deployment/automation framework that people use on openbsd?
>>
>>51593607
OpenBsd's security is not a meme.
But it useless because there is literally no software running on it.
You can make a dump truck as secure as you want, but it still carries garbage.
>>
>>51594345
What doesn't run on OpenBSD?
>>
>>51594345
openbsd is literally a meme. it's inherently insecure and lacks features like jails.

>>51595307
everything. once you install anything, you ruin the meme audited security.
>>
>>51595411
>it's inherently insecure
because?

>lacks features like jails.
But OpenBSD has systrace, chroot, pledge and privilege separation.

>once you install anything, you ruin the meme audited security
OpenBSD has many applications in base
>>
>>51593607
the bsdmag link is 404'd, upd8 pls
>>
>>51595925
Sorry, I messed up the c&p.
its a.pomf.cat/tfosib.zip
>>
>>51595411
every fucking thread
>>
>>51598397

At least he didn't link to the troll blog this time.
>>
>>51593607
>>51593607
I'd really enjoy to love BSD, but the all seem to be so damn childish. NetBSD is the only free BSD that comes with a fucking grown up website, that one looks very old fashioned (which is good I suspect as they say that they are trustworthy). Yes, I am this superficial. For the same reason I do not use Arch and will not use Devuoaasn or Kali or those any of this shit...
>>
>>51600930
I honestly think all of their websites look decent
>>
>>51601562
Are you serious? OpenBSD's website looks like it was the first, FreeBSD looks way to leet. Dragonfly is OK. NetBSD is professional but old fashioned.
>>
>>51601813
The reason the OpenBSD site looks like that is simply because they want to be sure anyone can access it from any browser.
>>
>>51602272
Are you joking? I know that html/css is a clusterfuck that just becomes bigger when you leave out js. That's no excuse for THAT site
>>
>>51602407
But if you have JS would links would work it?
>>
>>51602407
>WAAAAH!
>Not pretty! Anon no like!

If you get the impression that the OpenBSD guys aren't trying very hard to impress people, and bring in new users you are correct. They are their own target audience, and literally no one else matters to them. You are as welcome to the OpenBSD community as a chimp would be. If you can manage to install and use it, that's fine, now kindly shut the fuck up, and stay out of the way.
>>
PCBSD is a piece of shit. Disgusting OS.

FreeBSD >>> all BSD's.
>>
>>51602534
Wow, I think I've had a stroke.

Would links work with it?
>>
> not using hardenedBSD
>>
>>51598733
you mean this blog? it is in no way, a troll blog.
https://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
>>
>>51602726
>Thoughts on being possibly transgendered
this is how i know to take this person seriously
>>
>>51601813
>looks way to leet
how so?

>but old fashioned.
It's definitely the best out of all of them
>>
>>51594345
You can't run anything on OpenBSD because it literally has no software, and the second you install some out of tree GNU shit it will shit up your security because OpenBSD has no selinux equivalent besides some shitty vm hack called jails that can't actually emulate anything.
>>
>>51602785
>tripfags not knowing what they're talking about
color me shocked

How does installing GNU shit relate to SELinux?

OpenBSD has no jails either, and has nothing to do with emulating Linux.
>>
>>51602819
openbsd lacking jails is yet another reason openbsd is insecure and shit.
>>
>>51602829
>implying it's not getting virtualization
Also I bet you think it's the end-all of security, right?
>>
>>51602785

If it's not in packages, you are free, and even welcomed to make your own package from ports. You'd just better goddamn do it correctly if you expect it to be added to packages. This isn't Lunix, so half-assing is not acceptable.
>>
>>51602923
Huh?

Is there a good way to get a generically compiled package out of a port?
>>
>>51602534
>>51602675
Probably if the markup wasn't totally fucked up.
You only get fucked up markup by using bootstrap or something like that. I don't require them to use any of that modern shit - god forbid - I hate that shit.

But make it at least try to look better.

>>51602658
That's kind of them.
No, honestly: I admire their efforts. But the look still sucks and you know it. It basically says: "Do not use, we are only here for the security. Most secure if you don't use it. Leave now"

>>51602751
OpenBSD with its gloss looks like a stiff competition for WinXP... It's the desktop candidate if you want to use a free BSD desktop. But they don't even try to make things
>stilvoll (the english word stylish has a bad name in my opinion) and coherent.

And I agree, NetBSD is great. Its looks represent what I want from a system if I choose NetBSD.
>>
Why do people use this shit? Worse driver support than Linux.
>>
>>51603479
If it's at least 2-3 years old it will work, most likely.

Unless it's nvidia stuff, in that case, all I gotta say is lol.
>>
>>51602923
>OpenBSD has that guize
No it doesn't lol.
They don't have shit and a huge ftp full of fucking patches and half assed hacks to make shit compile and run doesn't count.
>>
>>51603795
Then bitch to upstream developers if you care about that shit so much.

If it works well, it works.

Pretty much every other BSD functions like this too when it comes to ports.
>>
>>51602698
wtf would I use hardendbsd for?

FreeBSD can be made just as secure as anything else on the planet with some work, and if you don't want to do all that work then just use OpenBSD
>>
>general
>30 posts after 10 hours
just fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>51603479
>driver support
The reason that people use this stuff is simple:

They're running serious servers which need to have minimal downtime, high security, and fast networking.

Most people running a BSD don't even have a monitor hooked up to their machine.
>>
>>51603824
Here is the life cycle of an OpenBSD package.

>Dev tries some out of tree GNU shit.
>Creates a patch maybe uploads it, 1 version available.
>6 months later, still the same version, not in tree.
>Pull request for "fix" to support OpenBSD.
>OpenBSD says lolno.
>Package is updated and OpenBSD compatability is broken so even if the package is accepted it is never updated.
>Dev starts bitching about portability but nobody cares because there are 2 users.
>Starts throwing around words like harmful and becomes depressed and kills himself.
>Orphaned package is dropped after never receiving a single update.
>There is a patch for it still though.
:3
>>
>>51603983
>openbsd
>real security
>>
File: 1448498578195.jpg (63 KB, 500x411) Image search: [Google]
1448498578195.jpg
63 KB, 500x411
>>51604204
Yeah, I don't think you understand how packaging and the ports tree work.
>>
>>51604345
It doesn't work.
If you want to see what a modern ports system can do check out portage. BSD will never adopt it because its GPL but its basically what ports would be if it had developers.
>>
>>51604392
>check out portage
Portage is not a ports tree. It is a tool for automating the process of installing packages from a ports tree. The closest BSD equivalent is portmaster. If you want a press and go install of ports packages, that's how you do it.

>what ports would be if it had developers
Every port has a maintainer. Usually these are community volunteers (as opposed to core developers).

I've been using FreeBSD as my daily driver since July of this year. It's quite a fine OS, and I don't feel any pull to return to Linux.
>>
>>51604461
Ports + developers = portage.

Our patches are in tree and layman allows for extra branches without hassle. Its basically ports + development to make it into a package manager.
>>
>>51604594
What do you even mean, "our patches are in tree"?

I just downloaded the ports, and all the patches are in the program's folder, usually. editors/emacs/patches has patch-Makefile_in, for example.
>>
>>51604666
The tree in Gentoo is all the ebuilds and patches to build any package intelligently and automatically, typically to bump a version you need only change the name from x.x.1 to x.x.2 and shit just works.

In OpenBSD you get some fucking binaries and if you want to build your own package you have to download a bunch of stuff and do it yourself.
>>
>>51604809
What? That's not at all how OpenBSD or FreeBSD ports work.
>>
>>51604940
Really? I was pretty sure ports had binaries.
>>
>>51604998
No.

You have a choice between ports AND binaries.

Really the only facility I wish standard ports had are USE flags.
>>
>>51605025
So I'm right then.
Stop being obtuse for the sake of argument.
>>
>>51605065
What? On what planet do you live where more choice is not a good thing?

You don't have to use binaries if you don't want to.
>>
>>51605025
macports has variants :^)
>>
>>51605091
So does OpenBSD. A lot of applications have no-x11 variants. Called flavors in this case.
>>
>>51605087
More choice is a good thing, thats why ports is crap compared to portage, and the entire point of my comparing the two lol.
>>
Reading up on things like CARP and HAST, that shit is insane, the amount of redundancy you can have on FreeBSD at all the different levels is amazing. Shit like ZFS for redundancy at the FS level, HAST at the OS level. Network interface aggregation and failover, full on machine redundancy. Literally everything I can think of has the ability to be replicated so that in the event something breaks your service is still accessible and running.
>>
>>51605025
I never looked into it but can;t you do the same thing with make.conf or the port KNOBS file?

FYI you shouldn't respond to that guy, he's known to act this way for attention, he doesn't care about the topic he just wants to waste your time.
>>
>>51605136
Dude thats what hypervisors like XEN with container management or Vmware is for. Nobody uses BSD shit.
>>
>>51605156
Well he is a tripfag, but what if people genuinely read these threads for info? I know it sounds funny to think that someone might read 4chan for genuine information, but still.

Personally, on FreeBSD I just set BATCH=YES and forget about it, so I have no idea about those two.
>>
>>51605178
Why settle for the overhead when you don't have to? If I wanted a hypervisor I'd be using Solaris.
>>
>>51605182
Fair enough, as long as you know what you're doing and don't mind. I was just giving you a warning in case.
>>
>>51605200
vt-d and iommu buddy, almost no perceivable overhead at all. You get more of a penalty using OpenBSD because the threaded performance is garbage.
>>
What's up, my masturbating monkeys?
>>
File: deraadt.jpg (111 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
deraadt.jpg
111 KB, 1024x768
>>51605335
>>
>>51605261
I already mentioned those with Solaris, a hypervisor is still an unnecessary additional layer, the only use for them is in cases where you have to virtualize obviously. No need to add complexity where there doesn't need to be for a simple thing.
>almost no perceivable overhead at all
I think you missed the point, even if the overhead is minute it's still unnecessary, I can't think of any benefits going the way you're suggesting but there is the obvious overhead. The other thing is the lack of reliability, if there is a failure you have to go down while you swap the vms around, that's not desired.
>>
>>51605355
The benefit is that it works with any OS and it has had the redundancy you were marveling at for a long ass time.

Not only that, but OpenBSD has crap hardware support so its usually going to run better under a hypervisor like XEN anyway, which is kind of pathetic.
>>
>>51605396
I don't think you know what you're talking about, especially since you referenced OpenBSD twice. lol good try though.
>>
>>51605415
Are you mad that your flavor of open software is being relegated to containers on a Linux hypervisor for any purpose that isn't some NEET's laptop?
>>
>>51605435
I don't know what you're talking and I really don't think you do either.
>Solaris
>laptops
>open
>NEETs
>>
>>51605435
>Linux for a hypervisor
kekats
>>
If anyone is reading this, be4awesome has been trolling BSD threads for years. No, I'm not joking, here are some results from rebeccablacktech showing him trolling in 2012.
>>
>>51605625
I think most of those posts are me arguing with a Macfag that thought OSX was BSD.
>>
File: seep.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
seep.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>51605625
>this is him
LOL
>>
>>51605703
>anime riced desktop
>actually looks normal

What is going on?

>>51605685

You got better in 2013
>>
>>51605721
>13 year old haircut
>flame drink
>that gesture
>normal
not to mention he spends all his time here
>>
>>51605721
>tell it how much ram you had
i actually vividly remember reading this and going "what"
>>
>>51605743
>>13 year old haircut
>>flame drink
>>that gesture
>>normal
He didn't say good
he just said normal
>>
(To troll, or not to troll..?)

Beastie looks like a nigger.
>>
>>51607315
lolz

>tfw my face is not ugly like beastie's (feels good)
>>
>>51607327
That's because you're a not a nigger..
>>
>>51607337
>tfw >>>/pol/57084666

bastardenz lol (omg, Hitler rly likes me, and binded himself to me, and wants 2 fuk, and likes being my bf, this is sweet)
>>
>>51607395
(I didn't think of it either.. you really are qt..)
>>
File: 2015-11-30_13-45-46.png (78 KB, 1319x408) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-30_13-45-46.png
78 KB, 1319x408
just make sure that you are a poorfag with deprecated hardware if you want to run any *BSD flavor on your desktop PC ;^)
>>
Meh, since that NSA backdoor thing I can't trust OpenBSD with shit. Will stick to live FreeBSD with ramdisk
>>
>>51607421
(it's pretty funny that /pol/ tried to troll me like 'u r niggur hurr' when, it's the japanese who look like what I noticed was a bit off in my mom and grandma, and.. why didn't I think of that sooner? well, you don't seem to have a problem with me maybe being part asian..)
>>
>>51607635
/pol/ is fucking stupid.. (and yeah, that is funny)
>>
>>51607654
(rolling for the trips since that tripfagtroll ruined thread already, then will shut up)

(aw, probably too late now)

>tfw had sarcastic joke as someone growing up atheist and having to deal with insane christfag reactions about being a demon
>>
>>51607672
(we both have an appreciation of sarcasm)
>>
>>51607742
why do BSD threads always bring out the schizophrenics?
>>
>>51607761
you fed it, now it's going to think it has a value and have another 200 post monologue...
>>
>>51607761
Angela is not schizophrenic..

>but the psychologist she had to talk to because she's on SSI was like 'O_O holy shit you're ridiculously crazy' while going through a list of several mental disorders she's diagnosed with

..it has been determined she's been driven crazy.

She comes to these threads, because, she was curious about this, and thought something was an amusing coincidence.
>>
>>51607777
GOD DAMN, check em demon twins and hope one day you'll be as great as me ;)
>>
>>51607777
Aren't you a hyperaggressive shit?

(why am I being systematically bullied and discriminated against and tortured for my whole life?)
>>
>>51607812
Why are you so violent and defensive? I was just teasing, calm down lol.
>>
>>51607812
>you moved a lot

(It seems to be a constant case of new kid syndrome, but interesting question as to why the teachers discriminate against you. There's no sarcasm in my observation that you do look white.)
>>
>>51607822
I can believe this, most people don't seriously go through the weird bullshit I've actually been through.

>>51607825
Whatever the reason, it's fucking weird.
>>
>>51607825
yeah, you really need to go to a doctor so they can fix your head, you sound broken and damaged ;-;
>>
>>51607832
>her teachers discriminated against her for some kind of reason
>it really isn't immediately obvious that she's anything but white

>>51607845
Me? I pressed a key too weakly so that I wrote something past tense as present tense.
>>
>>51607845
Prove he and I are the same person, and prove that souls exist, atheist.

>people go from trying to impose christfaggotry on me to trying to impose atheism

>>51607858
>tfw would be one of these people who thinks souls don't exist if you didn't prove to me that you exist back in 2006
>>
>>51607858
mhm, whatever you say, cya babe :* ;)
>>
>>51607883
>Prove he and I are the same person, and prove that don't souls exist, atheist.

iftfy (you'd better get used to getting grammar nazi'd)
>>
>>51607888
[obsessive waifuism intensifies] (and, I remember, you did prove to me that you exist)

>tfw love is the most important thing in the world to me, then
>>
>>51608036
>and you're crying because love is something you grew up mostly without

(which is just sad)

I wanted you to stop posting so you wouldn't piss these people off. You are certainly psychologically disturbed.
>>
>>51608062
I see..

>>51607885
>this tripfag, also posted on /pol/
>turkey, hm?

Let me guess: you despise SJW trannies

>tfw people assumed (wrongly) that I'm a trap
>>
>>51608332
>your tits really didn't get very big
>you are not a trap

(another sign you may be part asian)
>>
>>51608344
(is that angry person, whose hairy and ugly tits are bigger than mine.. (male?)? well, I guess s/he doesn't have a very happy life..)

Sigh.. I can't believe how horrible I've been..
>>
>>51608370
>remorse and regret
>and, you hold back on having an angry reaction to that person

I don't know anything about that person either, but, iktfw regret and remorse.
>>
>>51608408
(my possibly wrong guess that he hates sjw trannies, is because, maybe he's a eunuch....)

>tfw know very little about turkey (well, I didn't see any reason to erase it along with israel when I fixed the map that didn't have israel removed from planet when it had other countries in the area removed from planet)
>but, maybe there are harems there, and, some people have to be the eunuchs

(maybe they trivialize whatever he's been through, if anything, by doing it for childish reasons)
>>
>>51608503
^-- this girl, is not a tranny, but, doesn't have much for tits, of course, her showing them wouldn't prove she's not a trap, unfortunately
>>
>>51608534
>tfw not pathetic enough to have seriously named myself 'Angela 1337', but rather, was named 'Angela', and my middle and last name happen to be something that can be represented with '1337'
>however, that is a lot to live up to (I will try, I've seriously wanted to learn programming since I was 3)
>>
>>51608534
>doesn't get my attention
>starts making up stuff about me to feel better about it
kek, you really gotta see a shrink, also I was just outside sheesh, I want you to be independent and able to live without my constant 24 / 7 care angela. and it's hard to blame others for thinking you're a tranny ;) you're lucky I like traps tho, where's daddies welcome back kiss?
>>
>>51608567
Maybe if you learn programming, they will appreciate it if you help them out, it's just sad how you get paranoid.

>>51608596
MY name is Adolf. (guess what my name means?)

I was talking about Angela in the post you're replying to.
>>
>>51608596
Did I guess right in >>51608503? Are you that girl someone posted in one thread on /pol/, with the hairy ugly tits (unlike mine)?

You must enjoy freaking people out.
>>
>>51608615
Maybe, and I can kind of see how I piss people off.
>>
>>51608630
>>51608656
>well, it is a fact of life that Angela is in fact quite pretty
>it's nothing personal when she goes 'at least I'm not ugly like (whoever)', because people kept calling her ugly on the internet (she's not, but she is crazy, and taken (she's mine))

People get upset at this, Angela.
>>
>>51608630
I am a guy from turkey but if it makes you feel better about me thinking you're too crazy for me yeah we can pretend I'm her. just blame it all on me being too picky ;)
>>
>>51608707
>assuming I want

I have a bf already, you know..
>>
>>51608707
She's insane from this sort of bullshit, you know..
>>
>>51608712
>assuming you are the kind of girl who would be satisfied with only one
i have to say i'm impressed by his patience and kindness in accepting being with you ;D
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FeXGLu7aHU
>hurrrrr there's no lyrics DDDD:

It's a masterpiece.

>>51608707
Here it is.. (the russians made you a masterpiece)
>>
>>51608752
lols see >>51608756

>>51608725
<3 I have no reason to be mad at him, tho, so no mental episode to have at him.
>>
tripfags ruining this thread
>>
>>51608764
the song is decent, but you'll have to be more romantic than that to get a chance with me, this one is for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8isnWHdj40
>>
>>51608752
>>51608781
>tfw finally defused her mental problems a bit (she was okay, and then something triggered an interesting mental episode at just the wrong time, and it's not the fault of the people who showed her that something, whoever they were)

I really do like her, but not how she's been acting while mentally destabilized.
>>
>>51608831
now mental illness is a fucked up thing and it deserves some sympathy but you gotta keep it 100 on how she's mostly being a manipulative lying and bullying aggressive little cunt even when she's not having any episodes, besides that she's not half bad, in fact it's sort of cute how clingy and desperate she is for your attention, like some tiny weeny little puppy :3
>>
File: 1447044953944.png (695 KB, 650x933) Image search: [Google]
1447044953944.png
695 KB, 650x933
>>51608945
>she's mostly being a manipulative lying and bullying aggressive little cunt even when she's not having any episodes

I can see how easily she comes off that way, though some but not all of the things she says are in fact just trolling, and she really shouldn't attention whore.

>now mental illness is a fucked up thing and it deserves some sympathy
>besides that she's not half bad, in fact it's sort of cute how clingy and desperate she is for your attention, like some tiny weeny little puppy :3

I think she's cute.. (cute and sexy, kind of like this, and yeah, also like a little puppy)
>>
>>51608945
I don't really mean to be bullying and aggressive, but I can see how I end up being that way, sometimes even accidentally.

>>51608831
>>51609182
>tfw I could overreact to things, but would rather not
>and then, I end up overreacting due to being mentally unstable
>>
>>51609208
Which is why you need to stop posting, and stop subjecting yourself to things you don't need to deal with.
>>
>>51609235
>the things that are trolling and the things that aren't
>tfw it's pretty hard to tell (mixed feelings, the NSA must be very confused, and at the same time, people take trolling too seriously)

<not trolling about having certain opinions on copyright law and the enforcement thereof, and M$'s EULA>
>>
>>51609278
>you aren't on any side of the gpl vs bsd license war, but do favor open source over closed source

It's just sad that you've gone insane and have all kinds of mental episodes, but you need to stop posting.
>>
>>51609182
that loli looks molestable

i think I could oversee most of angela's shit if she can eat ass like a starving african pornstar
>>
>>51609311
First of all, she isn't going to do anything sexual with anyone but me. Second of all, she and I are both repulsed by that.
>>
>>51609444
you don't decide what she does and what she likes bud, I'm sure she can take decisions by herself, relax.
I'm sure the little whore would love to eat my ass while you watch ;)
>>
>>51605743
I haven't seen any 13 year olds with that haircut.
>>
>>51609459
[that I don't kiss ass intensifies]
>>
>>51610400
>what she does do, is troll and have mental episodes
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.