[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pi zero
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: altoids.jpg (1010 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
altoids.jpg
1010 KB, 2000x1333
There needs to be a thread about this.
>>
There have already been 10 two days ago slug
>>
not much popularity until masses can play LoL and post on 4chan from it
>>
/sbg/ already died. We talked a lot about how the PC costs 5 dollars and how crap its ports are, to the point it costs almost the same price of a model b just to connect the shit on the internet using a keyboard.
>>
>>51582373
>There needs to be a thread about this.
Why are we not talking about this? Maybe because we already have over a dozen boards that compete in this space for under $50. Sure, they're not a low low $5, but it doesn't matter. With that much competition, and with most of the rest of them including things like ethernet, the pi zero isn't a big deal.
>>
>>51582501
I'm a rpi enthusiast, but this guy is correct. Raspberry is what it is just because dev support; there are plenty of other SBCs that are way better paying way less for components to make it work.
>>
It sucks ass. It has a single cpu core running at 1 GHz which is of use to fucking no one. I'd be surprised if this poor fuck could even render main profile h264 480p video. It also only has 512 MB of ddr2 ram which is pretty fucking useless for browsing more than a single tab on chrome.

I really don't see what use this cpu crippled raspberry pi could possibly have.
>>
>>51582373
>There needs to be a thread about this.
There have been several. In fact there is a 'single-board computer' thread right now.
>>
File: 74224623462.jpg (134 KB, 1032x579) Image search: [Google]
74224623462.jpg
134 KB, 1032x579
>>51582708
Raspberry Pi B sucks with h264 I can't imagine what this would do.
>>
>>51582746
At least model B had an Ethernet port.
>>
>>51582708
All of the Pis were never meant to be a desktop replacement. If you want even the RasPi 2 for that, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment. What they are for are makers, robotics, and educational purposes.
>>
Can a Raspberry Pi (any model) be used to learn how to code?
>>
>>51582906
>All of the Pis were never meant to be a desktop replacement. If you want even the RasPi 2 for that, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment. What they are for are makers, robotics, and educational purposes.
I can understand these things being used for educational purposes but not for robotics. Todays robots are complex and require faster processors than ever before at least if you want something that does more than play sounds and does scripted movements. I wouldn't use anything less than a raspberry pi 2 for robotics.
>>
Can it run fallout 4?
>>
>>51582975
lol no.
>>
>>51582975
>Can a Raspberry Pi (any model) be used to learn how to code?
Yes. Doesn't mean it's ideal though, and there's nothing on it for general coding you can't do on a normal computer. For interfacing with GPIOs, an arduino is probably easier to deal with. Find an online programming course or boot you can get into, and follow it through, even if it gets boring in the middle.
>>
>>51582975
Raspbian comes with scratch and other training wheels to learn programing. You can learn how to code on a regular desktop though.
>>
>>51583031
>>51583038
I am aware it is not ideal and I own desktops in good shape, but I think the thing is brilliant and I really need an excuse to have and use one of those.
>>
>>51583054
DO IT ANON!
I BELIEVE IN YOU!
>>
>>51582373
now i need to find a broken gameboy and a proper display with at least 480x320. anybody knows something like this driveable by HDMI? the adafruit thing works via GPIO and copying from the framebuffer is extremely cpu heavy...
>>
How does it connect to the internet?
>>
>>51583315
It doesn't lol
>>
>>51583054
>I think the thing is brilliant and I really need an excuse to have and use one of those.
No excuse needed. Buy one because you want one, and will enjoy it.
>>
>>51583315
>>51583521
USB adapter if needed.
>>
>>51583031
It would be good if a person were interested in ARM ASM. Perhaps even ASM in general, because ARM ASM isn't the huge fucking mess that x86 ASM is.

Of course there's also a MIPS SBC available, and MIPS is even more beginner friendly than ARM.
>>
File: lpc810.jpg (48 KB, 568x426) Image search: [Google]
lpc810.jpg
48 KB, 568x426
>>51583903
>It would be good if a person were interested in ARM ASM
Something like this may be better (may be) for starting ARM ASM development. LCP810. Tiny little through hole ARM microcontroller.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1336
>>
>>51583953
Well you probably won't find a much simpler system to work with.
>>
>>51582373
not really
Just another cheap piece of shit SoC
This would have been exciting years ago when there wasn't a huge market of old phones to reuse with much better specs
>>
Would it be a bad idea to use one of those single board computers as a sort of file server?

>Hook external HD to board
>Connect board to network
>Run SSH or VNC server on board
>Port forward to board

Now you can access your files from anywhere with an internet connection. Assuming the security is set up right what else can go wrong?
>>
>>51584817

yes it would be a horrible idea
>>
>>51584908
why?
>>
>>51584924
Because this is /g/ and unimaginative retards who drool over the latest overpriced, fad consumer electronics is who'll be answering your questions here. Rasberry Pi has a huge community, who are using it for exactly the sort of shit you are thinking to use it for. You'll find them to be much more helpful and encouraging.
>>
>>51584817
That's pretty much the most unimaginative thing you could have come up with. Also, it's what half of /g/ is doing already. further also, the pi sucks giant donkey balls for this task, as the usb and network interface share the same bus and thus the same bandwidth.
>>
>>51585194
So what better single board computer should I use instead?

The CHIP?
>>
>>51582373
stop with the astroturfing of this piece of feminist shit
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.