[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey could you guys remind me what Ruby on Rails is good for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: RubyOnRails.png (41 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
RubyOnRails.png
41 KB, 256x256
Hey could you guys remind me what Ruby on Rails is good for?
>>
>>51581928
Hating rails is one of the dumbest memes /g/ has. Rails is great; find me a better web framework with more useful plugins.
>>
Lots of webdevs are scared of this symbol ';', they lose speed (in serves a second) from using these sort of languages, so they'll never be able to create really busy sites.

>>51584255
Node.
C# if you'll include nuget
Go
All capable of over 2000 serves a second.

Exactly what plugins do you really need anyway? That's the worst thing about web dev, the sensationalism surrounding every new piece of software, gitgud and you wouldn't need it in the first place.
>>
>>51584255
Node, Laravel, Zend, maybe even Django.
>>
>>51584255
Literally fucking everything
>>
>>51584255
Vanilla PHP.

Seriously. It has everything you need for developing web applications, everything else is just a meme
>>
>>51587399
>everything else is just a meme
But those "memes" make me a lot of delicious consulting money.
I can charge 5x for Rails work what I would for PHP.
>>
>>51581928
writing a blog in less than 10 minutes.

literally nothing else
>>
>>51581928
It was easily 10x better than the alternatives from 2005 to 2010.
Nowadays, every language has it's own Rails clone, so if you don't like the Ruby language, just use your preferred language instead and its appropriate MVC framework.
>>
>>51587424
What kind of contracts do you land? I'd like to get into the business.
>>
>>51587570
Varies widely and the best are always those where the client was recommended to me by a mutual connection (past client, fellow dev, etc.). I do two types of work:

1. Freelancing, where I build an app requiring some custom business logic, often for a young web business (not necessarily a startup) or for an established non-web business who wants to grow via adding a web component. In some cases I might subcontract parts of the project such as design, depending on scope.

2. Consulting, where I charge five times as much as Freelancing to tell a business owner what they need done, write up a plan, and then they find someone cheaper to do it for them. Even though this is easier work, there's less of it and each contract nets me less hours, so I have to inflate the cost in order to make it worth my while. Also the "perceived value" factor is high with consulting: if you charge a lot, people will convince themselves that you were worth it, because no one wants to blow shit-tons of money and say "He gave okay advice." They want to say "It was great, we got our project off to an awesome start!"

But yeah, to my original point, you can charge more for Ruby (and Node as well these days) than anything else in my experience. But this is only for clients who really need apps with custom business logic. If it's something really generic (e.g. website for local small business, or some newly-formed ecommerce-whatever), you're not really looking to sell to these guys, as they're better off hiring someone cheap to set up Wordpress or Shopify for them.
>>
>>51584255
It's not a meme. I use it on occasion and I hate it. Too much hand holding is annoying as fuck.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.