[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Visual Studio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: mootandhismacbook.jpg (48 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
mootandhismacbook.jpg
48 KB, 600x800
Alright /g/, is Microsoft Visual Studio the best IDE when it comes to practicing C++ for a beginner? I've been looking at it looks like Visual Studio seems the best compared to Code blocks.
>>
>>51564528
Yes, Visual Studio is amazing.
It's also really bloated (packed with functionality if you need it, but minimal install size is 9GB for 2013, 2015 may be a bit less)
>>
>>51564650
Been using it for a bit but it took forever to install.
If I wanted one that wasn't bloated and had the bare essentials. What would you recommend?
>>
>>51565296
Notepad++
>>
No, the best is clearly and I mean c-l-e-a-r-l-y Qt Creator
>>
>>51565306
Do I need to add a compiler to it or something? I'm new to IDE's and such.
>>51565313
Never heard of QT Creator
>>
>>51566131

Don't listen to retards on here, the visual studio debugger will save you a lot of time
>>
>>51566152
I just want to start programming and practicing so I can get better and better. Thank you.
>>
No. Visual Studio's compiler, MSVC, has poor support for C++11 and C++14 features compared to gcc.

>>51566209

If you just want to start programming and practicing, why are you focusing on trying to learn an IDE? Just download gcc and start programming. How to compile?

g++ -std=c++14 -o yourprogram.exe yourprogram.cpp

Breaking it apart?
g++ # The compiler name
-std=c++14 # Use the C++14 standard
-o yourprogram.exe # Output file is yourprogram.exe.
yourprogram.cpp # Input file name. You can have multiple input files

Where can you download this?
http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/
>>
>>51566419
based Ruby
>>
jetbrains clion
>>
>>51564528
Visual Studio is terrible.

It's a pain in the ass to install and it's gargantuan.

Clang and GCC are widely considered to be higher quality compilers.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.