[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one? Both at $185
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: notashill.png (263 KB, 1318x401) Image search: [Google]
notashill.png
263 KB, 1318x401
Which one? Both at $185
>>
go with nvidia amd has no drivers
>>
>>51556391
desu wanted to post in this thread but someone did it for me
>>
>>51556361

The 380 unless you literally like getting keked.
>>
>>51556391
they just released the new crimson drivers, and their past drivers have been up to date enough, so thats kind of a shitty argument. I was hoping to get more opinions along the lines of how much does the memory bandwidth affect performance since that seems like the only discernable difference in these cards
>>
>>51556424
AMD kek go away
ree ree
>>
>>51556361
>buying any gpu <300 full price
You know you'll be upgrading again in a few months, right?
>>
I would honestly think the 380 since its 256 Gb/s and the 960 is only 128 Gb/s, plus the 380 is newer
>>
>>51556444
probably not, just for reference this is to replace my current gtx 650 (non Ti)
>>
>>51556444
I haven't had to upgrade my gpu in 2 years. Why would you upgrade every few months?
>>
I got that exact 380, with the back-plate.
It still runs really hot, and crashes constantly on Fallout because the drivers suck.

And of course , the alternative is
> NVIDIA
> 4gb

I'd suggest just buying a used pistol and killing yourself because the jews have ruined any chance of getting a decent video card this generation.
>>
>>51556484
what kind of temps you getting? I watched a lot of comparison reviews and they seemed to be in step with each other for temps, both idle at 31 C +-1 and both go up to around 75C +-3 for modern AAA titles on high/ultra

And why a used pistol and not just new?
>>
>>51556513
>And why a used pistol and not just new?
well I mean, if you're just going to use it one time, may as well not care if it's new or used
>>
>>51556457
You want a dedicated non-workstation GPU so i'm guess you're gaming. At the very least at 1080p/60fps and somewhat newer titles. Given the fact that both cards are struggling with achieving said goal even in months old releases, buying them right now, will put you so far behind the curve that those 185 bucks will buy you maybe a few months before you need to turn down the resolution to achieve even semi-steady 40fps at high settings.
>>
>>51556552
then what would you suggest for under $250? I've seen the 390 and even some 970s dip below it
>>
buy a used 290 insted.
>>
>>51556617
If you can get a new 390 or 970 for under 250 go for it but i would never recommend a 250 dollar GPU if you want it to last 2-3 years.
New GPU at regular retail: 350+
New CPU at regular retail: 250+
New MoBo at regular retail: 150+

Buying anything cheaper will just give you a headache.
>>
>>51556513
Yeah that's actually pretty close to what I got.
I guess that's the new normal?

I had to underclock and force the fans on full blast to be able to play for more than a few hours.
>>
>>51556361
The 380 is the overall better card, though not by much. That being said, AMD does treat their old cards better as time goes on compared to nvidia.
>>
>>51556484
>crashes constantly on Fallout because the drivers suck.
With Bethesdas steller reputation and all the forum posts stating that it's a buggy piece of shit, what makes you blame the drivers instead of the game?
>>
>>51556702
Why, just a case of you get what you pay for?
>>
>>51556704
What're your ambient temps like? Airflow?

>>51556712
Yeah I think this coupled with the fact that its currently the newer one will make it last about a year more than the 960
>>
>>51556704
>I guess that's the new normal?
Not him but that's been normal for quite a while now. What planet have you been living on? Go check old reviews.
>>
>>51556757
Exactly, you get a pile of shit that doesn't deliver what you want. A 1080p/60fps experience at nearly max settings.
>>
>>51556783
I think for most people price trumps experience for parts. It becomes a game of what are you willing to put up with for what you want to pay
>>
>>51556783
You're a right bucket of sunshine, aren't you?

Both the 960 and the 380 will perform totally adequately at 1920x1080. You'll have to turn down some settings but overall they're brilliant mid ranged cards and will most probably last for at least two years.
>>
>>51556829
But why not just buy a console at that point? I mean if you're okay with sub-par visuals and performance you don't need a PC for vidya.
>>
>>51556856
well you need a pc for other things, not just gaming. the single most important part for gaming is the GPU though, so thats where that price comparison comes in. Because of this, the GPU becomes a dedicated part for games, kinda like how the whole of the console is dedicated to gaming. so for $250 I can get a WiiU or a good graphics card, and thats why PC will always be better for it
>>
>>51556856
Reductio ad absurdum

Just because someone is willing to compromise a little does not mean they are willing to eat a bucket of shit. They difference between a console and a 380 playing at slightly less than max settings is quite extreme.
>>
>>51556896
Which is why this thread is rather pointless. You don't need a dedicated consumer GPU for anything else but gaming and neither devices(380 or 960) deliver top performance at a noticeable visual difference to a console.
>>
>>51556777
Nice trips.

My last card was a 5770, which worked fine for me since I don't really play graphic intensive vidya.

Fallout 4 was the only AAA game in years that I've actually wanted to play, and I have never been more disappointing in my life.
>>
>>51556975
I would say that 1080p at 50 fps on high/ultra for $185 is much better than a console for $300
>>
>>51556979
That 5770 probably would have done you for FO4 as well at 720p.

Are you actually surprised that Bethesda funked up? Look at *all* of their other games. They require serious amounts of self delusion to get into, to the point where you might as well be playing a tabletop game.
>>
>>51557027
I guess you have to know what you're okay with.
>>
380 beats 960 8/10.

Go with that.
>>
Should I get the 960 or the 380? I have a ass rock Z77 and an i5 3570k

What do?
>>
>>51556975
A G3258 + GTX 950 can do med/high (god Rays off) 1080p 60FPS FO4. Given how poorly optimized the game is there are still occasional drops but at that point it's a mAtter of the game being shit, which will be addressed eventually. Even my 4790k + GTX 980 experiences drops at ultra 1080p w/ med God Rays. FO4 barely looks any different on ultra PC as compared to consoles because the only major difference is AA and draw distance. Yes mods will fix that but right now this is what we have. Mods will only be able to unfuck so much of bethesdas mess.
>>
>>51556848

This.

I honestly haven't run into many issues with my 960 at all. I'm running 3 1080p monitors (although I only use one for gaming) and when it comes to games usually it's not a matter of turning settings down as much as maybe not maxing them out.
>>
tfw baller as fuck with r9 270x
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.