[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For the non-Linuxfags: if you refuse to use Linux, how the fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
For the non-Linuxfags: if you refuse to use Linux, how the fuck are you protecting yourself from Microsoft/Apple/NSA/CIA/GCHQ botnets?

I highly doubt you can do that. Even on Linux it's challenging but not impossible.
>>
What botnet? Would you care to cite a news article.
>>
I use Linux but I still have a Google account on my phone so it really doesn't matter.
>>
>>51544375
But if you're actively avoiding botnets, doesn't that actually make you more suspicious?
>>
>>51544375
linsux is for tards obsd/mach/neXT here smq fgt
>>
Its because I gave up the dream. There is no privacy.
>>
>>51544375
I really don't care
>>
>implying I'm not safe on Windows XP

>implying I will ever buy another Windows let alone some shitty cheap Linux shit
>>
But how am I supposed to play those AAA games on a hefty machine running that veggie burger of an OS?
>>
>>51544375
I'm fairly new, but isn't the hardware backdoored anyway? Even if you run Linux or BSD or whatever, they still can listen in?

Serious question, I was under the impression that this stuff was bigger than OS level.
>>
>>51544557
That's true, but there is still some solution, like blocking the backdoor with a firewall, or buying a non-infected motherboard.
>>
>>51544503
congratulations. you're safe from everything except everything except microsoft

>>51544557
ultimately you're still much safer on free software, even if it's running on nonfree hardware.
>>
>>51544601
>>51544621
Thanks for the replies. I do run a free software distribution, and now I'm going to have to find out about a non infected motherboard.
>>
>being this fucking delusional
>>
>>51544557
No the hardware does not have a backdoor. People have theorized that a backdoor could possibly exist but this theory doesn't prove that one exists right now.
>>
>>51546130
Everything has a backdoor I should know I'm in you're mom's right now
>>
File: 1404964785347.png (289 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1404964785347.png
289 KB, 1000x1000
>>51546231
>>
i'm not, because i don't give a shit
>>
underage fags pls go
>>
>>51544503
>linux
>buy
pick one
>>
>>51544557
yea the hardware, specifically skylake clus and any hard drive all have firmware backdoors. but that's like saying since your back door at your house is unlocked, its okay to leave all of the front door, side door, and windows wide open 24/7 with a few signs in the yard saying so.
>>
>>51546350
You can buy Linux from ebay and pretty much anywhere.
>>
>>51544375
You cant rscape them on Linux u fuck.

Whonix+libreboot and some other program +encryption + airgap only gives you little bit breathing room

they got this spy shit in your fucking hardware not only in software In Your Hardware
>>
>>51544375
Nice bait faggotron
>>
>>51544375
>You enter a room with 20 boxes
>You look in some of the boxes, finding nothing of interest, old photos, junk etc.
>You notice one of the boxes has a padlock
>You forget about the other boxes and decide to come back with some bolt cutters
>What ever is worth being locked up is also worth finding
>>
File: 78621158.jpg (1 MB, 2291x1525) Image search: [Google]
78621158.jpg
1 MB, 2291x1525
>>51544375
>how the fuck are you protecting yourself from Microsoft/Apple/NSA/CIA/GCHQ botnets
>>
>>51544375
if you use the internet, you are not safe from the botnet
you -need- to stop using the internet to be safe

lead us by example
>>
>>51546411
>Being tinfoil hat paranoid
>>
>>51546471
its in Citizenfour document.
>>
>>51546507
>A movie told me to be scared
>>
>>51546600
obama and bush also told you to be scaired
>>
>>51546600
its document you fucking idiot
>>
>>51546130
This is false, pretty much all storage hardware (and hardware in general) has a backdoor.

To be fair, however, it's the developers and manufacturers who put that in, the intelligence agencies just take advantage of it.

Kind of like the USB thing...no one was saying the intelligence people designed it, they just took advantage of a security hole and didn't tell anyone about it.

Basically, if you want to complain to somebody about how easy it is to violate your privacy, complain to the people you buy shit from.
>>
>the NSA is literally using your tax dollars to astroturf on /g/
How does this make you feel?
>>
>>51546730
also not true. partially true in some situations at best.
>>
>>51546737
>someone is paid to analyze my shitposting
thats quite a shit job
>>
>>51546730
If you're so certain there is a backdoor, then it won't be hard to cite any single example that has proven that the backdoor does indeed exist. Whether somebody has exploited the backdoor or not isn't important here, only the fact that the backdoor had existed at the time of the report.
>>
>>51546737
Feels enriching man. I get paid $9001/h to shitpost for the JIDF.
>>
>>51544375
If you think running GNU/Linux will keep you out of the reach of the botnet your clearly deluded desu
>>
>>51546870
It will. It means that there won't be botnets running on your computer. GNU/Linux doesn't mean that you can control who sees your network traffic once it leaves your router.
>>
>>51544375
>protecting yourself from Microsoft/Apple/NSA/CIA/GCHQ botnets?
What? All the organizations you listed are here to help us. Why do we need protection from them?
>>
File: traitor.jpg (71 KB, 630x555) Image search: [Google]
traitor.jpg
71 KB, 630x555
>>
>>51546922
Go away NSA. Snowden being a faggot doesn't make the leaks any less valid.
>>
>>51546902
Well I am not an American/British Citizen so their intelligence agencies have no right to monitor my Personal Computer.

>Triggered
>>
Did anyone else notice the Resolution of OP's image
>Illuminati confirmed
>>
>>51546978
They actually do given the fact that you aren't American or British. What's supposed to happen is that a government shouldn't spy on their own citizens when there is no real suspicion of a crime or conspiracy. Other people's citizens in other people's countries are not really covered under such an ideal.
>>
>>51546786
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/enterprise-security/what-is-vpro-technology-video.html
http://libreboot.org/faq/#intel
>>
>>51544393
20% of the tech related news articles of the past years have been about that, are you blind?
>>
>>51544393
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSA+%2F+WINDOWS+

>>51544375
>Even on Linux it's challenging but not impossible.
It only depends which data you have and what is your use of the internet.
Obviously, if you're Edward Snowden it will be challenging, but for a normie, it's not that difficult. Just don't use services from companies that sells and gives your data to the NSA.
>>
>>51547073
Thanks for that. I appreciate hard citable facts in a sea of wishy washy 4chan rhetoric.
>>
>>51544516
>what is dualbooting
Keep Windows for your games and use Linux for everything else. With the boot times achievable with SSDs there's no excuse not to anymore.

>>51546786
>>51547073
>>51547167
http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
>>
>>51544375
I have priorities in my life. Spending my time avoiding "botnets" is actually doing more harm to the world than good. There are many other things I could be doing to make a difference. Learn to choose your battles.
>>
>>51546809
Lol so you could say the amount u get paid is OVER 9000!!!!!!
>>
File: idp.jpg (23 KB, 448x373) Image search: [Google]
idp.jpg
23 KB, 448x373
>>51544375
Because it's retarded to think the botnet hasn't already won. We live in a world with social security numbers, credit reports, and biometric data. The status quo already won fag, the government/corporate interests (two sides of the same coin, really) already owns you. You literally cannot escape.

Being a freetard is like being a plantation nigger in 1820 and saying "I aint gonna use massa's shovel to dig this ditch, I'll dig with my shitty flimsy shovel me and the other slaves cooked up because using massa's shovel is slavery."

For what purpose? You're already owned, boy.
>>
>>51544375
>implying that every linux distro isn't part of some chinese botnet
>inb4 open source
>>
>>51547383
Besides the nigger part, since I'm black myself, everything you said is right. Only a fool thinks linux is some sort of mighty protector of privacy. That being said, I love linux.
>>
>>51547523
>I'm black myself

So what, I am too. Would be nice if 4chan wasn't becoming some facebook tier retard bin where people can't view things objectively and are getting "offended" at shitposts in 2015.

Come on, it's the current year.
>>
>>51544375
>protect

Why would you be too paranoid about this? Just place your files to a PC that never connects to the internet.
>>
>>51544375
I'm not avoiding it. what risks do I take in doing so?
ones that actually effect me please
>>
>>51544375
I don't need to because I have nothing to hide :^)
>>
BSD. I use Linux, but BSD is a viable alternative. And minix. And debatably TempleOS.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.