[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thinking of buying a kindle in the sales to save money on books,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: kindle.jpg (63 KB, 450x257) Image search: [Google]
kindle.jpg
63 KB, 450x257
thinking of buying a kindle in the sales to save money on books, but i've heard there are issues with using torrented .epub files, is there any truth to this /g/?
>>
>>51541091
Haven't heard or seeing this with my Kobo. Bet it'd be the same with a Kindle.
>>
>>51541091
It's not an issue of "torrented" epubs, but epubs in general have to be converted to amazon format before you can use them on kindle.
>>
>>51541292
after conversion is there anything wrong with page formatting/layout?
>>
>>51541667
I don't think there's any difference between epub and mobi/awz format conversion.
(there's small difference between formats anyway, like footnote support)

But beware, it would be converted just fine but some editors (like some FeedBooks's books) have some fancy formatting. I can read it well with Calibre in epub and mobi format but my ereader (Kobo Aura) shit itself.

However almost everything you'll be torrenting don't have this default.
>>
>>51541804
thanks for the tip anon,

so is there a certain ereader you would recommend price/feature wise?
>>
>>51541885
I don't know about Kindle but, according to the reviews, the Kobo Glo HD and the Tea Touch Lux 3 (or PocketBook Touch Lux 3) are the best in the market. If you're francophone don't use a Kobo, as French language support is the shittiest (can't use the dictionary outside a book or see a definition inside another definition).

The latest Kindle Paperwhite is good (and overpriced, as the Voyage is) too, and Amazon will certainly put every other brands in suicide watch with indecent promotions.

But you can get almost every new ereader, as they are pretty much the same. It's a very competitive sector, in a different, and better, way than smartphone's sector is.
>>
>>51542025
>The latest Kindle Paperwhite is good (and overpriced

But it's £80, you think that's worth it? I may get it because I've never seen it drop below £100 until now.

I'm pretty sure if I bitch enough I can get them to remove the ads.

>It's a very competitive sector
I was under the impression that amazon just dominates it, I haven't seen many paperwhites, and never seen a voyage but I see the standard kindle everywhere here (UK).
>>
>>51542025
that's all the convincing I need to get the paperwhite, ty
>>
>>51542093
fyi you can make the ad folder on the kindle read only, stops the ads appearing
>>
Sometimes torrents are OCR'ed and full of typos.

Been trying to find a good version of Clive Barker's Cabal for years, all the torrents are the same unreadable typo filled piece of crap.

Even bought it from the Kobo store only to find someone had fucked up and it was a completely different book labelled Cabal.
>>
>>51542820
Join anonymouse private tracker, they are the best for ebooks
>>
>>51542847
Info/link?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.