[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows desktop will disappear in 10 years. Smartphones are getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: B9regjIIAAA8hqS.png (151 KB, 600x302) Image search: [Google]
B9regjIIAAA8hqS.png
151 KB, 600x302
Windows desktop will disappear in 10 years.
Smartphones are getting more and more powerful and RISC will dominate and the server and enterprise sectors are getting more accessible and flexible thanks to containers.
The desktop is losing ground on both sides, being replaced by Chromebooks for media consumption and server side software for productivity.
There will be no year of the Linux desktop because it's now irrelevant and every niche software will end up inside a VM.
For all intents and purposes Linux won.
>>
When corporations say "the desktop is dead" they mean "we hope that user-controlled computing will die because it's not the most profitable thing in the world"

Don't buy it

They want you to use web apps and other remote services despite the cheap and powerful computers available because it gives them control and takes what little control you had away

They want to make available computers less powerful to coerce you to do this

I'm going to fight the year of the linux desktop every step of the way, and so should every linux user that gives a shit about computing. We're going backwards in time because giving people data wasn't good for people that wanted to maximize profits from data - only web browsers are horrible emacsware and dumb terminals were very advanced for their time.
>>
>>51541286
Just because you're a "power user" doesn't mean everyone else is. DVD and CD and Blu-Ray and SACD aren't dead, but they certainly aren't thriving in the face of streaming/cloud based competition. Desktop client-side computing has similar limitations.
>>
>>51541320
>Desktop client-side computing has similar limitations.

That is a terrible analogy. I haven't had to use my optical drive in years and I don't do cloud computing
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68 KB, 305x196
>10 years

In 10 years when you are finally out of highschool and completed college you will enter the real world and realize how dumb you are
>>
>>51541383
What point are you arguing? Are you trying to say you're a pirate so you don't use streaming services nor physical media?

Cloud-based services are what enable the cost-effective chromebook and smartphone platforms. They certainly share things in common with the cloud-based Netflix and Spotify.
>>
>>51541412
>mm i will just throw some ad hominem, that will do
>>51541383
The problem is that a lot of people is using cloud based solutions more and more, and soon you will be forced one way or another to do your computing on the "cloud", i mean just see Adobe and Office.
>>
>>51541507
what are you talking about? i dont know what planet you are living on, but if you think in 10 years enterprises will have magically ditched their desktops you are literally a child
>>
>>51541507
I don't think this is about being forced to do anything. It's just a question of what the mainstream happens to be doing and what they currently think is the best way to use their time.
>>
File: images.png (34 KB, 349x421) Image search: [Google]
images.png
34 KB, 349x421
>>51540929
>Chromebooks
0% market share
>>
>>51541526
There is not a better system than server based software for enterprises, allowing them to have full control over the production workflow, version control and security, i mena just look how succesful Docker has become in what 2 years?
>>
>>51541581
docker is only useful for certain things. enterprises already have control over that shit, it is called active directory
>>
>>51540929
Dude, have you ever actually tried to manage Linux computers en masse? Jesus, Linux may win (and I'd be happy enough if it did) but the management software needs a real boost.
>>
>>51541526
>magically ditched
As if enterprises don't have upgrade cycles and consider their options every 5 years or less. Nothing magic about moving to thin client or mobile devices.
>>
Chromebooks would be kinda neat if they could run Android apps, then you'd have an OS that has proper mouse support, a good browser, and wide app support, which is all most people need.
But you'd also be stuck with Google botnet
>>
>>51542106
I forgot to mention that it'd also support both ARM and x86 which is one of the biggest advantages over Windows
>>
>>51541507
>Adobe in browser
Kill me now
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.